• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta workforce reduction coming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another clown who knows nothing of the AMR/TWA merger.
It looks like he understands it a hell of a lot better than most TWA pilots.

"Toying" with the idea?

Tilton has been openly shopping UAL, (all or some) like a cheap whore for many months.

Thanks for the news flash.

Oh, by the way...I heard New York's governor might have been seeing a prostitute!!

I have friends at United who are worried about the same thing. Tilton is a ruthless hack of a CEO, worse than most if not all the others this time around. I think he could sell off some of the Pacific flying in pieces to several airlines (AA, DAL, CAL, etc) probably for as much or more than the entire company is worth as a whole. Buyers would pay a premium but would incur little if any debt if they only bought a few routes, even if they took on a few planes to go with them. For any one airline to buy United Pacific, it would be insanely expensive. But if 2 or 3 split up have of it, it would be very doable.

I think NWA is 35% of the seats to Asia for US airlines, and UAL is 45% or so. I could see UAL dropping down to match NWA, which would still leave them a healthy Pacific presence, and give them a lot of cash short term that Tilton could use for another worthless one time shareholder dividend.

For Delta, that would be a much better deal than merging with NWA. The ONLY thing NWA has that Delta would ever want or need is the Pacific flying, and it would be far cheaper and less painful to just buy some from United (assuming some was for sale, which many believe it is) than to take on all of NWA and inherit an inefficient dinosaur patchwork frankenstein fleet type, an absolutely worthless domestic route structure addition and start a USAirways employee gutter fight at the same time. Delta needs to increase their Pacific flying, but there are other, better, ways to do that besides merging with NWA.

General,

Nice theory, but those are Delta employees providing service on C and D (both at the gate and down on the ramp).

You could run that operation with the Blue Angel ground crew and it would still suck. Its not the fault of the Delta agents, or the Delta Connection pilots. That part of the operation is the result of previous management blunders (thanks Ron, Fred and Leo). They have a saying in the South: you can't make chicken salad out of chicken excrement.

That operation is a patchwork of 6 or 7 different airlines, hired and partially directed by another airline, all trying to work together and its just not possible. Look at the UEX operation at ORD, it ain't any better. When you are trying to force a jigsaw puzzle together out of pieces from other puzzles that just don't fit, trying to mesh over half a dozen different companies in a dynamic operating environment with 5 or 6 flights leaving out of the same gate with planes parking behind other planes, etc, well there is simply nothing you can do to make it run as well as an airlines own homogenous operations a couple terminals over.

You could put Herb Kelleher himself in charge of Delta Connection ops in Atlanta and it wouldn't be any better. That system is just set up to suck, period.

Latest resources

Back