Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, I agree with this guy.

A captain I once flew with told me this:
Passengers hear an average of 26 announcements from the moment they walk into the terminal until they reach the cabin of the plane. Then the FAs drown them in the same announcements about getting in their seat, storing their bags, etc. Then the cockpit crew tells them about the flight, and on and on and on. All before they even take off. Once enroute, unless there is going to be a delay, they really don't want to hear from you. Put simply, they pay us to get them from point A to point B on schedule. If we can't get them to point B, or if we can't get them there on schedule, then they want to know why and when they will arrive. Otherwise, leave them alone.

He and I flew together a few times and since there is an airshow on our aircraft, he would tell me not to do the PA at cruise since the "folks" don't want to be bothered... afterall, they've got all the info they need on the airshow. I never made PAs with this guy, it was nice.

Up until we pissed off some old bag FA. She wrote us up for not doing a PA and we both had to do a rug-dance in the CPO. Actually, we burried her in our counter-writeup and now he has a mark in her permanant file but that's another story. Point is, the company is stuck in yesteryear and still expects us to do PAs, so I do them. But I do so knowing full well 85% of the passengers just want me to shut it.

On my commute home last night, the pilot interrupts the movie, about the seat belt sign, wx on arrival... blah, blah, blah. Everyone in back was pissed because it was at a critical scene in the movie and because we heard something like 15 announcements on the ground due to a long taxi delay.

If it were up to me, we would do only two announcements:
1) On the ground welcoming the pax aboard.
2) On the descent telling the "folks" the arrival gate and weather... which they will probably not listen to anyway.

The old enroute announcement/ PA is out.

Hey, this is typical of the commie 'free press' (known around Detroit as 'The Daily Worker'). This writers a whack job...

Just my 02

People love to hear the Captain, his strong manly voice calms their fear of flying. Kids want to grow up to be pilots and the girls start fantasizing flirting with him after the flight. "This is your captain speaking" still means a lot to so many people.

Just called the TSA, the guy started laughing and was like, "wait don't tell me detroit free press." ahaha, that guy is gettin pwned

Latest resources

Back