• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Posts 2nd Qtr Results, Ends Qtr with $5.4 Billion Liquidity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....sounds like you will enjoy it when more people lose their job.....Hell of "brotherhood" here at ALPA....Every man for themselves should be our motto....

Sorry, but DAL has an airline to run, and there are far too many RJs for
the business plan.

While Delta lost $257 million last quarter, Comair is paying out 6.37% in profit sharing, "the highest since the program's inception."

Between Comair and Delta Air Lines, Comair is actually contributing to the corporation's liquidity.

Last edited:
Between Comair and Delta Air Lines, Comair is actually contributing to the corporation's liquidity.

That is debatable

You do realize that even if we operate an empty flight we still make a profit, even though Delta loses money. So contributing to the bottom line...that depends on how you define of contributing.

Then again DL had an operating profit for the quarter, so the argument can be made that we did contribute, we will never know how much or how little though.

Last edited:
Speaking of Comair, I found this entertaining - Answers some questions

TO: Comair Pilots
DATE: December 16, 2002
Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.
We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.
We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.
We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise. It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.
At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.
Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.
Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY41018
859-282-9016 FAX 859-283-5533

Guys go look at the DAL 10K. I know these numbers are not even close to accurate, but it does give a glimpse.
Fact is that DAL take the leases of a bunch of CRJ's and ERJ's and hits them against the mainline general ledger. The staffing for the gates and ramp hits our general ledger. (Point of where the costs are really costed out)

Fact is that we pay hundreds of millions of dollars a year in guaranteed margins to the carriers of the DCI portfolio. SKW is reporting a margin of under 3%. It is not because they are not getting 7-12% from DAL, it is their own accounting practices that are doing that. Fact is that DAL is still taking a U-Haul truck up to St George every month and dumping off 10's of millions of dollars in marginalized profits. That my friends is where DAL's money is going.
The former leaders of this company leveraged a huge percentage of our profit (margin) to these regionals. It is going to chance, and is changing, but it is a slow painful process.
The regionals are about ready to get slapped and hard. These contracts have these little loop holes in them, that because of the economy etc, DAL will TRY to exploit. If they do, I feed very sorry for my brethern stuck at any of these places. As they say, "Look out below...."

The regionals are about ready to get slapped and hard. These contracts have these little loop holes in them, that because of the economy etc, DAL will TRY to exploit. If they do, I feed very sorry for my brethern stuck at any of these places. As they say, "Look out below..."

Leases on many 50 seaters are coming up for renewal. DAL can simply not renew them, and leave it to the individual DCI to pay the lessor while still honoring the air service agreement. Of course as soon as they have to pay the lease payments their guaranteed profits dry up and they will want backout of their contracts, which DAL will let them - at a price.

The new proposed rest and hiring rules will kill off the pond scum pilot puppy mills and bottom feeder regionals. Good riddance I say

While I take no joy in any one else's misery I really don't give a flying crap about the job losses there. In 12 years at NWA I went from having close to 3500 beneath me to ~1200 (pre-merger #'s) while PCL and others grew exponentially while SJS "dude, where my jet" kids were crowing about getting upgrades as soon as they had a 100hrs in the CRJ and how they were no different than a 747 Captain.

Actually I take back what I said - I'm going to enjoy watching a lot of these pups get their comeuppance. Welcome to the airline biz.

Last edited:
Tell me how you really feel. ;)

I am sure that there will be some change to the ATP requirements. Like ERAU, UND etc. They know they need bodies and there is no way that with the Air Force flying UAV's that civvies are going to pay for 1500 hrs of time unless it comes from a P-51;)

I will say that I few with many great pilots at ASA, and money other good ones. Fact is that these pilots are like all of us. The only reason they want more jets is so they can get their PIC time and get out. The bigger problem is that they cannot put their head up above the berm and realize that getting those jets is making getting that job they desire that much harder. It is time to break the chain, and with that is going to come a lot of pain.

WOW! Big word. Had to look it up. comeuppance =
–noun Informal. deserved reward or just deserts, usually unpleasant: He finally got his comeuppance for his misbehavior.

While Delta lost $257 million last quarter, Comair is paying out 6.37% in profit sharing, "the highest since the program's inception."

Keep telling yourself that. The bell is tolling, as predicted. I commented a long time ago that the lucrative deals dealt to the regionals, which accounted for their large growth, HAD to come to an end. They are. The bells are tolling.

How much did you guys pay for a reservations call center to fill those planes? How about advertising?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ya know....

If see see Dickson, I want to ask why a pilot who bangs a wingtip gets a week or so off, or in a major disregarded safety issue could get fired....my question being, who's getting fired for setting up them brilliant hedges????

Nevermind, I already know the answer....NOBODY!

Latest resources

Back