• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta vs FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the guys currently based in the PIs, will they go to China? Any predictions on how this will this will shake out?
Thanks

I'd guess about half the SFS guys (40ish crews) will go to HKG. The other half will be mostly ANC, with a few to MEM.

That's just a guess.

Question

"Seriously, here's my situation. I live just outside of NYC, currently commute to ATL for AirTran. Been here just over 2 years."

How have you been here just over 2 years, when in Jan. '06 your post stated that you were "thinking about going to AirTran." Just wondering maybe the post dates are wrong or something. It's pretty easy to see the previous posts. I'm not trying to start anything I'm just wondering.

If you get hired at FDX you could always pass up the upgrade to the right seat and stay sitting sideways until you could accrue enough seniority to guarantee a base in the US. Depending on how long they keep the 72 that is.

Excellent posts.

In the past I understood that FedEx would not hire from Delta, but that has been changed. Can anyone confirm?

If you get hired at FDX you could always pass up the upgrade to the right seat and stay sitting sideways until you could accrue enough seniority to guarantee a base in the US. Depending on how long they keep the 72 that is.
That's true provided your job offer isn't contingent upon you accepting a foreign duty assignment as a condition of employment. We had a lot of people that were offered jobs provided they took ANC for a base. I actually don't think they will need a purple nugget program to fill either CDG or HKG. As crappy as the LOA is, we have enough people that look at a 2 year gig in Paris as an adventure; there will be enough single guys wanting to go from 727 s/o to wide body f/o pay that HKG will even be filled...IMHO.

A big question next year for some guys will be:

Do I leave Delta/start my class at SWA OR do I go to FedEx and suck up the Hong Kong or Paris life for 3-5 years?

Historically, job security at the freight companies has been outstanding. Some guys were willing to pass industry leading contracts at UAL or DAL to come here. Then 9/11 happened, and we by default became not only the most secure, but the most lucrative job in airline aviation.

So what will the next 5 years bring? Open Skies might mean more competition for SWA and DAL, but it might mean more business, too. What happens when these companies get their new contracts? While dollar for dollar UPS or FDX beat DAL today, what will be the case in 2012 or 2015?

How important are passes to you and your family? I have arguable one of the best jobs in the industry, and I haven't never sweated a paycheck not clearing. I have a great Q of life. However, I know one Delta buddy who windsurfs with his family in Aruba almost every month. I bumped into another family on the way to Dubrovnik (sp?) for a vacation/tour about a month back. Logically--I will tell you I can pick up a trip or two and pay for tickets for my entire family. Practically I will tell you--we haven't done that yet (my bad!). My point is there are some perks to a legacy job that are nice, and while perhaps the money isn't as high (now) or as secure I doubt any of us got into this job just for the money.

So--imagine you are a SWA guy living in domicile humping it out but having fun, or a Delta 767 ER guy flying back and forth to Europe. Kim Daniels called and said "we want you here next month...", but she also advises the classes are being filled for Hong Kong. That means you can move over for first year pay + 2700 a month, and your next year you'll make 120 + 2700 extra month. You get some coach tickets home every six months but your family cannot just walk to the airport and travel. You are riding a bus (literally) 2-4 hours to start a trip in the middle of the night at CAN. You'll do this for 3 years minimum, then bid back to MEM when you can hold it and there is a vacancy bid. Plan on 4-5 years by the time you get your training letter. When you get back to MEM, you are the junior guy, so you will sit A reserve, or middle of the night reserve, for 15 or 19 days a month to make your guarantee.

So--what is my point? For some guys, FDX and all it offers will still be the primo choice. Foreign assignments may be looked at as either a great adventure or a chance to make a solid paycheck for a few years. (We've had some regional guys go VFR direct to Subic for this reason). On the other hand, if you are along in your life and have kids approaching high school, have ties to your community, family concerns due to health or custody issues--well--the foreign assignment makes FDX likely a tertiary choice behind some other companies.

So--back to your question--which one? Prepare for both. When you get the FDX invite--go. If you get hired there--assess. Where will I live? How much will I make? Am I willing to accept the tradeoffs?

My prediction is my great company is going to have a lot of great guys and gals go "hmmm--thanks--but I'll pass for now...." when they look at what they will be expected to do to join the team here. At least for a little while, we are going to be hiring a different demographic.

Good luck whatever you do....
Great post as usual but I will disagree with this one point. Delta canxed their training classes after July '01 and things were already headed down hill before 9/11. They just needed an excuse to furlough and Osama provided it. Pax carriers have always been very cyclic and most people that choose that route are going to be furloughed at some point during their career. One day they are desperate for bodies and the next they're kicking them back out on the street. If Delta doesn't merge, expect them to have pilots on furlough again within the next 6-8 years. My 1 3/4 cents.

Go with the job that will allow you to not commute. All the money in the world won't make a company great if your commuting. Commuting turns a great job into a very crappy job. If you live in NYC right now and want to stay there, go to Delta.

Great post as usual but I will disagree with this one point. Delta canxed their training classes after July '01 and things were already headed down hill before 9/11. They just needed an excuse to furlough and Osama provided it. Pax carriers have always been very cyclic and most people that choose that route are going to be furloughed at some point during their career. One day they are desperate for bodies and the next they're kicking them back out on the street. If Delta doesn't merge, expect them to have pilots on furlough again within the next 6-8 years. My 1 3/4 cents.

9/11 was better than any catylist management could think of... the total industry change was going to happen regardless.... while management regrets 9/11, the leverage it gave was priceless...

A big question next year for some guys will be:Do I leave Delta/start my class at SWA OR do I go to FedEx and suck up the Hong Kong or Paris life for 3-5 years?...Good luck whatever you do....
As always, Albie's advice is right on the money.
Maybe check with your family to see what they think will be best? I can see the stability and the benefit aspect of Fedex, but is Delta really that much better than AAI? After all, you said that you've been at AAI for two years so that means you're about a year from the left seat, correct? How will that and the overall benefits at AAI compare to Delta's? My reasoning is that since it'll take you much longer to upgrade at Delta than at AAI maybe you wouldn’t really gain that much?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back