DFW takes SWA to task because of Denver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lowecur said:
Well the numbers on this deal certainly make ol Herb and Gary look rather silly.

Same guy always stiring the Southwest Pot. Why dont you go on vacation for a while or just go away period!

Jim Smyth said:
Same guy always stiring the Southwest Pot. Why dont you go on vacation for a while or just go away period!
I'm the straw that stirs the drink, Jimmy!:D

lowecur said:
Well the numbers on this deal certainly make ol Herb and Gary look rather silly.

:smash:

Its just the DFW spin masters that look silly.

The debate has reached ridiculous speed. You miss the whole point. DFW is a larger market and markets their size have 2 or more major airports with passenger service.

There is no good reason to restrict North Texas to one airport. It's not strictly a zero sum game. DFW and even AA will easily survive the repeal. North Texas, I'm predicting, will have an economic boom related from the repeal that will float all boats, even DFW's and AA's.

FlyBoeingJets said:
North Texas, I'm predicting, will have an economic boom related from the repeal that will float all boats, even DFW's and AA's.

Economic boom for North Texas???.... A bit over the top wouldn't you say.
SWA's will certainly benefit, AA...yea right.

But joe blow north texan and it's economy....BOOM?

Hardly, SWA's ability to fly long haul from love will not equate to a Boom for North Texas. It will benefit YOU...and your bottom line, and please none of this "we'll save the consumer XXX amount of monies from those nasty price gougers", that argument is disingenuous and tiring....Honestly, would you be saying that if you were hired by a legacy? I thought so.

Cheers

koko nw said:
Economic boom for North Texas???.... A bit over the top wouldn't you say.
SWA's will certainly benefit, AA...yea right.

But joe blow north texan and it's economy....BOOM?

Hardly, SWA's ability to fly long haul from love will not equate to a Boom for North Texas. It will benefit YOU...and your bottom line, and please none of this "we'll save the consumer XXX amount of monies from those nasty price gougers", that argument is disingenuous and tiring....Honestly, would you be saying that if you were hired by a legacy? I thought so.

Cheers

Yes, a boom. It may take a little while but it will happen. That is what competition breeds. I have a 2-3 year outlook. Allowing DFW to continue to dictate fees and authorize huge projects with no checks or balances will cause their fees to continue to rise. DFW is not fighting for survival, they are fighting for total control over their destiny. I don't want to give them the room to continue to flex their arrogant attitude.

If I worked for AA I would be upset at the BK protection my competitors are getting. I would wish for a SWA like management/employee relationship. I would like everyone to fly out of the airport my business model demands. I, of course, would try to force everyone to come to DFW so AA could put them out of business. What's your point?

I don't expect you to like the truth of the logic. But if you just want to spew out opinions contrary to logic and claim it is sound, I will point that out.

C'mon folks. Do all you Wright supporters really buy all the BS DFW management puts out? Tell me its not insulting to your intelligence.

And be honest. As an originating passenger, do you prefer DFW's layout or Love's layout? As a connecting passenger, tell me DFW doesn't make you crazy if you need to get to another terminal.

FlyBoeingJets said:
As a connecting passenger, tell me DFW doesn't make you crazy if you need to get to another terminal.

While I'm not a DFW apologist, the Skylink train at DFW has made things 1000% easier to transit between terminals than the old airport train.

SKC said:
While I'm not a DFW apologist, the Skylink train at DFW has made things 1000% easier to transit between terminals than the old airport train.

Apparently I am out of date, I haven't been to DFW in awhile. All I remember is the old train.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Yes, a boom. It may take a little while but it will happen. That is what competition breeds. I have a 2-3 year outlook. Allowing DFW to continue to dictate fees and authorize huge projects with no checks or balances will cause their fees to continue to rise. DFW is not fighting for survival, they are fighting for total control over their destiny. I don't want to give them the room to continue to flex their arrogant attitude.

Like what you guy's do at LUV? But it's OK for you guy's right? Because SWA's is the the benevolent carrier.

If I worked for AA I would be upset at the BK protection my competitors are getting. I would wish for a SWA like management/employee relationship. I would like everyone to fly out of the airport my business model demands. I, of course, would try to force everyone to come to DFW so AA could put them out of business. What's your point?

My point is you have SWA's blinders on. You should check in the mirror to see who has the arrogant attitude. But your dead on accurate on the mgt/employee relationship, theirs none better.

I don't expect you to like the truth of the logic. But if you just want to spew out opinions contrary to logic and claim it is sound, I will point that out.

Whatever dude, your logic? Again please explain how N. Texas economy will BOOM 2-3 years from now?

koko nw said:
Like what you guy's do at LUV? But it's OK for you guy's right? Because SWA's is the the benevolent carrier.

My point is you have SWA's blinders on. You should check in the mirror to see who has the arrogant attitude. But your dead on accurate on the mgt/employee relationship, theirs none better.

Whatever dude, your logic? Again please explain how N. Texas economy will BOOM 2-3 years from now?

If AA keeps the long haul monopoly at DFW fares will go up more than if Love gets to do long haul. Higher fares = fewer passengers. Fewer passengers = fewer airplanes and less money to be made by vendors, hotels, etc. More passengers = more revenue for both aviation and other industries in North Texas. Some would call this the Southwest effect.

I would love to see higher fares. They are going up too slowly and should be higher because of fuel prices. I would love for the hub and spoke guys to be making money along with Southwest, Airtran, Continental and Alaska. If oil were just a little lower AA would be making money. Then cost cutting would stop and non-fuel CASMs would stop falling. But one problem with fares rising too high or too quickly would be reduced travel. That I don't want to see. The hub and spoke guys are getting more and more efficient as SWA fuel hedges are starting to become less of a factor. SWA already announced fuel costs will be $400 million more next year. Some say $500 million. Cost cutting is around the corner for Southwest. Without it I predict at least one quarterly loss unless fares rise or fuel retreats in 2006.

There is a balance out there where hub and spoke and LCCs can both make money. I wish we would find it and stay there. But I fear the pendulum will swing when international flying can subsidize domestic flying again. Then there is that 100 seater thing that I predict will come to some or all of the big carriers. Low cost 100 seater operators will challenge the LCCs and swing the pendulum back toward those that have them and international flying.

But I don't think arrogant airport management types will help any of us. Its like dealing with the government.

You think I'm arrogant?? You don't know me very well. I am looking in the mirror. The rearview mirror that is.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back