• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Dec. 14, 2011, 3:11 p.m. EST
Delta Air sees ‘solid’ profit growth for 2012

Business travel is expected to climb next year as economy grows

B MarketWatch --By Christopher Hinton

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Delta Air Lines said Wednesday it expects “solid” profit growth next year on the back of strong business-travel demand and cost cutting.

For 2012, the Atlanta-based carrier said it would trim between 2% and 3% from its system-wide seat capacity to help boost its ticket prices. For trans-Atlantic flights, which include some of the industry’s highest-yielding routes, Delta and its joint venture partners want to pull their combined capacity down by 7% to 8% in anticipation of a European recession.

Globally, however, Delta expects the economy to grow slowly, spurring more deep-pocketed business people to travel. Corporate travel is expected to rise 6% to 8% next year from 2011 levels, the airline said in a government filing.
In the last four weeks, health care, financial services and transportation sector related travel are up sharply from the same period last year.

Earnings in 2011 are projected to be $800 million, or $1.1 billion after adjusting for restructuring and loss on extinguishment of debt, Delta said. Analysts surveyed by FactSet Research were looking for full-year adjusted earnings of $977 million, on average.

Delta posted an adjusted profit of $1.44 billion last year. Shares of Delta have had a rough year with fuel prices up sharply and concerns a sovereign-debt crisis in Europe could drag down the global economy and reduce the demand for flying. In the past year the carrier’s stock is off by nearly 38%, and it’s down about 3% in the last three months.
On Wednesday, Delta shares rose more than 2% to an intraday high of $8.35. More recently the stock was up 2% to $8.15.
To offset a roughly 40% jump in its fuel bill, Delta said it intends to lower its non-fuel costs to 2010 levels, but a climbing labor expense and higher airport fees have frustrated the attempt. Non-fuel costs per available seat mile next year is expected to rise by 2% to 4%, or about 40 cents higher than the targeted level.

Delta will focus on structural changes to help bring costs down, including the delivery on new, more fuel efficient Boeing Co. 737-900ER jets at the end of 2012 that will lower maintenance costs. There are also opportunities to increase employee productivity and eliminate more smaller-gauge aircraft, especially 50-seat regional jets.

Combined, these structural changes could lower the airline’s costs by $600 million to $750 million. The airline is also focused on reducing its debt, and projects its adjusted net debt at the end of 2011 will be $12.9 billion, down from $17 billion at the end of 2009. By the end of 2013, Delta wants to get its debt down to about $10 billion.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Profitable for who?
Pilots?
Where's dalpa on this?

Profitable for who?
Pilots?
Where's dalpa on this?

I hope so. The contract survey is done, and they OF COURSE said "WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR......" As I stated in the other post, the good thing is that Dalpa now has something else to worry about, the independent union drive for the DPA, which has about 4000 people signed up and needs a total of about 6500 to force a vote. If the eventual TA isn't great, then they could be on the way out. Hopefully that will add some needed pressure onto ALPA to produce....

BTW, did you notice in the last paragraph of the article how much debt has been shed since 2009? From $17 billion to $10 billion in the end of 2013?(2 years from now) That is a lot. Apparently if the debt level does reach $10 billion by 2013, there will be a savings of $500 million PER YEAR in interest payments. Think what we all could do with an extra $500 million a year? I can think of what a group of about 12,000 people could do with a part of that....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
the good thing is that Dalpa now has something else to worry about, the independent union drive for the DPA, which has about 4000 people signed up and needs a total of about 6500 to force a vote. If the eventual TA isn't great, then they could be on the way out. Hopefully that will add some needed pressure onto ALPA to produce....

YGTBSM! Really? Are you that dense or just acting that way on the internet?

YGTBSM! Really? Are you that dense or just acting that way on the internet?

Are 4000 people wrong? There are some pizzed off pilots out there, and they are hoping that Dalpa gets it right. I see NOTHING wrong with that. I am a bit surprised by your reaction, though. I think the MEC Chair got an earful out in Peachtree City, and that is just a hint of what a lot of people think. Fingers crossed that Dalpa can get it right. I hope so.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Are 4000 people wrong? There are some pizzed off pilots out there, and they are hoping that Dalpa gets it right. I see NOTHING wrong with that. I am a bit surprised by your reaction, though. I think the MEC Chair got an earful out in Peachtree City, and that is just a hint of what a lot of people think. Fingers crossed that Dalpa can get it right. I hope so.

Bye Bye---General Lee

23% pay increase "right?"

Nice job Delta.
Hopefully the AA pilots don't get hit in the shorts too bad during BK, because to get a raise, you certainly aren't getting any help from the US Air guys!

23% pay increase "right?"

Over the life of the contract? Or the first year? You have to be more specific. I hope the first year personally.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bye Bye---General Lee
Even if your number were accurate, which I doubt, it represents 1/3rd of the pilot group, and yes they could be wrong, particularly when the overwhelming majority realize that blowing farts in the wind, which is all DPA is, won't produce anything, not even what we've gotten outside of section six this year. Perhaps what is most disturbing, is that you somehow think the road forward is through fratricide. That somehow if we just beat our volunteers harder and under cut them by showing management that we are a divided group that doesn't have faith in our own democratically elected union leadership, that this will lead to superior results. Really? Whatever happened to good old fashion unionism, you know the type where you elect representatives and then actually support them. Get off the play groud General and get in the game. Try to empower your union, not subvert it. Geez!

Latest resources

Back