• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to buy 50 Airbus Widebody jets.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Parking the 747's and a lot of 767-300's makes this a net zero gain in wide-body aircraft correct?

Parking the 747's and a lot of 767-300's makes this a net zero gain in wide-body aircraft correct?

Correct. The widebody orders will be smaller and more frequent going forward.

As far as buying Boeing goes, they are a big backer of the EXIM bank, and have no qualms selling 100's of widebody jets to subsidized foreign competitors with tax-payer-funded loans.

At this point it's just business.

60 A330/350 aircraft being delivered from 2015-2022. The 18 787-9's are on the books for 2020-2022. Another 50 or so WB order within 2 years. A350's have approx. 100 more seats than the 767ER. A good start on orders.

I think it's a great move. Increase in ASM via larger aircraft on trans-Atlantic and more frequency across the Pacific via Seattle! Airbus order a good one. Wish we would think about Airbus for narrow-body addition but we are having a tough time even finding used 319's. Looking forward to seeing our A350's show up but it looks like we will operate at least 23 747's for another 5 years before even thinking about replacement.

The press release says they will replace "some" of the 767-300s. Obviously, all of the 300s will go away eventually, but they said "some" for a reason. Much like the 737-900s which are supposed to replace the 757s, the "some" is Delta's way of stealthily adding capacity under the wall st radar. The rate of retirement of the older aircraft is the big variable that will change continuously based on the economy. The 757s are going away at a much slower rate than predicted, and I expect the same will happen with the 767s as long as the economy supports it.

They will slowly park 744s until 2017, but the 767-300ERs will stay around longer than originally planned due to the drop in oil. Eventually you are correct, the ERs will be replaced, but I believe there is still an unresolved 787-800 order still out there that was bumped to 2020.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The 757s are going away at a much slower rate than predicted, and I expect the same will happen with the 767s as long as the economy supports it.
I don't know DAL's reasoning for the slow replacement of the 76's but I suppose it is similar to ANA's reasoning to keep operating them for another decade at least, as one of their bean counters told me recently...., in short to medium sectors the cost and dispatch reliability of the 76 is hard to beat.

Latest resources

Back