Delta to announce new INTL routes tomorrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Delta will supposedly announce tomorrow 11 new routes to INTL places where Airtran and Jetblue do not fly to, as of yet anyway.

ATL to Athens (previously served by an MD11 a few Summers ago)
ATL to Venice
ATL to Nice
ATL to Edinburgh
And previously announced TLV, CPH, and DUS

JFK to Manchester (dropped after 9-11)
JFK to Dublin and Shannon (also dropped after 9-11)(a thru flight--JFK-DUB-SNN-JFK))
JFK to Budapest
JFK to Kiev (previously announced)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
What type of aircraft will be utilized on these new international routes?

Either way, it's good news for travelers and jumpseaters. :)

Delta will supposedly announce tomorrow 11 new routes to INTL places where Airtran and Jetblue do not fly to, as of yet anyway.

now these routes seem pretty safe at least for Airtran. Not sure if our 73's could quite make it there but who knows maybe something bigger in the pipeline but being a betting man I would not drop a nickel on that one.

IFLYSIU said:
What type of aircraft will be utilized on these new international routes?

Either way, it's good news for travelers and jumpseaters. :)

I presume 767-300s or 767-400s. DAL may have to shift some otherwise domestic 767s to international. That's ok because the yields on international routes will be a lot greater than those found domestically...

MD-11's?

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I have seen several MD-11's in ATL and the MX hangars. Are thye bringing these back in for the Mil contracts or possibly these new international routes?

Oh Ya! Thanks!:)

If anyone has been to ATL, it is obvious that Delta has a tremendous amount of 767s. A lot of them have been used for Domestic purposes only. We have flown a lot of them to Florida and Airtran has set the prices. That is one reason we haven't been able to raise yeilds, too many cheap seats. Now, our new guy incharge of finding higher yeilds on new routes has figured out that we can make more on routes overseas, and we can fly mid-sized aircraft to FLA (like MD88s and 737-800s) to MCO and FLL (etc) and actually reduce the capacity somewhat and control inventory better. I doubt you will see anything larger than Song or Mainline 757s in those markets in the future. These new routes will probably be flown with 767-300ERs that were flying to London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc,(besides the 12 or so dom 767-300ERs that will be moved from Domestic to INTL) and those routes(LGW, FRA, MXP etc) will probably be flown with 767-400s that used to fly to FLA. We are now going after routes that provide better revenue on higher yeild. There are some routes being added that might be for the Frequent Flyer, like the new ATL to Maui (OGG) nonstop that will be flown with a 767-300ER (instead of the normal 767-400s flown to Hawaii), and the new SLC to Kona nonstop starting in December. A lot of the 767-300ERs that were used for Domestic flying and the 767-400s will be going overseas in the future. But, there are still some Domestic 767-300s that don't have the large gas tanks that will still go to LAX and LGA from ATL etc.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Delta is now doing what Continental started doing in the late 90's. I hope it is not "too little to late". This kind of yield management should have been incorporated years ago. That is what scares me the most about Delta's chances of surviving a Ch. 11. Over 4 years after 9/11 they have decided that flying overseas actually commands a higher revenue premium over sending 250 seat widebodies to FLA. No shoeeeeeittt?????? Good luck. The retirement benefits and careers of many people close to me depend on this late strategic move to work.

IAHERJ

IAHERJ said:
Delta is now doing what Continental started doing in the late 90's. I hope it is not "too little to late". This kind of yield management should have been incorporated years ago. That is what scares me the most about Delta's chances of surviving a Ch. 11. Over 4 years after 9/11 they have decided that flying overseas actually commands a higher revenue premium over sending 250 seat widebodies to FLA. No shoeeeeeittt?????? Good luck. The retirement benefits and careers of many people close to me depend on this late strategic move to work.

IAHERJ

Unfortunately you're right. The sad part is this mismanagement team is reactionary, rather than proactive! I hate to think that the fate of our airlines is in the hands of these bozo's!

A little help...

Where's CPH?

Didn't Delta very briefly serve CAI shortly have the AA takeover of TWA? Wonder if there is any chance of them going back. Does any US Carrier serve CAI? CO maybe?

Latest resources

Back