• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

denver center is amazing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there are any ATC'ers on here you should pat yourself on the back.
Good times,
snowman

You mean, someone out there really appreciates us, I thought that was a myth! Thanks Snowman, we are there to make your life safe. Most pilots think we are just there to make life difficult for them.

I've missed a few chances to visit KC center. But I have sat & visited w/ our tower guys. Great group of people.

snowman said:
If there are any ATC'ers on here you should pat yourself on the back.
Good times,
snowman
Thanks, last time I tried that, I couldn't swing a golf club for a month. I got a T-shirt that says I spent my vacation at the physical therapy clinic.....:)

I did find that I have a perverse affection for electro-stimulation though, the high setting...;)

Last edited:
Ok controllers (mainly center guys), quick question? Do vectors or speed reduction usually produce more seperation (especially when you have to maintain something retarded like 20 miles in-trail)? Ive watched reactions of guys I've flown with and it seems 10 left or 20 right is way less painful than, "maintain 250 knots for spacing".

snowman said:
People get stepped on about every third transmission

Yep. I take the freq. change, hit the button, and wait for 'em to call me. MUCH easier that way. Haven't flow through a sector yet before I get the call asking if I'm there....very slick! And you're not interrupting your reading trying to check in on the freaking freq!!

Way too many others that just can't WAIT to check on. Let 'em have it! :)

ultrarunner said:
Yep. I take the freq. change, hit the button, and wait for 'em to call me.
You're kidding, right? If not, that's the stupidest thing I've ever read. I the freq is extremely busy, and you can't get a word in....then it's one thing if THEY call YOU first....but to do that on every sector is just incredibly stupid and wastes time for ATC and the rest of us on freq!

wrigley23 said:
Ok controllers (mainly center guys), quick question? Do vectors or speed reduction usually produce more seperation (especially when you have to maintain something retarded like 20 miles in-trail)? Ive watched reactions of guys I've flown with and it seems 10 left or 20 right is way less painful than, "maintain 250 knots for spacing".
Wrigly,

I'm not a Center type, but do work a sometimes busy approach control. Speaking about departures, vectors will get more separation faster than speed control will, but what I use depends on a number of factors. If you're departing out certain DP transitions, I know the receiving Center sector wants you ON the DP radial, not six miles either side and overtaking, so I'll use a combination to get 6-7 miles in trail. Going towards other sectors on a different DP, those sectors don't mind if we go direct first VOR, so we'll do more vectoring and less speed control. Most often, I'll try to use a speed 10 kts slower than the guy ahead just to insure you don't overtake the preceeding departure, and the Center will take the speed off when they get lateral or vertical later.

At my present facility, our LOA states that we will give the Center at least 5 miles in trail. At other facilities, like my previous one, the LOAs say 3 miles, increasing to 5. Since the tower is sometimes only giving me 2 miles initially, and they may give me four aircraft in a row out the same DP, the vectors can get rather large, (30-40 deg) to achieve 6-7 in trail before they all leave my airspace. No big deal if they're going out different gates.

On arrivals, I try not to use 190 or less until on downwind, and I also try not to assign greater than 170 to the FAF. The biggest problems on finals where I work are Cessnas in headwinds, and Boeing gliders. Some of the 757s are using target speeds 30 kts slower than the 737ngs, and if they get caught up high on the arrival, you practically have to shoot them down, or send them back out the departure gate to start the STAR all over again....

I swear, cuss 'em all you want, I LOVED working 727s on finals better than any other jet. They could do anything I asked. They could follow a C210, or lead a T-38. They could slow and descend like nothing else with a first class section.

FracCapt said:
You're kidding, right? If not, that's the stupidest thing I've ever read. I the freq is extremely busy, and you can't get a word in....then it's one thing if THEY call YOU first....but to do that on every sector is just incredibly stupid and wastes time for ATC and the rest of us on freq!
FracCapt, I think ultrarunner was being a bit humorous. However, there's been many times I sincerely appreciated the crew that stayed silent while I pulled my ass or someone else's out of the fire. The worst thing anyone can do is block three readbacks trying to "cut in" during a busy session. Not to mention, it puts me in an surly mood...;)

Latest resources

Back