Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to Replace RJ's with mainline jets for new growth.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely correct, why do you think no one else is flying in these markets. There is no traffic to support this type of flying and the economy overseas is collapsing. The oil market in Africa and political unrest makes these destinations uneeded.

There's traffic there. It's just that up until recently it's had to go through, Paris, London, or Frankfurt to get there.

Once the SLI is done there will undoubtedly be another memo which will begin with, " Do to the state of the economy and the global recession...." Bye bye to a whole bunch of domestic narrow body aircraft, pullback of international growth and furloughs. And you guys will act surprised.

You can only hope that happens. I saw that after 9-11. It was good for my short term career goals, but long term it huts.

Not that it will not happen, but our management appears to see the flaw in the way the DCI world took over DAL back then, and to date, do not want to repeat it.

Absolutely correct, why do you think no one else is flying in these markets. There is no traffic to support this type of flying and the economy overseas is collapsing. The oil market in Africa and political unrest makes these destinations uneeded.

Africa is the largest emerging market in the world. They are working through their political instability problems and as they gain in infastructure, there will be a lot of money transfered to that part of the world. There will be a lot of people moving in and out and I am happy to see Delta as a first mover in this market.

Previously, anyone traveling to/from Africa had to go through Europe. There is a fair amount of traffic now and it should only increase.

You can only hope that happens. I saw that after 9-11. It was good for my short term career goals, but long term it huts.

Not that it will not happen, but our management appears to see the flaw in the way the DCI world took over DAL back then, and to date, do not want to repeat it.

Bingo, the mgmt teams are tired of guaranteeing profits to feeders. Especially the ones that dont do a good job. There is about to be a big time pull down of the smaller regional jets. With fuel down we can do that flying in the paid for DC9s and keep the money in house. We'll see

I agree, but those 50 seat jets are now a lot less expensive to operate. That said the pull down will happen, it may just be drawn out a little longer than planned.

I can tell you this DAL wants to get in to the domestic as well as the international under wing cargo business big time. We cannot do that on RJ's. They have stated this. It is not an empirical guess. They need bins that have room to spare. It goes hand in hand with charging for bags. It gives them added revenue if one is carried, but really forces the average Joe to carry less, and thus have more room for cargo.
We are doing a bang up business on this end and it Will only increase.

We all know that recessions are temporary, oil will rise again, etc. What DAL is doing is position themselves in markets base on long term analysis. Yes, there is a risk, but they know that. The advantages are that once the economy thaws out, we are in position. What this merger does is gives us a few billion dollars a year that we did not have to play the world market a little bit. If you look at how and what Delta has and is doing, you should be very impressed.

It is great to actually be working for an airline that wants to actually be a WORLD CLASS airline.

That it is. Lets just hope that we choose the right time to do so. We are making a few gambles on what we see for the economic future.

Latest resources

Back