• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta sees SOLID PROFIT GROWTH for 2012

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gotta' disagree with you here, Dan. DPA most certainly does NOT equal USAPA. Having an inhouse union has its plusses and minuses, and that's for individual groups to decide. For a big enough airline (us or you), it can be great, overcoming the shortcomings of a national union (ALPA). On the other hand, if not run well, it'll probably hurt. It's certainly your choice; I'm not advocatiing either option for you.

However, to repeat: Delta forming an inhouse union is NOTHING like USAPA. DPA would be to replace ALPA and represent the Delta pilots as a whole, whereas USAPA was formed specifically to circumvent an arbitrated list, and specifically to advance the interests of one set of the pilots against the other set of the pilots. Unless you're insinuating that DPA is a ruse to pit one subset of Delta guys against another, they are worlds apart. Are you saying that's the case?

Bubba

Totally agree, you can't compare USAPA to a DPA or APA. USAPA gives inhouse unions a bad name, which is unfortunate.

Bubba:
I think the point here is that DPA is using the same legal representation as USAPA, ergo it's bad advice.
You make some valid points, but IMHO, the Delta pilots are better served by ALPA than the abortion counsel they have at USAPA.

You're kidding? Why would someone take advice from the same group that produced absolutely nothing for several million dollars? Wow, it's like those CEOs that go from bankruptcy to bankruptcy, tanking company after company and they keep getting offered jobs.

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but, when a pilot signs the list for a new union (DPA) doesn`t the signature become invalid after one year? If this is true then there aren`t 4000 signatures requesting a vote on a new union, only the pilots that have signed up in the past year. Someone educate me on this.

DELTA is planning to cut ANOTHER 2-3% next year 2012. I would love to Punch Anderson in the teeth. Airports are SLAMMED, planes are stuffed like a college dorm room closet and these dipsh!ts continue to cut capacity when there is a MARKET DEMAND for more capacity. Again more evidence that the hiring boom hopefuls should seek a reality pill. Corporate profitability is the ONLY motivator of Staffing, operational and shrinking measures.

???? GROWTH??? What growth?

That's for the RJs, not mainline. Lots of 50 seaters will probably be parked next year. Mainline will continue to get MD90s and trade them in for DC9s that are leaving. There is actually a net gain there in seats, and the MD90s pay more. Delta will also be getting at least one 767-300ER from GOL (Brazillian) too.

When you cut capacity, you are allowed to bump fares up, improving yeild. How are the legacies going to be able to buy new planes and compete against the Emirates of the World? When was the last time a legacy bought NEW widebodies? American just bought 5 777-300ERs, but then went into BK. That's it for large widebodies. The 787s were ordered awhile ago for CAL (now UAL), and NWA ordered some, but they have been pushed until 2020. Emirates is getting 90 A380s and now 50 new 777-300ERs. The legacies HAVE to make profits in order to actually order new planes to compete in the future. New large widebodies need to be ordered, and profits need to be had. Expect there to be only 3 legacies in the future, along with a few LCCs, and a few mega regionals flying limited flying for those legacies after losing a bunch of 50 seaters. Fewer airlines means less competition, and better pricing power. It's time for this industry to have sustained profits to help fund that growth.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but, when a pilot signs the list for a new union (DPA) doesn`t the signature become invalid after one year? If this is true then there aren`t 4000 signatures requesting a vote on a new union, only the pilots that have signed up in the past year. Someone educate me on this.

If there is a lowball TA given to us by Dalpa from the company, I think they will be able to get 6500 signatures over a weekend.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If there is a lowball TA given to us by Dalpa from the company, I think they will be able to get 6500 signatures over a weekend.

Bye Bye---General Lee
And DPA would do what? Nothing, nothing at all. They lack the resources, structure and political influence to accomplish anything other than pander.

The overwhelming number of Delta pilots realize this.

If you don't like the TA, vote it down, if you don't like your LEC rep, vote for someone you do like. So simple even a caveman can do it.

DPA and their supporters are doing significantly more harm than good for the Delta pilots.

You're right, their cards are expiring and my guess is that most wont be tricked into filling out a new one.

If you don't like the TA, vote it down, if you don't like your LEC rep, vote for someone you do like. So simple even a caveman can do it.

And if you don't like your union, you can vote them out too.

Caveman simple.

That's for the RJs, not mainline. Lots of 50 seaters will probably be parked next year. Mainline will continue to get MD90s and trade them in for DC9s that are leaving. There is actually a net gain there in seats, and the MD90s pay more. Delta will also be getting at least one 767-300ER from GOL (Brazillian) too.

When you cut capacity, you are allowed to bump fares up, improving yeild. How are the legacies going to be able to buy new planes and compete against the Emirates of the World? When was the last time a legacy bought NEW widebodies? American just bought 5 777-300ERs, but then went into BK. That's it for large widebodies. The 787s were ordered awhile ago for CAL (now UAL), and NWA ordered some, but they have been pushed until 2020. Emirates is getting 90 A380s and now 50 new 777-300ERs. The legacies HAVE to make profits in order to actually order new planes to compete in the future. New large widebodies need to be ordered, and profits need to be had. Expect there to be only 3 legacies in the future, along with a few LCCs, and a few mega regionals flying limited flying for those legacies after losing a bunch of 50 seaters. Fewer airlines means less competition, and better pricing power. It's time for this industry to have sustained profits to help fund that growth.

Bye Bye---General Lee

And if your are correct, plan to see thousands of pilots OUT OF WORK.

Latest resources

Back