Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta receives approval to exceed pilot flight time limits.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the L-1011 fly ATL-HNL and FRA-DFW with just the standard crew, Capt., F/O, & S/O ?

A 3 holer (Pilot, Co-pilot and Flight engineer) has 12 hr flt time limit while the 2 man crew has 8 hours unless a reserve pilot is put on board.

Past....

A 3 holer (Pilot, Co-pilot and Flight engineer) has 12 hr flt time limit while the 2 man crew has 8 hours unless a reserve pilot is put on board.

Yes, because as we all know, *three* people all working for 12 hrs straight is just as safe as *two* people both working for 8 hrs straight. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

I'm just LMAO at this particular turn-around. This isn't a limited volunteer study of a few flights under strictly controlled circumstances. It's being approved for every single flight on this route, whether the pilots want to or not. For all the protesting done on how 8 hrs is the no-kidding, ultimate, drop dead limit on the absolute far edges of flight time safely allowed per pilot, now we hear that under certain circumstances 8 1/2 hrs might be OK. Hypocrites, the lot of you. You have no leg to stand on, period.

Not that I'm for it, but 17-hour legs equals about 4 legs a month....

It's not whether or not this is a good idea. Intelligent folks can agree to disagree. What's priceless is watching these guys trying to backpedal while eating a truckload of crow.

Last edited:
It's being approved for every single flight on this route, whether the pilots want to or not.

Unless the DALPA contract has been voided, there is verbiage in the contract that limits flight and duty times. The company will need to negotiate this with the union.
JUST SAY NO! :angryfire

Dear Ms. Lee

Jen Lee,

You never cease to amaze me.

Hugs & Kisses,

R5

Unless the DALPA contract has been voided, there is verbiage in the contract that limits flight and duty times. The company will need to negotiate this with the union.
JUST SAY NO! :angryfire
They better get at least triple time for it.

Put a fifth pilot on the friggin' flight. I can't believe that DALPA and ALPA are going to allow this.
What's next - an 8 1/2 nonstop without augmentation?
If DALPA agrees to this, the Pandora's Box will have been opened, never to be closed again.

I agree. Put on the fifth pilot. I would even support creating a cruise pilot position for this, a new hire trained to sit in the seat and answer the radios and moniter the instruments for a couple of hours to get the other pilots below 8 hours of flying.

I am suprised to see this....I'm not familiar enough with that part of our contract though...guess we'll see what happens. With the company shifting to a lot of ultra-long-haul flying we should pay more attention. Meanwhile, throw on the 5th pilot!

General, I love ya but quit backpedalling! ;)

Yes, because as we all know, *three* people all working for 12 hrs straight is just as safe as *two* people both working for 8 hrs straight. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

I'm just LMAO at this particular turn-around. This isn't a limited volunteer study of a few flights under strictly controlled circumstances. It's being approved for every single flight on this route, whether the pilots want to or not. For all the protesting done on how 8 hrs is the no-kidding, ultimate, drop dead limit on the absolute far edges of flight time safely allowed per pilot, now we hear that under certain circumstances 8 1/2 hrs might be OK. Hypocrites, the lot of you. You have no leg to stand on, period.

The difference is that we did NOT want this change, and you guys do want your change. Also, the FAA agreed to this, whereas your company broke FARs. Your legs were sheered off, and ours are just sprained.

And, ask your own company to provide the data on your transcon turns and the other tests they did with early departures from JFK and a day sleep in OAK or other West Coast cities. Those tests were even worse, according to my JB friend. Maybe you should get crew rest facilities for your A320s?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back