• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DFW takes SWA to task because of Denver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok Flyboeingjets, you win. I see your point.

Forgive my "arrogant spew" it's been a long 3+ years of shite after shite.

Your pilots and FA's where nothing but accommodating and a class act when I commuted to SFO via OAK from SEA. Your mgt/employee relations should be copied and envied.

Best

Koko

lowecur said:
1) ...Southwest, which would be able to keep its short haul flights at Love Field and initiate long-haul traffic from DFW.

2) "It is beyond my understanding why Southwest would choose to go 650 miles away to do business in Denver, when they can go eight miles up the road to existing empty gates where a $22-million dollar incentive offer awaits them," said Mayor Mike Moncrief of Fort Worth.

Mayer Moncrief cracks me up. Nowhere does he mention that costs at Denver have improved relative to other airports. The bag eating automatic baggage system is no more and the front range has grown so much that Colorado Springs no longer looks as attractive.

1) Sounds like a great deal if AA would also move its RJ flying to Love and keep the big planes at DFW. The passenger would love that too. Lets start a light rail project from DFW to Love. Great idea from DFW, and cheap too! ;)

2) Someone should explain to the good Mayor that in order to serve North COLORADO passengers a carrier has to go to an airport closer than DFW. I guess the world revolves around North Texas.

On a more serious note, I hope no one gets too upset by this issue. Politics is always an imperfect compromise made by imperfect people. I tend to debate the faulty logic I see in WA arguments.

I personally don't think the WA is protecting jobs at AA anymore. With Delta reduced at DFW and competitors with costs as low as SWA at DFW I think it would be a small blip to AA. But it would put the DFW planners on notice and they would find more innovative ways to operate. DFW would eventually get to be a better airport for airlines to operate out of with WA repeal. DFW is offering $22 million only becuase they value their monopoly much more than that.

Last edited:
Southwest Responds to DFW Criticisms

DEN Service: DFW Reacts, SWA Responds
Our announcement of service to DEN beginning in early 2006 triggered a reaction from DFW Airport officials. In response to their claim that our flying to DEN should prove that we are also capable of providing service at DFW, Southwest says the following:

• Regarding the existence of an entrenched hub carrier at DEN, Southwest already serves airports dominated by one carrierperfect examples are DTW, PHL, and PIT. The difference between DEN and DFW is that United has more than 40 percent of the market share and operates over 400 daily nonstops at DEN, while American has more than 80 percent of the market share and almost 900 flights at DFW.
• One of the attractive qualities of DEN is the reduction of United’s service. DFW has not been able to maintain a consistently profitable low-fare carrier in its history, due to American’s mega-hub. (For example, see AirTran story at right.)
• The average taxi-out time at DFW is two minutes higher than at DEN, and the taxi-in time at DFW is almost twice the time it takes at DEN.
• Additionally, there is no additional airport in Denver. Southwest has a choice of airports in the DFW metroplex, and we choose DAL, our home for the last 34 years.
"We want to serve Love Field; it’s efficient, it’s here, it’s our home base, and it fits us perfectly," said Gary. "Most businesses have the right to choose where they operate. I don’t know why it would be any different for an airline."

I was looking for a following up article that Eric Torbenson (writes for Dallas Morning News) in which he debunks a common argument that folks use but I couldn't find it. I'll summarize: "Taxpayers would have their money wasted if DFW shrinks & would be hit with a rising failure rate & the loses would be absorbed by the government." He reponded by saying that the government isn't liable for DFW, DFW is run like a business...airlines, vendors, other businesses pay for the operation of DFW....yes there is money from the government paid to some government workers who work there but the bulk of the operational money comes from the airlines that operate from there....if DFW was to take a hit financiailly, the government isn't out money, the users are....that's the way it is at most airports & is wise (the government should be funding airport operations)....bondholders are the financiing sources for most expansion & operation so for these entities to be protected from competition he argues is a bit different than what occurs in most businesses.

One last article posted below on the WA issue.

[SIZE=+1]Provision to allow flights to Missouri must also pass House

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]12:00 AM CDT on Friday, October 21, 2005

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

WASHINGTON – The Senate was poised Thursday to approve a provision that would allow commercial flights between Dallas Love Field and cities in Missouri.
The provision is contained in a $142 billion fiscal 2006 transportation spending bill.
But Missouri remains a long way from becoming the eighth state that can be served with interstate flights from Love Field.
The spending bill now goes to a conference committee where congressional negotiators must reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions before final approval.
The Missouri provision, sponsored by Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond, R-Mo., is not in the House version.
Commercial service at Love Field is restricted by the Wright amendment, a 1979 federal law that limits service to Texas and its four adjacent states – Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.
The 1997 Shelby amendment added three more states – Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi. _________________________

Recap

An agreement was made that DFW be built and supported. SWA declined to oblige the agreement claiming they were not a party to it. This agreement was determined to be of enough importance that when Braniff did not fully comply with the terms they were forced to do so, by a court order. (Braniff stayed at Love and matched SWA on every leg, they were forced by a court to stop and leave)

The WA is the agreement in place now for Love Field, and SWA is most certainly a party to it this time. The terms of that agreement should be continuously and vehemently imposed on SWA. No less than they were on Braniff.

