• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Desperately Seeking CFIs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What does the instructor cost the school? What is there to afford? Classrooms, offices and tables? That expense can be paid by the profit from one instructor alone (billing 120h * $25 profit = $3000.00/monthly).

If the school needs the money for the airplanes, it should be charged as airplane rates, not instructor rates.

And the owner of the school shouldn't make a profit because....? They did take the risk of starting the business.

Besides, there are other costs involved in having employees than just their pay rates. Workers comp, social security matching, etc. Why shouldn't the flight school tack onto the instructor rate to pay for this?

There is a lot more to business than what is on the surface.

And the owner of the school shouldn't make a profit because....? They did take the risk of starting the business.

Besides, there are other costs involved in having employees than just their pay rates. Workers comp, social security matching, etc. Why shouldn't the flight school tack onto the instructor rate to pay for this?

There is a lot more to business than what is on the surface.

Sure the flight school should turn a profit. However I think it is problematic as an instructor, to charge a student $80-100 for a few hours, when I only get $20-30. For most students, that's a lot of money, and when it makes so little difference for me, it makes it more difficult to charge the full amount for my time.

At the place I worked as CFII/MEI, a typical two hour session would be $20 for me, but $84 for the student. If I'm going to strive to the level of competency necessary to keep customers paying that much coming back day after day, I'd like more than a quarter of the transaction.

It would perhaps be more constructive to compare the profit margin a flight school makes on a flight instructor, to typical profit margins in other personal service industries featuring educated employees.

Hi!

A guy I know owns 1/2 a flying school in GRB. He was paying the instructors about $25 and charging the students $30-35 for the instruction. That seems more reasonable to me.

cliff
YIP

Most part 61 flight schools do not employee their CFIs, instead they are contractors which require more or less none of the above benefits that you talked about. I think a 80/20 split seems fair, and this is if, and a big if, the school is actively going out and finding students for their instructors. If they are not doing that, and you are a contractor, then you are getting ripped off.

Contract CFI's are getting $25/hr at Ann Arbor, that includes ground Inst time.

Latest resources

Back