• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Press ReleaseSource: ABX Air, Inc.

ABX Air Purchases Boeing 767 Aircraft, Enters Into Engine Maintenance Agreement
Wednesday August 3, 5:50 pm ET

WILMINGTON, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 3, 2005--ABX Air (NASDAQ:ABXA - News) announced today that it has purchased a Boeing 767-200 aircraft from Delta Air Lines and entered into a new engine maintenance agreement with Delta's maintenance division, Delta TechOps.

The Company anticipates placing the Boeing aircraft in revenue service by March 2006 after it is modified from passenger to cargo configuration. "We've received a number of inquiries from potential customers about our Boeing 767 airlift capability and look forward to placing this aircraft in service in support of our air transport operations," said Joe Hete, President and CEO of ABX Air.

ABX Air has also entered into a new engine maintenance agreement with Delta TechOps to perform services on ABX Air's fleet of 25 Boeing 767 aircraft, powered by General Electric CF6-80A and CF6-80A2 jet engines. The agreement calls for Delta TechOps to maintain the engines for ABX Air on an exclusive basis under a power-by-the-hour arrangement for a term of ten years.

"We are very pleased to have entered into a new 10-year agreement with Delta TechOps for the maintenance of our fleet of CF6-80A and CF6-80A2 engines," said Hete. "Delta TechOps has been the exclusive maintenance provider to ABX for these engines since we first began flying Boeing 767 aircraft seven years ago. They have extensive experience with this engine type and have provided ABX with professional and responsive service at a competitive price over the years."

ABX Air, Inc. is a cargo airline with a fleet of 115 in-service aircraft that operates out of Wilmington, Ohio, and 18 hubs throughout the United States. ABX Air became an independent public company effective August 16, 2003, as a result of the separation from its former parent company, Airborne, Inc., which was acquired by DHL Worldwide Express B.V. In addition to providing airlift capacity and sort center staffing to DHL Express (USA), Inc., ABX Air provides charter and maintenance services to a diverse group of customers. With over 9,000 employees, ABX Air is the largest employer in a several county area in southwestern Ohio. Except for historical information contained herein, the matters discussed in this release contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. ABX Air's actual results may differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements. There are a number of important factors that could cause ABX Air's actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements. These factors include but are not limited to its ability to generate revenues from sources other than DHL and other factors that are contained from time to time in ABX Air's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including ABX Air's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. Readers should carefully review this release and should not place undue reliance on ABX Air's forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements were based on information, plans and estimates as of the date of this release. ABX Air undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect changes in underlying assumptions or factors, new information, future events or other changes.

This was bound to happen. We have known that ABX likes the older 767-200s, and we are looking to ditch them. But, we do get their maintenance work, which is likely to be a lot of extra cash. They tend to be in MX quite often.(they are OLD) But, they are fun to fly, even with the rough braking during landing(steel brakes). I enjoyed them the most, even over the 757 and 767ER.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Does profit from Delta Tech Ops get all rolled into the mother ships balance sheet or is it reported as a separate entity?

Also, another ? if you don't mind, is Delta Global services "wholly owned" by Delta?

Thanks

I don't know, but it probably does. I think Delta owns that one too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

xdays said:
General,

What was the ship #?

x

I don't know, but I hope it wasn't "The Spirit of Delta." They got that one for free from the employees-----that all may not have a pension soon.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,

You would chose to fly a 767-200 over a 757 ? No way.

I only had 6 months in the 76/75 before the furlough monster sent me back to DLX but I would pick the 75 anyday. I once landed a 757 on 26R and turned off on dixie because I could (and we had an E gate) ... tower comment was "never saw that before" ... granted we were light and had some head wind but a 767-200 or -300 never would have made it.

757 = sweet airplane ... even for a fighter pilot.

The 762 is a challenge to land well, and I use autobrakes 3 until it stops on the runway. I like the 757 also, better than the 763 DOM.

Bye Bye---General Lee

spanky2 said:
GL,

You would chose to fly a 767-200 over a 757 ? No way.

I only had 6 months in the 76/75 before the furlough monster sent me back to DLX but I would pick the 75 anyday. I once landed a 757 on 26R and turned off on dixie because I could (and we had an E gate) ... tower comment was "never saw that before" ... granted we were light and had some head wind but a 767-200 or -300 never would have made it.

757 = sweet airplane ... even for a fighter pilot.

guess it sux to be in the back on your flight.

General Lee said:
The 762 is a challenge to land well, and I use autobrakes 3 until it stops on the runway. I like the 757 also, better than the 763 DOM.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Come on guys...the -200 is a pleasure to fly. Sure it's not as tight and responsive as the 757 but that flight deck is roomy.

ohplease!

Have you ever sat in the back of a CRJ? Nice comment.

You can't beat the room in the 762 cockpit. And, it is easy to store your bags, behind by the jumpseat. It flies like a tank, and if you secretly add a few knots on final and start the flare at 20 feet (like a 757) with a nice roundout, it seems to work well. The only major problem with the 762 are the touchy brakes. A Captain MADE ME taxi it once, and I got the picture really quick. I think the 757 is my second favorite. Too bad we are getting rid of the older 762s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back