Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to retire 7600 pilots in next 15 years, SWA 2250??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nah, I just don't see anyone flying Aeroflot from LAX to LAS. And, our contract forbids that type of hiring. I just don't think we'd allow that, even for a 100% raise. Nope. Instead, I see a large chunk of the SWA pilots jumping ship thanks to Delta's rates being the same or better, and a chance to get out of intra-Texas flying. It's gonna be HUUGE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

+1 here.

OYS

This thread has to be a joke. There are thousands and thousands of highly qualified regional Captains who would love a shot at Delta. Just from regionals alone, there is no shortage of pilots. I'm not even counting the military pipeline, which I'm sure will provide Delta with a continuing stream of pilots. And, considering Delta's absolute minimums are 1200 hrs and 1000 turbine, that means as worse case scenario, they will just hire regional FOs. If things get really really bad, Delta can resort to non-female regional FOs. But of course, that scenario is bottom barrel. ;)

If you read his profile, I think it says he was at United before Delta. He really isn't "new" then, is he? Read before you type.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well, Excuse me KIT DARBY, I stand corrected....I do remember him saying he was furloughed from UAL longer than he was there!

Maybe if the moderators would put the AIR Tran and SW threads on the LCC section, We wouldn't have to worry about you "Bid Bad Major Pilots" putting in your 2 cents, No "Big Bad Major Pilot" would stoop so low as to look on the LCC/Nationals section. Thanks for your input again, all 15K post worth.

KBB

Spot on!

As far as I am concerned ualdriver hit the nail on the head in post #18.

They see their supply of cheap, qualified labor(pilots) dwindling fast, just as the a/c manufacturers predict that airtravel will continue to grow in popularity. We need to recognize this and capitalize on it, higher pay and better scheduling practices. That in turn will help alleviate, to some extent, the looming shortage as more young people will be attracted to flying.

dane

Thanks for that. At least someone on here "understands" the truth besides me. Keep up the good work. And yes, I have been flying a lot of Asia lately, which keeps me out of the loop sometimes. On the beach in Saipan, I just don't bother to check the boards as much. What a pity...

Bye Bye---General Lee[/

I see a relationship brewing......

I haven't a clue if a "pilot shortage" will materialize or not. I suspect not, but who knows.

But only airline management could screw up the good deal they have had for the past 4 decades. They have had a pilot oversupply so bad that they actually had guys not only paying for their entire education and flight training, but then paying for interviews and their first regional airline job (ala Comair, ASA, etc.).

Now, they're starting to sweat even getting enough mainline pilots to fill their rosters in future years. What a bunch of morons. They steal pensions, come to pilots for pay cuts anytime a Middle East dictator sneezes, treat their pilots like crap, threaten to outsource the only pilot jobs with having, drag out contract negotiations for years, drag their pilots into court in federal lawsuits, pay them poverty level wages for years in the beginning of their careers, treat them like crap with sick leave monitoring and "visits" to the chief pilot's office when the exercise their Captain's authority, then $*%#* wonder where their future pilots are going to come from?

And now they want to do an "outreach" to middle school and high school students? During the outreach, are they going to mention the above? If I find out they are going to "outreach" to any middle school or high school in my area, I am going to volunteer to "outreach" on that same day.

Hey airline management! Read paragraph three, do the exact opposite of everything listed in there, and you will have ALL the pilots you need for a very long time. Until then, you will reap what you have sown for the past 40 years, particularly the last 10 years.

Great post! I'll volunteer to do "outreach" as well...

This thread has to be a joke. There are thousands and thousands of highly qualified regional Captains who would love a shot at Delta. Just from regionals alone, there is no shortage of pilots. I'm not even counting the military pipeline, which I'm sure will provide Delta with a continuing stream of pilots.
The legacies are going to suck up the captains from the regionals like a sump pump on a dark and stormy night. That's where the problem is going to be--the regionals will be scrambling for min qual pilots to fill those seats. It will affect how well they can "serve" the legacy carrier which has outsourced their flying to this regional. This will impact the legacy carrier.

Posted by ualdriver:

I haven't a clue if a "pilot shortage" will materialize or not. I suspect not, but who knows.

But only airline management could screw up the good deal they have had for the past 4 decades. They have had a pilot oversupply so bad that they actually had guys not only paying for their entire education and flight training, but then paying for interviews and their first regional airline job (ala Comair, ASA, etc.).

Now, they're starting to sweat even getting enough mainline pilots to fill their rosters in future years. What a bunch of morons. They steal pensions, come to pilots for pay cuts anytime a Middle East dictator sneezes, treat their pilots like crap, threaten to outsource the only pilot jobs with having, drag out contract negotiations for years, drag their pilots into court in federal lawsuits, pay them poverty level wages for years in the beginning of their careers, treat them like crap with sick leave monitoring and "visits" to the chief pilot's office when the exercise their Captain's authority, then $*%#* wonder where their future pilots are going to come from?

And now they want to do an "outreach" to middle school and high school students? During the outreach, are they going to mention the above? If I find out they are going to "outreach" to any middle school or high school in my area, I am going to volunteer to "outreach" on that same day.

Hey airline management! Read paragraph three, do the exact opposite of everything listed in there, and you will have ALL the pilots you need for a very long time. Until then, you will reap what you have sown for the past 40 years, particularly the last 10 years.

Add my name to the outreach program. He could not have said it better!

On the occasion that people ask me about wanting to become an airline pilot, I tell them to Google "The Truth About the Profession." I think that covers a lot of stuff pretty well and talks alot about the stuff most people are curious about, particularly the bad things.

Latest resources

Back