Desirable Single Engine Time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

Hello Everyone, I have been Ferrying airplanes the last two months on the side, I am working for less than pretzels & cheese well maybe cheese crackers! I really have no complaints because the tips have been good, lots of learning & building some good time in different airplanes. I was wondering what make & models would be Considered Desirable Single Engine Time.

So Far I Have Ferried 12 Airplanes Since Early September 05, The One That Was Most Fun Was The Cessna T182RG 12.3 hours on the Hobbs clock! Owner was a very good tipper!

Thanks A Bunch For The Info.
Steven Rhine
CP-ASEL-IA
N7676U 1976 C-150M

I would say as much as you can get in any airplane until it allows you to fly a twin. Not many people I know of care what kind of single you flew unless its a caravan, pilatus, f-16. Just get 1200 of it and with as much actual as possible then thatll let you start flyin multis full time.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good thing going. Since you're asking about desirable single-engine time, I'd highly suggest that you add a CFI to your certificate list and that you spend some quality, one-on-one time with a few dozen students. Going through the process and getting a few hundred hours of dual given in your log book will teach you things about flying that is difficult to learn any other way. It will be of benefit for you for the remainder of you career.

'Sled

NW_Pilot said:
Hello Everyone, I have been Ferrying airplanes the last two months on the side, I am working for less than pretzels & cheese well maybe cheese crackers! I really have no complaints because the tips have been good, lots of learning & building some good time in different airplanes. I was wondering what make & models would be Considered Desirable Single Engine Time.

So Far I Have Ferried 12 Airplanes Since Early September 05, The One That Was Most Fun Was The Cessna T182RG 12.3 hours on the Hobbs clock! Owner was a very good tipper!

Thanks A Bunch For The Info.
Steven Rhine
CP-ASEL-IA
N7676U 1976 C-150M

Some good advice here already. Definitely get the CFI if you can. Doesn't much matter which piston single you fly, just keep flying 'em until you can get some multi time. One thought is that if you're at 400 hours with very little complex time, getting some RG may help with insurance requirements down the road. Other than that, just keep flying and try to sneak some multi time.

I tell people "Any time is valuable time until you have 1,500 hours and can get your ATP, after that point do your best to get as much multi-engine time as possible (vs. single engine time)."

Try to get some tailwheel time. Its amazing how much a conventional gear airplane will improve your flying skills over just flying nose-draggers....

Just fly whatever you can get your hands on, as far as single time it really doesn't matter what it is. IMC time helps though. You'll have ALOT of fun in tail draggers though, I love'em.

I tried my hand at ferrying airplanes this past summer. It was fun but it comes with a new set of problems. I have several hundred hours of tailwheel experience so most of the calls I recieved were for tailwheel airplanes. I took a PA12-150 and a RV-4 from Myrtle Beach to Jackson, CA. (Thanks Adam) All VFR dead recon with the help of a cheap GPS. The good: saw lots of America from 3000 ft and 80-100 kts., met lots of kind people, added ~75 hrs to the log book, ate at "The Big Texan" home of the 72 oz. steak, memories that will last a lifetime. The bad; sitting out IFR weather (one delay cost me a job interview at Mesa ironically I was stuck in Flagstaff), low pay dues to delays, two partial engine failures (unported fuel pickup on long descent into Albuquerque NM in the PA12 and trash in the fuel on a 3 year out of annual PA32), nearly knock unconcious in the RV-4 when I hit my head on the canopy during severe turbulence coming over the ridge cut east of ABQ, stuck in the Armagosa Desert (Beatty NV airport) with nothing but Ravens to talk to for five hours, flying at 12-13000 feet for hours to clear mountains then suffering from aching joints and gastrol intestinal bloating after landing, freezing my arse off those altitudes, taking five changes of underwear and the trip ends up taking eight days.
I would do it all again, it was the funnest flying I've ever done.

I have been doing it since mid September of this year. I do not have any tail wheel time wish I did. I like it a lot meet some interesting people. I get to fly many different airplanes. I hooked up with a broker he has given me 3 flights so far & E-Bay works very well for advertising! Most the time they don’t bid and just contact you via telephone.

oh! I don't mind flying SPIFR as long as the airplane is equipped and there is no ice. I charge my clients for my down time if the airplane is not IFR Cert. & IMC is encountered, If it is IFR Cert & I have down time due to IMC I Don't charge for that day except for expenses.

About the cloths thing there is usually laundry services at most motels.
It’s keeping me kind of busy just short runs usually but every now and then I get a fun long run. If it’s this busy during this time a year i wonder what its like during the spring & summer time.

Well I am taking a Cessna 210 on a 2000nm delivery in the morning its going to be fun going to pack my bag & take a nap see you all in a few days!:D This flight is going to make # 13 since september

You All Fly Safe!

Latest resources

Back