• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's the text from our latest Concessionary Contract:

9. A short call pilot:
a. will remain on short call for a period that:
1) is designated by Crew Scheduling, and
2) does not exceed:
b) 24 hours in international categories.
Note: An international category pilot who has been on short call for 12 hours
will not be assigned a domestic rotation with a scheduled report earlier than
nine hours after notification.
l

How can someone be on call for 24hrs? I must be missing something here.

Also, does being assigned short-call increase your guarantee to 70hrs?

Also, how much notice do they have to give when they switch you from long-call to short call? Ie: A long-call guy is anticipating a 12-hr report time, suddenly he is placed on short-call, does he still get 12 hrs?

Thanks

I'm new to the international ops stuff so excuse my ignorance. I'm wondering what a junior First Officer on the ER in NYC can expect. (Other than sacrificing QOL and on reserve for a very long time). Do all trips go out with a relief First Officer? Is there any domestic flying in category or are all trips international? Also, what is the duration of most trips ie. 3,4,6 days. I'm looking at recall real soon and want to stay in NY. M88 would be great for natural seat progression but I think I would get burned out on the Shuttle pretty quick. 73N might be best bet. I'd like to get on one airplane and sit tight for awhile, barring unforseen events. Of course I might not have a choice in the matter, but talking to a few recently recalled buds it looks like there might be some more chioices for the next couple of classes. Any opinions from NYC guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, does being assigned short-call increase your guarantee to 70hrs?

On reserve, you have a 70 hour guarantee....short or long call doesn't matter. A total of 8 short calls max per month is allowed.

GogglesPisano said:
Also, how much notice do they have to give when they switch you from long-call to short call? Ie: A long-call guy is anticipating a 12-hr report time, suddenly he is placed on short-call, does he still get 12 hrs?

Thanks

When on reserve, you must check the computer every day. You are supposed to know by 1500 (ATL time) the day prior, what type of reserve you have for the next day. Many times, I would check the computer earlier (around noon), and it would already have the short/long call list posted. If you don't acknowledge on the computer, you will get a call from crew scheduling later in the day.

I remember being on long call many times, and getting assigned a trip the next day (a lot more than 12 hours notice). On short call, like others have said, 2 hours is probably the max time they would expect for you to report. I've had many schedulers ask me "how fast can you get here?"

Regarding the 24 hour international reserve, I never flew the ER, so maybe someone else can explain that.

Last edited:
Good thread... I also am considering a return in the next few months. My Qs
1 What is commuting to NY like? (from DTW)
2 How many days a month can I expect to get back home to MI while on reserve.

On long call you have twelve hours to respond to a trip. If they give you a short call, the time varies at the schdulers discretion. You will be on short call for twelve hours during which time you have to be able to respond within two hours.

Nice.

CAL's "improved" contract has a long call of 9 hours (!). So if you're a commuter sitting home, scheduling can call at 10pm for a 7am show. Good luck not getting an OOP (Out of Position) and a visit to the chief.

Plus they can change your long call to short call, also with 9 hours notice. So you can be at home at 10pm and they call and say you're on short call starting at 7am next day.

As you can see, long call is basically useless at CAL.

On duty for short call is the full Whitlow Ruling 16 hours. Sixteen on, eight off. So, to be completely legal, if you're on five days of reserve you cannot have a beer for five days because you're never more than 8 hours away from being on duty.

This, among many other work rules, is why it isn't just about payscales when comparing companies.

Perhaps this should have been posted on the CAL or DAL? thread.

Last edited:
Good thread... I also am considering a return in the next few months. My Qs
1 What is commuting to NY like? (from DTW)
2 How many days a month can I expect to get back home to MI while on reserve.

do not know the answer to a and for b. I have worked or been on short call every day available this month

On duty for short call is the full Whitlow Ruling 16 hours. Sixteen on, eight off. So, to be completely legal, if you're on five days of reserve you cannot have a beer for five days because you're never more than 8 hours away from being on duty.

For what little difference its worth, on duty times are 15 hour windows at CAL. 9 hours off duty and 3 hours to push time after call out. So if you need a beer to escape from the horrors of your life you can certainly do so legally.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back