Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bart

Decader
Anyone think it is a good idea to depart VFR into IFR? At night?

Just curious...

nope.

One too many hillside holes from folks trying to get a word in on the radio while circling below a deck...(San Diego comes to mind)

I mean, Im by far the best pilot I know -- but I still have a hard time seeing dark hills at night under an overcast. Go figure..

in the age of good cell coverage etc..there just is no reason. Its not worth the 5 mins.

IMHO.

Are you saying; depart in VFR conditions, get clearance in the air while in VMC? If so, why not? As long as the ceiling is above the MSA or you know the area.

If you are saying depart in VFR, fly through some clouds while getting clearance--no. that gets you violated or killed.

i dont see a problem with it. As long as you are actually in VMC and can maintain it. A lot of times i find myself in this situation and do it simply because of IFR departure delays/ groundstops, etc. Get in the air, talk to a different center/approach and you can pick up the clearance a lot easier sometimes.

Welcome to the Northeast corridor!

Have a Plan

I think its okay with proper planning and knowledge of the area. Be aware of obtacle and airspace considerations. Grab the LO Chart, make yourself aware of of the area. Have a fix to fly to and hold or an airway to follow in case there is a delay making contact or obtaining a clearance. Depending on what you're flying, take it slow (200 kts is a good start), and no reason to climb like gang busters, you may be climbing higher than ATC can clear you to, forcing you to descend back down.

The problems I have encountered in the past include lost flight plans, busy controllers, and PF climbing/flying too fast and leaving controlling agency's airspace before they could issue the clearance.

Nightime generally not a good idea, unless intimately familiar (i.e. home airport)

Last edited:
To clarify, is it a good idea to depart VFR in Marginal VFR and then climb into IMC at night with no clearance?

I have a pilot wanting to debate me on this and want honest opinions from disinterested parties.

Stupid, illegal, and unsafe would be the first things that come to mind. How lucky is he feeling today?.

To clarify, is it a good idea to depart VFR in Marginal VFR and then climb into IMC at night with no clearance?

3 5 0

How could it possibly be a "good idea"?

Latest resources

Back