Remember the bumper sticker that read: "Fly SWA, Herb needs the money". This is the only thing that has really changed. Herb (SWA) doesn't need the money. DFW does! DFW needs revenue and renewal. SWA wants to legislate an inappropriate advantage, again. Unfortunately, these days SWA still has the momentum. They are a political juggernaught and somehow still make the public believe they are the underdog. It will be enormously inequitable, but I'm afraid the WA might be lifted.

Beyond just normal bickering with you SWA folks I'm wondering if you are at all worried about a backlash? Herb was quite content with the situation at Love because I think he new how badly it screwed everyone else at the time. Some municipalities have already acted to preclude the dilemna your airline creates with airport problems (like AUS) and BFI just recently rebuffed you. In the time after the WA is repealed there is going to be a frenzy in the Dallas aviation world an a lot of expense and problems for everyone, except you...with your nice little empire. The tide may already be turning. The SWA effect could have a new meaning.

Chase: It is probably just me, but those articles you just posted I think illustrate the fact that SWA will not truly compete in the Dallas marketplace, to everyone elses detriment. SWA is actually afraid of a free market in Dallas outside of its protected Love Field enclave.

FBJ: People don't dislike riding on Legacy airlines and large airports as much as you think. I think the big airports have a sort of renesance (sp) coming. I have put on here before so maybe you have heard it from me and maybe not. I used to fly a lot on airlines in my former career. I was a SWA Rapid Rewards customer and earned about 4 or 5 tickets or so, I think I ran about 50k through that deal in about 3 years so I was a pretty good SWA customer. I took the family to California and we had a great time, but... A coworker of mine focused on AA miles. I got my rewards much quicker than he did but when he did earn the free stuff it was far better than what I got. He went to Africa and then later he went to Octoberfest in Germany. Man did I feel cheated! You see, on some level, it is not about what you pay, it about what you get. When your in business your travel dollars are really just money that is already spent, so if either airline can get you from A to B you start to focus on what this money can reward you with. Except, when the non-market, geopolitical craziness is going on, like it has been. When that is no longer a factor people will gravitate back to Legacies and hub airports.

Flopgut said:
Except, when the non-market, geopolitical craziness is going on, like it has been. When that is no longer a factor people will gravitate back to Legacies and hub airports.

I too think Legacies will see a renaissance of sorts. It will definitely start in earnest in 2006, and it will be even stronger if oil goes down as predicted.

I respect your opinion but we do differ on what is right for DFW and Love field. I also think right now, in 2005, SWA is asking for repeal when it looks like they have too much of an advantage. SWA has had a big advantage in the years after 9/11. It looks bad from that point of view. But times are once again changing. 2006 going forward it doesn't look that way to me. The playing field will begin leveling out and the perks being offered by Legacies will once again allow them to attract passengers at a higher RASM. Populations are going up everywhere and even RJ loads are improving and contributing more to the bottom line. Since legislation takes so long to work out, this is the right time to work on repealing the WA to allow an all domestic carrier a chance to stay viable at Love field. Particularly as international legacies regain their dominance. It's only going to get tougher for SWA after their unprecedented period of success after 9/11.

Last edited:
Flopgut said:
You see, on some level, it is not about what you pay, it about what you get. When your in business your travel dollars are really just money that is already spent, so if either airline can get you from A to B you start to focus on what this money can reward you with.

I agree, SWA needs to offer lower fares and keep costs lower just to stay in the game and attract travelers.

Last edited:
Fbj:

I respect your opinion as well. Your last several posts made particulairly good points. Do you think that going to DFW could contain some good opportunities for SWA? I think that a bit of "tough love" might be in order here. If SWA went to DFW it would give the company a exercise in adversity and a chance to grow in discipline. And, would also equip the airline for long term growth. There are a LOT of passengers over there that you really don't have access to. If/when you win a repeal of the WA, is it going to be that good of a deal long term? The result would, of course, be a airline/passenger mess in the North Texas market near term, which usually results favorably for SWA. But I think SWA might be stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.

