Delta Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They certainly do and since you have no vote, I won't bother with you anymore-

The numbers are this: 255 fuel efficient, large RJs (70 & 76 seaters) currently allowed, vs 325 after this TA.
The FIRST carrier to allow outsourced -900's while NOT under duress of bk. = legal precedent.
The only big 3 network carrier to allow it at all- at a time when the other two are fighting to keep scope at 70 seats and lower.
The increase in -900's is almost equal ( 70 vs 76) to usair's entire fleet of -900's & 175's.

So dalpa, do what you think is best. But don't EVER tell another soul that if you had a do-over, you'd have never let a jet be outsourced in the first place. Pass this, and that's a flat out lie. revisionist history.

Pass this and you're exactly what we thought you were. Sellouts. All mgmt has to do is muddy the waters a bit, throw some money at you and you'll keep on boiling the scope frog.

They certainly do and since you have no vote, I won't bother with you anymore-

The numbers are this: 255 fuel efficient, large RJs (70 & 76 seaters) currently allowed, vs 325 after this TA.
The FIRST carrier to allow outsourced -900's while NOT under duress of bk. = legal precedent.
The only big 3 network carrier to allow it at all- at a time when the other two are fighting to keep scope at 70 seats and lower.
The increase in -900's is almost equal ( 70 vs 76) to usair's entire fleet of -900's & 175's.

So dalpa, do what you think is best. But don't EVER tell another soul that if you had a do-over, you'd have never let a jet be outsourced in the first place. Pass this, and that's a flat out lie. revisionist history.

Pass this and you're exactly what we thought you were. Sellouts. All mgmt has to do is muddy the waters a bit, throw some money at you and you'll keep on boiling the scope frog.

Yes voters don't care. They really don't. They are selling out, but they will never admit it to you in that way. The brilliant TA lets them take credit for the 50 seater's demise after all! They are scope champions and the horse is headed back into the barn!! (where is that barf icon?) All I can say is, "Buy Delta stock". We have some smart guys running the show.

Wave, it's unrealistic that we could negotiate to have mainline flying new 900s! It's just not something an arbitrator would side with us on, and management is never going to accept that competitive disadvantage otherwise.

However, this was our chance to plant our feet at 255. We have the leverage to force management to find a more mainline oriented solution to the 50 seat economic problem than 88 717s and 70 more 900s, (with block hour ratios with gigantic loophole clauses). It's too bad we couldn't!! Had we rose the tide, no doubt all other ships would've benefitted. But we are hardly the first group to fail.

It is a sellout, but how bad is the sellout when compared to people who paid for their own type rating for a job, flew at a carrier with significantly inferior pay, benefits and retirement, or flew at a regional airline, directly undercutting their mainline? Are C2012 TA yes voters the first, or even worst sellouts ever? Hardly.

We all want other people to make the sacrifices that better the profession as a whole. In reality, we'd ALL probably always do what benefitted ourselves the most in any situation when it comes to flying jobs. (i.e. SELLING OUT). I never had to fly at a regional, but I probably would've if I had had to. I would've flown at SWA back when they were killing legacies with their lack of pensions and type rating requirement if it was my only available option.

I voted no on this TA, not because I think I'm making a stand for the pilot profession as a whole. (Although it's tempting to act like that, and it is a secondary benefit). I voted no because I believe 70 more 900s at DCI could have a greater negative impact on my bank account and lifestyle in the long run than living under the current contract might.

These guys see it differently, and don't see more 900s at DCI being all that great of a threat to them because of where they sit.

We can win the argument with them when we can prove to them they will be worse off under this TA.

Unfortunately, when that happens, it will be too late!!!

Anyway, Cheers!

Last edited:
I voted no on this TA, not because I think I'm making a stand for the pilot profession as a whole. (Although it's tempting to act like that, and it is a secondary benefit). I voted no because I believe 70 more 900s at DCI could have a greater negative impact on my bank account and lifestyle in the long run than living under the current contract might.

These guys see it differently, and don't see more 900s at DCI being all that great of a threat to them because of where they sit.

Well said, And here's the best argument for that- regionals are whipsawed, one group gets too much and they are rolled back while the next is built up- (ie:Comair after the strike--> skywest and republic built up)
So no regional will get too great a contract-

Now look at FO pay across the industry- its designed to attract applicants away from capt seats at regionals- please compare the two and tell me that regional pay doesn't drag down all of us. Not to mention, rj's are expensive and pretty bad customer experience. How many domestic customers have been lost to swa, jetblue, VA, air tran, while mgmt has been on this RJ kick?

Please do it for your own self interest. 70 more -900's is an enormous step in the wrong direction for outsourcing.

Now look at FO pay across the industry- its designed to attract applicants away from capt seats at regionals- please compare the two and tell me that regional pay doesn't drag down all of us. Not to mention, rj's are expensive and pretty bad customer experience. How many domestic customers have been lost to swa, jetblue, VA, air tran, while mgmt has been on this RJ kick?

Wave,
You can make good points without going to the extreme. You are right that by having a regional industry, vice RJ's on the mainline ticket, you get a one time "reset" on longevity in your employee costs which is not to be underestimated. Now if mgmt could just figure out how to get baggage handlers and MX to want to "go to mainline" with the pilots and FA's, they'd have it made.

Latest resources

Back