Destin - Ft. Walton Beach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

Has anyone flown into DTS? Are there any issues with Eglin AFB being so close? Is there alot of traffic?

Any experiences would be helpful.:confused:

You will have to call Eglin Approach to get through the E/W or N/S VFR corridor in the restricted airspace. It's no problem at all. Just call 'em up, tell 'em who you are, and where you want to go (Destin or just through the corridor). Not sure about leaving but I'm sure you can reach ATC from the deck at Destin before you leave for a transponder code. I have only bounced there but it's easy getting in and out.

Good Luck,
shootr

Yeah I was just there a few weeks ago. We were IFR and had no problems. There was a lot of VFR traffic so keep your eyes peeled if it's nice out. Yes you can reach Eglin on the ground and get your clearance before launching.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

Since we're on the subject of Ft. Walton, ASA starts service from DFW in Aug.

Any suggestions on where to go hang out during the overnight? Maybe some good seafood joints?

Just curious what DFW has to do with Ft. Walton? When one is in FL and the other is in TX. I'm confused.

Just got back from there tonight. It's no problem at all IFR. Just remember that when you leave IFR you need to contact eglin clearance on the ground and then approach as well while you're on the ground. Don't forget to switch back to 122.8 for taking the active and takeoff and then go back to approach while airborne.

I believe CF34 was asking what to do on a layover in Destin, after landing on a flight from DFW.

Go to McGuire's Irish Pub and get the sampler and steak. It has been my favorite place to eat when I TDY to Eglin.

PUKE

DTS

I have made the trip many times VFR & IFR. Eglin is more than helpful.

McGuire's is a great place to eat. Also try the Back Porch for seafood.

The ladies are grumpy at the FBO unless you're in a turbine A/C.

Have Fun!

probablecause

Latest resources

Back