Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snowman

Hey,
Just went for a tour of Denver Center. What an amazing place. All the people I ran met were very gracious and enthusiastic about their job. The technology is phenomenal. I have a new found respect for the controllers. Their competence and ability to think ahead and maneuver the aircraft is an awe to behold. If there are any ATC'ers on here you should pat yourself on the back.
Good times,
snowman

Denver Center

I visited Denver Center in 1985. I was on vacation and had rented a 172 for the afternoon. I flew to the Longmont airport, 2V2, and walked over to the Center. I got the complete nickel tour and was set up with a controller. As I recall, from nineteen years ago, he showed me everything, including the trackball, flight strips, etc. It was a great experience overall.

If you cannot make it to your local Center, try to visit your local RAPCON or TRACON. You'll enjoy the experience and will learn something.

I had some inside help. A friend of a friend who is a higher up kind of person there.

I don't think it would be easy to get in without a contact inside.... But, if you could find someone, it is worth every minute. It should be a discovery channel program or a documentary.. Everyone would enjoy an educational piece about this place and the amazing people that work there...
Snoman

Yeah, I got to sit with a controller for about 20 minutes... It was very educational... Try to annunciate when speaking on the radio.. I couldn't understand quite a bit of what was being said.... The controller had no problem with the garble.... People get stepped on about every third transmission... nutty stuff.

snowman

Minitour....

minitour said:
Awesome...how did you set it up? did you just call and ask for a tour or what?

-mini

....Minitour, you're asking a Snowman how to get a "minitour"?

Jeff Helgeson said:
....Minitour, you're asking a Snowman how to get a "minitour"?
LMAO
It took me like five minutes of thinking to get that.

Thats terriffic!

Thanks!

-mini

Glad you liked it....

minitour said:
LMAO
It took me like five minutes of thinking to get that.

Thats terriffic!

Thanks!

-mini

A lot of guys on this board have lost their sense of humor, rock on!

Jeff Helgeson said:
A lot of guys on this board have lost their sense of humor, rock on!
"If you can't laugh at yourself.....hell, everyone else sure will, so laugh with 'em"

-Grandpa

A few years ago (probably late 2000) I got to visit Oakland ARTCC... sadly oakland is gone and "bay approach" is now "norcal approach" and it's way far away. I sat with Oakland approach and watched him clear plane after plane for the ILS 27R. It was quite an experience :)

Also they showed us the difference between raw data and processed data... the guy turned off the filters and you could see the traffic on the Dumbarton bridge. Was very cool.

Latest resources

Back