Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Delta still planning to buy 200 planes by year-end Aug 10, 2011 10:40am EDT

MEXICO CITY Aug 10 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc is still planning on buying 200 planes by the end of the year and the final decision will be made in the third or fourth quarter, Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson said on Wednesday.

"We haven't changed our plans," Anderson said at a news conference in Mexico City announcing a deal with Mexican airline Aeromexico. [ID:nN1E7790EH] (Reporting by Cyntia Barrera Diaz and editing by Gerald E. McCormick

Delta to invest $65 million in Aeromexico
Atlanta Business Chronicle

Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 10:17am EDT - Last Modified: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 11:05am EDT
Delta Air Lines Inc. has formed a commercial alliance with Grupo Aeromexico that includes a $65 million investment in the Mexican carrier has formed a commercial alliance with Grupo Aeromexico that includes a $65 million investment in the Mexican carrier and a seat on its board.

Atlanta-based Delta (NYSE: DAL) and Aeromexico were already partners in the SkyTeam Alliance. The two now will link Delta's network with Mexico's largest passenger network.
The deal includes codesharing for all Delta and Aeromexico flights between the United States and Mexico, flights within the carriers’ domestic networks and other international destinations, Delta said.
Delta will invest $65 million in exchange for ordinary shares in Grupo Aeromexico, made up of treasury stock set aside as part of Aeromexico's primary public offering on April 14. Delta also will gain a seat on the Aeromexico board of directors. The transaction is subject to approval from certain Mexican regulators.
In a separate agreement, Delta and Aeromexico will expand a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul agreement. This includes a new facility opening in the third quarter of 2013.
Aeromexico has a fleet of Boeing 777, 767, 737 and the latest models of Embraer 145 and 190. It operates more than 550 daily flights to different cities in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Central and South America, Europe and Asia

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Delta will invest $65 million in exchange for ordinary shares in Grupo Aeromexico, made up of treasury stock set aside as part of Aeromexico's primary public offering on April 14. Delta also will gain a seat on the Aeromexico board of directors.

Does that include sending the Aerom[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]é[/FONT]xico pilots to Alcoholics Anonymous? Seriously, from what I have experienced down there, I would think twice before boarding an early morning flight on them...

I am sure SWA would be interested in dumping AirTrans 717's to keep their common fleet tradition going... who knows...

I agree, if I bought another airline to enlarge my network the first thing I would do would be to get rid of the majority of their airplanes quickly so I couldn't take advantage of all the potential new city-pairs in the new network.....that would make perfect business sense because it would neutralize all the advantages of the merger :)

I agree, if I bought another airline to enlarge my network the first thing I would do would be to get rid of the majority of their airplanes quickly so I couldn't take advantage of all the potential new city-pairs in the new network.....that would make perfect business sense because it would neutralize all the advantages of the merger :)

Not if your real objective was to eliminate a competitor

Caution. Post sarcasm on FI at your own risk!!

Latest resources

Back