Looking out 20 years I think SWA would do better at DFW. You would certainly regain the martyr/underdog status, and all you have to do is accept a pretty good deal from the airport.

In New York, SWA could have went to a major airport but they instead went to an out of the way airport, Islip. SWA is missing out on a lot of opportunity in that market. I don't really know if SWA is being penny wise or pound foolish. SWA is serving some passengers that might not have flown at the other airports. Instead, JetBlue is flying out of the major airports there. I know it was tough to get gates at Midway back in the 1980's and legal maneuvering was needed to get them. Now its a great airport to fly out of and the city loves it. O'hare is working a new construction project even with record travel at Midway. As good as studying the past is it is in the past. The future is a new ball game.

I know that Braniff was treated unfairly over 25 years ago. We can't change that and I don't think it makes a case for restricting SWA now.

Besides the debate on whether the WA is needed to protect DFW, fair, or economically stifling in the 21st century, it would be disruptive and painful for SWA to leave Love. The HQ is right next to the runways and it is a short bus ride over to the terminal. It is part of the culture to be at Love field. Every employee that eats at the upstairs cafeteria gets an up close view of our aircraft landing and taking off. I dig that. I think it helps keep the company focused on flight operations and is always a reminder of SWA's tough beginnings. How often do politicians ask a company to move their headquarters for their convienance? Seems ridiculous to me.

I don't think having some flights at each airport is a good idea. Connecting flights via bus or taxi are out of the question.

I don't know if DFW would be good for SWA long term. Maybe it would. But If flying out of DFW is such a good deal for a LCC, why isn't ATA, Airtran, Frontier and JetBlue filling those empty gates?? Airtran is actually reducing flights.

I also think Dallas and Fort Worth could use 2 airports as they grow. Maybe not this year but definitely by 2008.

Last edited:
Fbj

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. On a side note, I meant to post something on the "Southwest propaganda" thread recently. I work for CAL and we get a pretty healthy dose of SWA propaganda that is negative. CAL management pay themselves very well and are not at all bashfull about making the claim that they are the "best in the biz". Which is really ridiculous, obviously SWA is the best. If we compare the two (scale the economies), I don't see how CAL mgt should make above minimum wage! Not only that, there are a legion of these mgt types! WAY more than we need. They inhabit a huge highrise downtown and sip lattes all day, all the while thinking "this would be a pretty good job if it weren't for all these airplanes"! So they very subtly put out the SWA negative vibe to throw the employees off their trail; It is heaped in with all the other propaganda we get every month.

I do think DFW would be a good long term move for SWA. Thats where the international leisure travelers touch down with their bags of money. Anxious to see the "states" on their month long holidays. You could sell them an unlimited pass for the 30-45 days they are here like Quantas does for Australia. Furthermore, it would cement SWA as underdog for another 25 years. Additionally, it would be a strategic hub for SWA which is more emphasis than any other LCC would do in Dallas. I think that would make it work.

Also, I agree that having flights at both airports is not wise and light rail or a bus is stupid. (That is what AA is going to do, for better or worse)

I do take issue with part of this:

"Besides the debate on whether the WA is needed to protect DFW, fair, or economically stifling in the 21st century, it would be disruptive and painful for SWA to leave Love....How often do politicians ask a company to move their headquarters for their convienance? Seems ridiculous to me."

It is ridiculous. The last time it happened, that I can recall, was right there at Love Field, to Braniff and every other airline there. If you can imagine how painful it would be for SWA to leave, imagine how much more that pain would be amplified by the fact that another airline got to stay, and take over everything your company has built there? It would be devastating, and I would not wish that on anyone.

All other parties to the Love Field debacle were richly deservant of some equitable "soft landing" result. That was the WA. Although it was long ago, repealing it will tear open that scar like it was yesterday. So what do we do? If we repeal the WA your airline will be just fine and continue/enhance record profits. Everyone else gets screwed, again. This has to end, it has to be a two way street. I know business is not a "fairy tale land" and fairness has no place, really. But there will be a backlash. Repealing the WA will be one of your last "stunts", is it that important? Was it to Herb?

Flopgut said:
Repealing the WA will be one of your last "stunts", is it that important? Was it to Herb?

Herb is not looking at a longer upgrade, the possibility of future concessions and the devaluation of our stock options. This fight is personal with current SWA pilots, even if it is self serving, just as self serving as American and DFW are with it. Outside of it affecting me, even if I was not a Southwest pilot, I could not , for the life of me , understand how a Amendment that affects ticket prices would even last one minute anywhere else in this country. People outside of the Metroplex could care less about AA or DFW, they just want to go to or from Dallas for $99. And that is the edge we have.

Latest resources

Back