• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's underfunded pension liability dropped 30% in 2013---article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Newsflash: Deltas pensions are underfunded by 70%.

No, that's not what they said. They said the underfunded part had 30% of it erased last year, a huge deal. A few more years like 2013 and a huge chunk of the debt and pension liability could be erased. The airline is also super profitable compared to peers. Maybe you should read the pertinent paragraph again:

"Delta is on pace to repurchase $500mn a year in stock, triple initial guidance, and capital returns could go higher when DAL achieves $7bn net debt target in 2015," the report continues, adding that the airline's "underfunded pension liability dropped 30% in 2013 to around $10bn."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
No, that's not what they said. They said the underfunded part had 30% of it erased last year, a huge deal. A few more years like 2013 and a huge chunk of the debt and pension liability could be erased. The airline is also super profitable compared to peers. Maybe you should read the pertinent paragraph again:

"Delta is on pace to repurchase $500mn a year in stock, triple initial guidance, and capital returns could go higher when DAL achieves $7bn net debt target in 2015," the report continues, adding that the airline's "underfunded pension liability dropped 30% in 2013 to around $10bn."

Bye Bye---General Lee

It is the 88 717's!

Stock buy backs mean nothing more than bonuses for the front office. Money better spent on recapitalizing your fleet. Keep kicking that can down the road, that's future managements problem after current management cash their checks and run while the get the gettins' good.

Stock buy backs mean nothing more than bonuses for the front office. Money better spent on recapitalizing your fleet. Keep kicking that can down the road, that's future managements problem after current management cash their checks and run while the get the gettins' good.

Uhhhh, maybe you missed the other parts, like bringing the debt down to $7B by 2015 (it was $17B in 09), and reducing the pension liability by 30% in one year. As far as recapitalizing the fleet, an order for 30 A321s and 10 A330s was recently made, plus those 787s are still supposedly coming around 2020. Currently 100 new 737-900ERs are coming at a few per month, along with 717s from AirTran/SWA. The stock has risen dramatically over 2013, and management was going to do well regardless. Anyone with stock has done well. I'm still holding 3600 shares (options) given at the merger. I know guys who sold immediately at around $5 a share. Oooooops.

Bye Bye----General Lee

IRONY - noun ˈaɪrəni ;

- A pilot gloating about the health of an airlines pension plan. (Notes - History can be such a fuker.)

Oxford English Dictionary.

IRONY - noun ˈaɪrəni ;

- A pilot gloating about the health of an airlines pension plan. (Notes - History can be such a fuker.)

Oxford English Dictionary.

You obviously went to Oxnard Community College. I was responding to Redflyer's ridiculous claims that the pension underfunding at this airline was insurmountable. This article seems to state otherwise.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You obviously went to Oxnard Community College. I was responding to Redflyer's ridiculous claims that the pension underfunding at this airline was insurmountable. This article seems to state otherwise.

Bye Bye---General Lee

My education was conducted at the gnarled hand of my Finnish au pair. She had a club foot and a lisp. In her spare time she knitted me horse hair shirts and cooked boutique meth. Oxnard community college rejected my application. It's been a special kind of shame that I've had to live with. Yet, I carry on.

It's difficult to tell whether you're obtuse, or you're just not very bright. My guess is that both apply.

My education was conducted at the gnarled hand of my Finnish au pair. She had a club foot and a lisp. In her spare time she knitted me horse hair shirts and cooked boutique meth. Oxnard community college rejected my application. It's been a special kind of shame that I've had to live with. Yet, I carry on.

It's difficult to tell whether you're obtuse, or you're just not very bright. My guess is that both apply.

Wow Professor Dumbledoor, you're a genius. But, you don't trust the media, or any article stating that DL did well enough last year to help pay down a large chunk of pension deficit. Nah, you don't believe it, you're still playing with your toy telescope searching for Uranus. Good luck with that Dicko!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back