• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta replacing 50 seater RJs with MD90s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 88 717's would replace the '9s and get the 50 seat RJ fleet sub-250.

No, it's either 120 717s or 75 A319s from the rumor I heard. All used, of course. Just rumors out there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I hope this is true. It will also be interesting to see how the pilot hiring plays out over the short term. If DAL waits until 2015 to hire, they will be losing quite a large number of qualified applicants to United/Continental, whom is supposed to begin their hiring in the fall. Pilots will be a commodity in the future picture- going to be very neat to watch this unfold.

I was VERY suprised to hear of DAL's decision to delay hiring, as I figured there would be difficulty in training the number of pilots needed, and that the newhires would have to be "metered" through the training department. I just figured this would mean they would have to hire a tad before they actually needed to.

Come on jumpers, you have to know that proactive thinking is not allowed in the airline industry. All decisions must be only reactionary in nature.

If you must know they plan on starting up the process in the last quarter of 2012 but not actually hire until 2013 . This based on not having to rebudget money from 2012.

No, it's either 120 717s or 75 A319s from the rumor I heard. All used, of course. Just rumors out there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The 22 717's at Boeing + the 88 at AT would make it 110. That's about the fleet size I'm hearing floated.

AerSale buying 25 of Saudi Arabian’s MD-90s

AerSale has paid a substantial, undisclosed deposit to acquire 25 of Saudi Arabian Airlines' Boeing MD-90s, according to a source close to the situation.

The Florida-based lessor completed the acquisition of the first MD-90 aircraft (MSN 53506) only yesterday. Saudi will be delivering a further two aircraft later in the month.

AerSale is financing the transaction internally through an all-equity purchase, the source says.

Saudi is selling 24 of the 27 MD-90s it retired from service between 2009 and 2011, as well as one MD-90 it is actively flying as a VIP aircraft for the Saudi royal family, the source notes.

The Middle Eastern carrier will be delivering three aircraft a month to AerSale, culminating in the delivery of the VIP aircraft sometime next year.

Despite Delta Air Lines buying up a slew of MD-90s from China Eastern in 2010, industry sources say Saudi's MD-90 fleet will be more difficult to lease out to airlines. This is due to the harsher flying conditions they have endured, as well as their modified flight decks.

"They [Saudi's MD-90s] are not a standard fit as they have MD-11 style flight decks, making them less desirable in the market," one of the sources notes.

AerSale is nevertheless optimistic about leasing some of the MD-90s to other airlines, while others will be sent for part-out, the first source reveals.

The exact proportion to be leased out will be decided upon following a thorough inspection by AerSale, but the aim is to keep as many aircraft as possible in the sky. "They are still young, built between 1998 and 2000, and have [International Aero Engines] V2500 engines, which is the same engine that Airbus uses," the source says.

AerSale's desire to keep the MD-90s flying bodes well for the future of the aircraft, which has become something of a dying breed. Only 59 of the MD-90s still in existence are currently in service, according to Flightglobal's Ascend Online database, with the remaining 49 in storage. In addition to Delta's fleet of 34 MD-90s in service and 18 in storage, Japan Airlines has a further 12 in service and one in storage.

It is understood that Saudi took the decision to phase out the MD-90s in anticipation of its upcoming deliveries of Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft. Last year, Airbus delivered three A320s, seven A321s and one A330 to the airline, and a further seven deliveries have been scheduled for 2012, according to Ascend Online.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back