Departing VFR into IFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bart said:
To clarify, is it a good idea to depart VFR in Marginal VFR and then climb into IMC at night with no clearance?

I have a pilot wanting to debate me on this and want honest opinions from disinterested parties.

Slap the idiot pilot that is debating with you on this!!!!! Then break his kneecaps so he can't fly!!!!! My luck I will be shooting an ILS when this genius decides to come blasting into a cloud layer not talking to anyone!

Back in the freight days I was circling to land in hard rain off of an NDB approach and caught a glimpse of yellow come by the cockpit. Turns out it was some moron out in an Agcat scudrunning in 400 ft overcast not talking to anyone! If I could have got to that guy I would have strangled him. Unfortunatly he was not stopping at the airport, just blasting through its approach corridor. Oh well, the way he was flying, he's probably dead by now anyhow.

That would be right up there with sharing a needle with a junkie from the HIV clinic.

bart said:
To clarify, is it a good idea to depart VFR in Marginal VFR and then climb into IMC at night with no clearance?

I have a pilot wanting to debate me on this and want honest opinions from disinterested parties.

I think I flew with this guy. Captain DuMass, isn't that his name?

Seriously, I flew with a dude who had this as his own SOP. Former freight dog; couldn't stand the thought of "wasting" a few precious moments of block time just to get a clearance. I guess we forgot to teach him in ground school that pax are more valuable than boxes, a pilot and a beat-up old piston freighter combined.

I have a better idea than debating the fool. (Else you also look the fool.) Do as I and several other co-pilots did: Complain to the CP about him. Lives are on the line...possible yours. I almost never advocate going to management, but this kind of BS has no place in aviation.

C

Originally Posted by bart
===

Kidding me right?

Assuming part 91 ops, departing into controlled airspace (E,D,C,B) absolutly not. Illegal and stupid. Departing into class G (yes it does exist, especially out west) it is legal, and no clearance is required. Just make sure you are in and remain in class G. Certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to attempt to contact ATC and request radar advisories if available. However, at most places that have class G above 700 or 1200 feet it's pretty rural, and most likly radar will not be available.

I did it once when flying a 91 leg on my 135 check route. It was the most terrifying 3 minutes of my career. It seemed like an ok idea until approach refused to answer, I realized I wasn't as comfortable with the terrain as I thought, and the ceiling seemed a whole lot lower than when I landed 10 minutes earlier.

Anyone who's done it and says its no problem, doesn't have a whole lot of self-preservation instinct! I wouldn't go flying with them. Maybe with TCAS and EGPWS it wouldn't be so scary, I still wouldn't do it again.

If you are 135, and have no dispatcher, you are probably breaking the flight following requirement FAR. It's also REALLY STUPID. Ask the members of Reba MacIntire's band that did it out of Brown Field a few years ago in a Hawker. Oh, sorry, you can't. They are part of the geography now. It was a very clear night too...

Thanks for the responses, I printed them out, blacked out your screen names and placed them in my "buddy's" mailbox.

Thanks for the help...

bart said:
Thanks for the responses, I printed them out, blacked out your screen names and placed them in my "buddy's" mailbox.

Thanks for the help...

Please do let us know what he says...

C

Latest resources

Back