• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta TA Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought it was REQUIRED to apply at Delta. Did I get that wrong?

And any other decent job in the US. How many decent jobs in the US require a 737 type?

It's like when someone tries to belittle you by telling you your extremely hot girlfriend that loves to put out has one boob that's a little bigger than the other.

All the while he's hating life in the double-wide with his 300 lber and the four screaming kids.

There we have it folks. A rare glimpse into the personal life of 'Room with a View'; Valiantly defending his girlfriends deformity from the belittling attack of his trailor dwelling cousins.

Very disturbing stuff. Yet, sad and brave in a small way.

Please help redflyer see the logic.

I think he already sees it.

Question for you would be what do you define as "decent"?

The airlines that don't require a 737 type are not the ones I have any desire to work for. Been there/done that and it was not fun.

If you don't want to work for SWA then don't go get the type. Simple as that. Why people like you bemoan the fact that SWA requires a 737 type is beyond me. Why does that bother you so much? No one is forcing you to work here.

You're kidding, right? You're comparing a college degree, something that enriches one's life and makes one more marketable for almost any worthwhile job, to a type-rating that only one airline in the US requires? You're really going with that?

Yeah, I believe he IS going with that. These days, a college degree isn't what it used to be (nor is a type rating, for that matter). However, it IS a requirement to even apply at Delta. I would guess at some others as well, but Delta is all I specifically looked up.

The point is not whether educating yourself is a good idea or not. The point is whether it is an important minimum qualificaiton for a pilot job. After all, it's not like you spend all the time and money getting a 'quality' degree, enriching your life, etc. (as you point out), to only then sit down to decide: shall I be an professor or an airline pilot? People who want our job work at flying for years to put themselves in our position. It's a sometimes decades-long process. Having a degree in physical fitness, economics, or even basket-weaving doesn't really play into being a good pilot. Especially with places like online degree mills where you can get one just by spending the money and putting in a minimal amount of time.

Once upon a time, a college degree meant more, and showed a minimum level of maturity, education and commitment. Not just anybody could get one. Now? Maybe not so much. Hell, I see supposedly college-educated a$$clowns on this board saying stupid and childish things, and misspelling the simplest of words, all the friggin' time. That doesn't really say much about the strengths of a undergraduate college degree these days.

Also once upon a time, a type rating meant more and showed a level of commitment to a small company that couldn't afford to continually hire and train pilots, only to lose them to higher-paying companies. Nowadays, Southwest doesn't lose pilots over pay, but it still shows that you really, really want to work here to get the rating first.

Is it really important? Probably not anymore. At least not any more than possessing a random 4-year degree does. At least a type rating is related to flying. Regardless, they're both part of the minimum requirements to apply at our respective airlines, designated long ago as 'important' to the powers that be. On the other hand, at least I paid a lot less for my entry ticket.

Bubba

I think he already sees it.

Question for you would be what do you define as "decent"?

The airlines that don't require a 737 type are not the ones I have any desire to work for. Been there/done that and it was not fun.

If you don't want to work for SWA then don't go get the type. Simple as that. Why people like you bemoan the fact that SWA requires a 737 type is beyond me. Why does that bother you so much? No one is forcing you to work here.

I'm really not bemoaning the fact that SWA requires a type. Really. Frankly, they can require whatever they want. I'm trying to point out the false equivalency in redfler's argument that, "Well, Delta requires a degree, so what?"

A degree is required for just about every worthwhile job -- including more than one airline - in the US. And it's transferrable. The fact that Delta requires it shouldn't be seen as an obstacle for most. This is because most pilots who are serious about this career, and knowing the requirements and competition, have one.

The same could not be said of a 737 type. Hence the equivalency is dead.

Although a college degree is not a requirement for SWA, good luck getting on without one. I know there are those who have done it but to be competitive there you need a degree or a lot of luck/connections.

Latest resources

Back