Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta & US Airways DUMP Quest for LGA gate swaps!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The point is that if you want to swap slots with someone else then you can....because you own the gates. Just because I want to swap my peanut butter sandwich for a jelly sandwich doesn't mean I have to put it up for sale for the whole world to bid on it. I can do what I want with it. Southwest has absolutely no case here. You bid when there are slots available and someone wants to sell...that simple.
The slots will be available after it goes to court if you still want to make the swap.

the case is that Delta and US Airways chose their own competition in giving those slots to the "airlines of their choice". Slots they clearly didn't want anymore.
Or the case is sthat southwest cried that it didn't get any slots that were already owned by other airlines. Where was southwest when DL and US were flying out of these major NE airports? They were chasing AMA and HRL.

SWA called them on it and the DOT evidently agreed. SWA didn't say the slots should go to SWA...just that all airlines should have the opportunity to compete for those slots through a bidding system.
You mean southwest cried and complained that it wasn't fair, even though 10 years ago claimed they wanted no part of this part of the country.

Obviously Delta/US airways didn't want them...so, let there be a bid for them.
Or................southwest could piss up a rope and DL and US can just keep those slots to themselves.

Even the General should be in favor of this...it would generate more $$$ for Delta. And, after the competitive thrashing mainline Delta took before they up and quit trying in Lubbock and at the DFW airport, this $$$ from a LGA slot bid should be all good for the Mother Delta....right?
Actually keeping southwest out of LGA is a good thing, they've already brought down the environment in enough places they fly to.:D

The slots will be available after it goes to court if you still want to make the swap.
Don't bet your pft job on that.........

Last edited:
the case is that Delta and US Airways chose their own competition in giving those slots to the "airlines of their choice". Slots they clearly didn't want anymore.

SWA called them on it and the DOT evidently agreed. SWA didn't say the slots should go to SWA...just that all airlines should have the opportunity to compete for those slots through a bidding system.

Even the General should be in favor of this...it would generate more $$$ for Delta. And, after the competitive thrashing mainline Delta took before they up and quit trying in Lubbock and at the DFW airport, this $$$ from a LGA slot bid should be all good for the Mother Delta....right?

No, I don't agree. When you own something, you should be able to sell it to whomever you want. The DOT is run by Ray "the hood" Lahood, from Chicago. (don't you have a MDW base?) We all can connect the dots probably. If DL has too many slots for some reason, then they should be able to sell them to Westjet, or Airtran, or whoever. DL actually followed the rules, but The Hood still didn't like the result. Now DL and USAir will try to sue to see if someone with less personal interest in the deal can reason through this mess. And, in the end, DL still doesn't have to sell the slots at all if they don't want to.

As far as money being made at Delta, I think the Q2 results will be good. We shall see....

Bye Bye--General Lee

No, I don't agree. When you own something, you should be able to sell it to whomever you want. The DOT is run by Ray "the hood" Lahood, from Chicago. (don't you have a MDW base?) We all can connect the dots probably. If DL has too many slots for some reason, then they should be able to sell them to Westjet, or Airtran, or whoever. DL actually followed the rules, but The Hood still didn't like the result. Now DL and USAir will try to sue to see if someone with less personal interest in the deal can reason through this mess. And, in the end, DL still doesn't have to sell the slots at all if they don't want to.

As far as money being made at Delta, I think the Q2 results will be good. We shall see....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Of course you don't agree. That would mean +1'ing a WN guy.

Gup

Wait! Wait! I wanna go back to where St Nic is telling us that Mike Cleary saved the day! BWAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!! Say it again, say it again! BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAA!!! That thar is some funny shiznit...

The issue started when they stated that the airlines had to sell slots at a auction.

This deal is done. Lets wait for the next one.

USAPA came out strongly against this swap and low and behold, it didn't go through. Did USAPA single handedly stop it? Maybe not. But they had a strong influence on Washington to tank the deal and that is what an in house union is about- no confused politics like the DALPAs driving the agenda. You can;t argue with success.

No, I don't agree. When you own something, you should be able to sell it to whomever you want.

True....when it is a 767 or a dc-9-10 or a jetway ...

BUT...when a company has to go to the DOT to get approval for a so-called slot swap, and get that approval before it all happens, then no, those slots are not wholly owned by that company...they seem to be under DOT control...

That is why this entire deal was put out for public comment by the DOT before it was approved ( or now, disapproved ). SWA being part of that public, did indeed, make a comment about it.

Like it or not, the DOT seems to have agreed with SWA.

I would like to ask, as this discussion goes forward, that if you decide to comment on this, let us know if you did or did not let the DOT know your feelings on this deal during the public comment period.

I, for the record, took the time to write a letter to the DOT on this matter.

So SWA wanted to change the way everyone does everything? First your old pilots lead the way for Age 65 change, and now the company wants to change how airlines get slots? Wow, kinda cocky!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Gee ,....ya' think???

PHXFLYR

Latest resources

Back