• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Plane Loses Wing Panel During Flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As professionals, we have to take safety seriously. From the mechanics who look like they probably lacked attention to detail to the pilot that missed this on the walk around. It seems like a corporate culture of not making safety a priority.

yeah because you can see the top of the wing on the 757 walking around it

Yeah-- gotta say that this one will probably go on the last Mx rep to sign logbook. It is impossible to see the top of the wing during a walk-around and I don't think any operator requires a visual check from inside the cabin except in cases of pre takeoff contamination check (though i can see that one changing soon..since they'll certainly be trying to blame the pilots).

Something tells me that they're pouring over airport gate surveillance footage currently..

As professionals, we have to take safety seriously. From the mechanics who look like they probably lacked attention to detail to the pilot that missed this on the walk around. It seems like a corporate culture of not making safety a priority.
Am I supposed to be able to see the future? The report states the panel came off in flight, not that it was missing before the flight departed. Do I buy a crystal ball? Perhaps a Ouija Board should replace the flashlight on the walk around!?!?

Am I supposed to be able to see the future? The report states the panel came off in flight, not that it was missing before the flight departed. Do I buy a crystal ball? Perhaps a Ouija Board should replace the flashlight on the walk around!?!?

Wonder if tanker is finally at SWA.

I didn't see the part that it came off in flight. ...It'll be hard to blame some individual for that one..

A pre flight would take days if you checked every thing you thought some one else missed. Should we start checking torque settings on wheel hubs? Maybe go and check the FAs secured their carts before take off? Climb up in the APU bay and see if everything is connected correctly? The point is you do your pre flight and you trust other things are done correctly because it's the only way you ever get in the air. Had this been a pre flight item I would agree with you but you don't make up your own items to check just because.

I am assuming you never flew a 757 maybe I am wrong but since I have quit a bit of time in them I can say that it's just nonsense that you would do that every pre flight.

I personally pop the hatches and walk out on both wings during my walk around. I strap a seat cushion to my butt in case I fall off the wing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back