Denver flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DHPFLYN

I figure most of you fly in and out of Denver. I am just curious why you don't change your route when the turbulence over the mountains gets bad.

I was looking last night and there were over 25 reports of MDT turbulence and 13 reports of Severe and those were all 737 and 757 aircraft. Three of the reports stated they lost over 1500ft.

I am not second guessing anyone but do any of you ever route around the north or south of the range? I know the quickest way over after takeoff is head West and go over but just curious if North or South is better then West.

Thanks for the info

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
I figure most of you fly in and out of Denver. I am just curious why you don't change your route when the turbulence over the mountains gets bad.

I was looking last night and there were over 25 reports of MDT turbulence and 13 reports of Severe and those were all 737 and 757 aircraft. Three of the reports stated they lost over 1500ft.

I am not second guessing anyone but do any of you ever route around the north or south of the range? I know the quickest way over after takeoff is head West and go over but just curious if North or South is better then West.

Thanks for the info

Merry Christmas

I think the night in question had a Sigmet for severe turbulence and mountain wave from Cheyenne to Albuquerque and FL210 to FL370 or so. Not much you can do about that.

Latest resources

Back