Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to Sydney, Australia?? I think so...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
QANTAS (again QANTAS) is the undisputed leader of the OZ-US flying. They will clean Delta's clock 365 days per year on LA-SYD with 400's and eventually A380's.

You underestimate Delta's North American feed and the Qantas lack of it...

You underestimate Delta's North American feed and the Qantas lack of it...

At LAX, the feed is called American Airlines. Ever notice which terminal those Kangaroo Tailed Whales leave from. Delta just so happens to be quite smaller then AA at LAX. Look for the Oz folks to have the A380 out of LA by next summer. Lots of capacity brings low fares and on a long haul that's not good for that elusive profitability factor.

All that aside if I were a DAL guy it would be my #1 bid. Beach, BBQ, and VB lager makes for a high quality layover in my book....

Last edited:
All that aside if I were a DAL guy it would be my #1 bid. Beach, BBQ, and VB lager makes for a high quality layover in my book....

Ah, I love Victoria Bitter. Ever seen it in the states? I keep asking and no one has it.

QANTAS (again QANTAS) is the undisputed leader of the OZ-US flying. They will clean Delta's clock 365 days per year on LA-SYD with 400's and eventually A380's.

You think Qantas is the undisputed leader for OZ-US flying? I bet you are correct, and until recently they, along with UAL had a monopoly on nonstop flights. That was UNTIL openskies hit, and now they both will feel the pressure. An internal review has shown that we feed about 250-300 pax a day to other airlines to go to Australia, daily. (DL, NWA, and AK airlines) Can we fill up 1 772LR a day with those numbers? Probably. How about if we actually advertise for it? I bet we could...... Qantas may have to cut one of their flights now.....or downsize that A380 and send it somewhere else...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
What date are you looking at??

Also FWIW we could do ATL-SYD non stop using 180 min ETOPS. It is a crew rest issue though!

Actually, its all sorts of issues.

1. FLIGHT Time ATLSYD is just under 19 hours.

2. We theoretically could make it nonstop, however, to do that we can only carry less than 150 pax and less than 5K of freight, and even then the fuel is topped out westbound. That is with full fuel, and launching off of ATL 9L - but with that we wouldnt need a runway extension to do it.

Furthermore, we would also need to do it as a redispatch only, or SYD with only island reserves.

In order to carry anything approaching a decent payload - we would need to be able to load about 30K of additional fuel. When I ran some test plans, with anything approaching a respectable payload, I was also over the current structural MTOW, and I wasnt even worrying about what I could lift off of 9L. According to the book, with a F15 TO power takeoff off of 9L, we can do that up to just shy of 800.0K - I think the climb limit was the limiting factor.

Keep in mind these are my unscientific observations from building test plans in the flight planning system to see what could theoretically work on any given day - your mileage may vary.

We CAN do it under ETOPS180 however. KLAX-PHNL-NSTU-NFFN-NZAA/YBBN/YSSY and you're within the 180 minute circles.

Just a quick historical note. NWA began serving Sydney in 1991. Here is a NY Times article from 1993 reflecting on the Japanese:

March 12, 1993
COMPANY NEWS; JAPAN MAY MOVE AGAINST NORTHWEST AIRLINES

Japan may take action against Northwest Airlines if the United States carrier continues to violate rules set by Tokyo for an extension of its New York-Osaka route to Sydney, Australia, a Transport Ministry official said yesterday.
In October 1991 Japan and Australia allowed Northwest Airlines to extend its New York-Osaka route to Sydney, provided that new passengers and cargo boarding in Osaka accounted for less than 50 percent of the total load. But between December 1992 and February 1993, passengers and cargo flying the second leg accounted for more than 70 percent of the total, the official said. Japan's sanctions may include banning Northwest from flying the Osaka-Sydney route. A spokeswoman at the Tokyo branch of Northwest Airlines declined to comment.

RDU->CDG put aside for now...

Just a side note, news from our internal website saying they're re-evaluating the RDU->CDG route, and it's been put on hold for now.

Anybody has more info on that?

Latest resources

Back