• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to trim future domestic, int'l capacity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
here is some math for you. You said a few months ago that with the previously planned reduction in DC9s by the end of the year that the NWA side would have a "surplus" of 300-400 pilots. Since that time we have had close to 400 people leave, between PERPS, Medical, and just regular retirements, so how much is the "surplus" now? :pimp:

That doesnt even consider the fact that the aircraft parkings may not happen and the fact that EVERY original NWA aircraft has to, in the near term, be staffed with MORE pilots.

Ps. You're not harassing me at all. So i hope you aren't being paid to do so or you may get fired!! ;) I am just trying to keep you honest in your assumptions. :beer:

But you see, you have to go into this merger with "what you had", not what you will have. Just like your current pay rates are NOT what you now negotiate with, rather pre DCC pay rates. Everything can change AFTER a merger, but that is not what we brought to the table. Would you have had retirements had you been a stand alone? Probably not, since people were afraid of DL's retirement medical premiums, and they bailed. Had they not bailed, were you going to have furloughs? That memo said likely, and I know it was maybe becuase higher fuel, but I don't see any of those DC9s coming out of the desert (it was a diversion), and the reason you were overstaffed was because you had extra people waiting for the 787s. That is why you had a large displacement bid, that was later pulled.

You can't negotiate what you have NOW, vs what you BROUGHT to the table. The A330 rates were brought up to the 764 rates, and you agreed to NOT use them in the arbitration. Should we just go back on all agreements? (Didn't your lawyer try to bring something up and our guy objected since it was agreed upon prior not to bring it up, and Bloch agreed? I think that did happen)

Bye Bye--General Lee

The growth is the PIT, and RDU flying, and all of the Africa flying. Now we are not getting new jets, so the lift will have to come from somewhere. It will probably come from a reduction to some North Atlantic cities that are under performing. Wait for that announcement.

Because of the type of flying that Africa will entail, you will see longer trips, with different utilization that the flying that these aircraft are currently doing.

Yeah-, BABY!

AFRICA- That is where the money is! Just you wait and see-and untapped Gold Mine! (Could there possibly be a reason it remains untapped?)

-Here's a proposition, CL65. You could have every cent of profit from all of Africa, and I would get a delicious cup of onion soup instead...... Who do you think would come out ahead?

-Just back up the money wagon!

Yeah-, BABY!

AFRICA- That is where the money is! Just you wait and see-and untapped Gold Mine! (Could there possibly be a reason it remains untapped?)

-Here's a proposition, CL65. You could have every cent of profit from all of Africa, and I would get a delicious cup of onion soup instead...... Who do you think would come out ahead?

-Just back up the money wagon!

Those RJs sure are profitable. So much so, Delta is getting rid of 100 this year. Do you like onion soup? Get used to it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

But you see, you have to go into this merger with "what you had", not what you will have.
Bye Bye--General Lee

So you had 8 777s? Or was it 10 777s?

How does this compare with NWA's 31 747's and 32 A-330s?

The rest of DAL jets "NOT SO PREMIUM" 767's and smaller.;)

Schwanker

For years I heard rj guys make fun of prop guys. Then its mainline thinking they are so much better than scumbag rj pilots. Now its super premium 747 pilots making fun of the little baby 767's. What a joke!! My dad is bigger than your dad. My johnson is longer than yours blah blah blah. Were are own worst enemies. Oops, I forgot I was freight trash too. At least I love my job and every plane I've ever flown. The money's not like it was but at least I'm not doing drywall again. My glass is half full and looking forward to a prosperous future with our Northwest brothers..and a few sisters.

Those RJs sure are profitable. So much so, Delta is getting rid of 100 this year. Do you like onion soup? Get used to it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

These stupid decisions "big daddy D" is making will have implcations for you one day, Gen.... Even as big as you ego has become.

Dumping all DALs eggs into the Europe and Africa basket will destroy the company-everyone thought PanAm was too big to fail-how are they looking these days?. DAL almost made this same mistake in the early 90s, but they were smart enough to pull back. This time they have extended far too much and far too heavily into these areas.

International ops are very expensive-especially to craphole places like Africa-which no one has ever made money flying to (with the possible exception of S. Africa.) Europe's economy is tanking worse than ours-Africa has not got enough money to buy a '78 Pontiac in all its countries combined (excluding S. Africa.) Looks extremely stupid to anyone who has seen DAL make this mistake before.

-Good luck Gen, with this kind of complete moron mgmt. you will need it. Welcome to the new NWA-the old DAL is gone.

crj567,

Just curious who you work for, how long? Are you new to the industry, a rj lifer wishing ill will on mother d or just trying to ruffle pvt. lees feathers?? I agree with some of your points though. Some of the posters remind me of Leo Decrapio on Titanic when he is on the bow yelling "I am the king of the world" or some crap like that, when it comes to dal. As much as I would like that, the realistic(cynical,pessemistic, glass almost empty side) gets the best of me..

These stupid decisions "big daddy D" is making will have implcations for you one day, Gen.... Even as big as you ego has become.

Dumping all DALs eggs into the Europe and Africa basket will destroy the company-everyone thought PanAm was too big to fail-how are they looking these days?. DAL almost made this same mistake in the early 90s, but they were smart enough to pull back. This time they have extended far too much and far too heavily into these areas.

International ops are very expensive-especially to craphole places like Africa-which no one has ever made money flying to (with the possible exception of S. Africa.) Europe's economy is tanking worse than ours-Africa has not got enough money to buy a '78 Pontiac in all its countries combined (excluding S. Africa.) Looks extremely stupid to anyone who has seen DAL make this mistake before.

-Good luck Gen, with this kind of complete moron mgmt. you will need it. Welcome to the new NWA-the old DAL is gone.

So you had 8 777s? Or was it 10 777s?

How does this compare with NWA's 31 747's and 32 A-330s?

The rest of DAL jets "NOT SO PREMIUM" 767's and smaller.;)

Schwanker

Because NWA's "super premium" widebody's came with "not so super premium" pay!;)

Delta had a bunch of new hires in 2007. ~10% 1st year pay & probationary pilots (zero dues) threw ALPA's numbers off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back