Delta Reserve ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

Can a MD88 RSV pick up flying on days off to go over the 70 hour guarantee? What about greenslip for 1.5x??

Is there still a long vs short call? How does it work?

Usually, is there time available to pick up? What fleet would be the best to pick up from?

Thanks!

Can a MD88 RSV pick up flying on days off to go over the 70 hour guarantee? What about greenslip for 1.5x??

yes on reserve you can pick up flying on off days. You have two choices. First is a yellow slip, which means you volunteer to fly on your off days, but it is not extra pay. It still counts toward your reserve guarantee, just gives you extra days to get flying time to try and get above the 70 hour guarantee.

Your second choice is to put in a greenslip. On reserve if you get a greenslip, all the time you fly during that greenslip is paid above the 70 hour guarantee, and you get your days off back. So if you pick up a greenslip worth 15 hours, you are now up to 85 hours pay, and you get your days off back. This was working well in come categories for a while. But, now that most categories are pretty well staffed, its not working too well. Keep in mind, greenslips are awarded based on seniority so a regular line holder who is senior to you would get the greenslip before you do.

Is there still a long vs short call? How does it work?

Usually, is there time available to pick up? What fleet would be the best to pick up from?

forgot to answer your other two questions so here goes.

Yes, there is still long call/short call. Every day on reserve is a long call day unless they place you on short call. On long call you have twelve hours to respond to a trip. If they give you a short call, the time varies at the schdulers discretion. You will be on short call for twelve hours during which time you have to be able to respond within two hours.

There is very little time to pick up in any fleet right now. PBS does a pretty good job of sweeping the pot clean during the line building process, and what trips do come open are usually fairly short notice. Exception to that right at this moment seems to be the 767B. But that changes with each new bid.

How busy is reserve on the various fleets right now? Say for example someone was living at their base and happy with min guarantee. On average how often would you be called on the different fleets? I realize it varies throughout the year, but I was just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

How busy is reserve on the various fleets right now? Say for example someone was living at their base and happy with min guarantee. On average how often would you be called on the different fleets? I realize it varies throughout the year, but I was just trying to get an idea. Thanks.

seems to be dependent on your fleet, and by that I mean specifically are you in a domestic category or an international category. The domestic categories are for the most part pretty tightly staffed. You can count on flying pretty close to the reserve guarantee every month, if not even above it. International categories have more reserves. In the summer you will fly a lot but no so much in the winter. International has to be staffed a little higher, you just don't have to option of breaking up a trip to get it filled when you run out of reserves.

The reserve system, which I forgot to mention earlier, assigns trips based on your RAW(which I think stands for reserve assignment weighting) score. This is figured via a complicated formula, but basically the more you fly the higher your score. When trips are assigned, they give out the trip to the lower RAW score. So the flying is pretty much spread out among the reserves. Very hard to use seniority to fill up.

michael707767,

Thanks for the insight in reserve at Delta. By the way, what are the min days off on reserve at Delta?

You will be on short call for twelve hours during which time you have to be able to respond within two hours.

Minor Correction - Unless I'm reading the new contract wrong (very likely), there is no time limit regarding report time unless you are traveling to your base. I live 80 miles north of Atlanta and have sat many short calls. When asked if I can make it in two hours, I reply "I will be there promptly." I've only had one Scheduler complain and put me on report, but the Chief Pilot's Office laughed at the report.

Here's the text from our latest Concessionary Contract:

9. A short call pilot:
a. will remain on short call for a period that:
1) is designated by Crew Scheduling, and
2) does not exceed:
a) 12 hours in domestic categories, or
b) 24 hours in international categories.
Note: An international category pilot who has been on short call for 12 hours
will not be assigned a domestic rotation with a scheduled report earlier than
nine hours after notification.
b. must be promptly available for contact by Crew Scheduling during his short call period until the earlier of:
1) the end of the short call period, or
2) his departure to report for an awarded/assigned rotation.
Exception: A pilot will not be required to be available for contact during the first two
hours of his short call period as follows:
a) At the time the pilot is notified of his conversion to short call, the pilot will
advise Crew Scheduling that he will be:
i. traveling to his base, and
ii. unavailable for contact during the first two hours of the short call.
b) The pilot must be able to report for a rotation with a report as early as two
hours after the start of the short call period.
c) When the pilot arrives at his base, he assumes responsibility for
acknowledging any rotation placed on his line by checking his schedule via
DBMS or contacting Crew Scheduling.
d) When the pilot checks his schedule, his line may contain a rotation with a
report as early as two hours from the start of the short call period.
c. who travels to his base under Section 23 S. 9. b. Exception and is assigned to a coterminal
base, will be permitted additional time to reposition from the airport of
arrival to the airport at which the rotation originates (if necessary).
d. must be able to promptly report for an awarded/assigned rotation.
e. will not be assigned a rotation without an attempted contact by Crew Scheduling.

I wish you success!
William, AKA Bill

Minor Correction - Unless I'm reading the new contract wrong (very likely), there is no time limit regarding report time unless you are traveling to your base........... b. must be promptly available for contact

no, you are right. On short call the contract specifies promptly available, not a specific time. It's worded this way because we all know in a big city like ATL or NYC, the time of day can severely affect your travel time to the airport. However, outside of unusual circumstances, promptly available is normally accepted to be about two hours.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back