• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta sees SOLID PROFIT GROWTH for 2012

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And DPA would do what? Nothing, nothing at all. They lack the resources, structure and political influence to accomplish anything other than pander.

The overwhelming number of Delta pilots realize this.

If you don't like the TA, vote it down, if you don't like your LEC rep, vote for someone you do like. So simple even a caveman can do it.

DPA and their supporters are doing significantly more harm than good for the Delta pilots.

Political influence? You mean like age 65, and crew pass, etc..... Riiight.

The overwhelming number of Delta pilots are watching to see what Dalpa does next. The 4000 or so will probably say something to the others if Dalpa doesn't get this next one right. There is a conflict of interest when it comes to mainline vs RJ operators, and this needs to be rectified. But, I think Dalpa will have a chance to show what they've got during this upcoming contract TA. If it is great, then I think the DPA's dreams are limited at best. If it isn't, well, that won't be good. Again, I am surprised by your attitude. What is wrong with holding our "agents" accountable? Delta is very profitable now (bag fees last year over $950 million), and scope with JVs and RJs is getting out of hand. Pay, workrules and scope need to be RESTORED. Hopefully Dalpa will accomplish that. If not, then that means change may be needed. How can anyone disagree with that?

Bye Bye---General Lee

And if you don't like your union, you can vote them out too.

Caveman simple.

Very true. Why don't people understand this? Produce a great contract or move over. Restoration is needed.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Political influence? You mean like age 65, and crew pass, etc..... Riiight.

The overwhelming number of Delta pilots are watching to see what Dalpa does next. The 4000 or so will probably say something to the others if Dalpa doesn't get this next one right. There is a conflict of interest when it comes to mainline vs RJ operators, and this needs to be rectified. But, I think Dalpa will have a chance to show what they've got during this upcoming contract TA. If it is great, then I think the DPA's dreams are limited at best. If it isn't, well, that won't be good. Again, I am surprised by your attitude. What is wrong with holding our "agents" accountable? Delta is very profitable now (bag fees last year over $950 million), and scope with JVs and RJs is getting out of hand. Pay, workrules and scope need to be RESTORED. Hopefully Dalpa will accomplish that. If not, then that means change may be needed. How can anyone disagree with that?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I personally want to see DALPA succeed.

Godspeed!

OYS

Gotta' disagree with you here, Dan. DPA most certainly does NOT equal USAPA. Having an inhouse union has its plusses and minuses, and that's for individual groups to decide. For a big enough airline (us or you), it can be great, overcoming the shortcomings of a national union (ALPA). On the other hand, if not run well, it'll probably hurt. It's certainly your choice; I'm not advocatiing either option for you.

However, to repeat: Delta forming an inhouse union is NOTHING like USAPA. DPA would be to replace ALPA and represent the Delta pilots as a whole, whereas USAPA was formed specifically to circumvent an arbitrated list, and specifically to advance the interests of one set of the pilots against the other set of the pilots. Unless you're insinuating that DPA is a ruse to pit one subset of Delta guys against another, they are worlds apart. Are you saying that's the case?

Bubba

Bubba, that's my point that this most certainly would divide the group into factions. This did happen post merger interesting enough.
I would say the same thing if a group of SWA pilot's tried to get ALPA on the property. It would be a foolish move and it would divide you guys too much. (hypothetical of course, in no way do I think that would be even considered) However if your union is ALPA, SWAPA or APA, it should be supported and if you don't like what's going on get involved, recall reps but don't divide up into factions. You'll lose in the long run.

I forgot to make the point that if they had a 90% in favor vote, fine, go for it. But if they are having trouble getting 50% and than won by say 51%, they would be fractured and weak from that point on. That's my comparison to USAPA.

I don't have a horse in this race but one comment I will make is that a little competition between two unions is a good thing in the same way that we have a better Coke because of Pepsi and we have a better McDonalds because of Burger King.

I don't have a horse in this race but one comment I will make is that a little competition between two unions is a good thing in the same way that we have a better Coke because of Pepsi and we have a better McDonalds because of Burger King.

I can see the reasoning except........ Unions are not a competive enterprise, they are simply the vehicle that pilot volunteers use to try and get the best contract thet think they can. Getting a new union will simply fracture the pilot group for the foreseeable future. Why not just elect new reps rather than try and reinvent the wheel?

Why not just elect new reps rather than try and reinvent the wheel?

Well when the wheel is flat. You replace the wheel. It all depends on ones perspective on how well ALPA has done (during ones career). My personal perspective, ALPA has failed miserably on many fronts. I'm personally ready to move on and start over even though DPA will struggle at first.

Latest resources

Back