Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From The local Peachtree city paper

Hey Flyguy this sounds just like you.

All I can say is, all the Delta employees should try to understand why they should have unionized themselves along time ago. Its amazing the amount of ignorance these people have on the process, but that is why they are content with making $30k/yr for life.

Medeco

A letter to Delta pilots from Tampa reservations agent

Tue, 04/11/2006 - 4:18pm
By: Letters to the ...
I am a reservations agent in Tampa, Fla., and I thought that it might be beneficial to express to you what many of us on the front lines feel about the pilots’ position regarding a strike.
I don’t write this to attack you in any way, and in fact, I am probably more sympathetic than most of my fellow agents.
I recognize that nobody wants to have their pay cut, and while many of us that make less than $30,000 a year find it difficult to be sympathetic to a work group that averages over $150,000 a year, I recognize that people tend to live up to their means and a cut in pay for anyone is a real and sincere sacrifice.
That being said, I believe that your threat to strike is myopic and self-serving. I have read some of the material on the ALPA Web site and in a number of places the claim is made that Delta is “Our Airline.”
I beg to differ. It is not only “your” airline. There are about 6,000 pilots out of over 47,000 employees. It is as much my airline as it is yours and yet you hold the power to take action that will not only affect you, but 41,000 other people.
I am certain we could have a healthy debate about contracts and fairness, what you have and have not given, what the company has done or not done ad nauseam. I don’t doubt that there is some validity to your position. No side can be completely right in such a matter.
But the bottom line is that this is not the same industry that it was 10 years ago. 9-11, the advent of low-cost carriers, changes in the dynamics of business travel and rising fuel prices, among other things, have altered the dynamics of the industry forever and an airline simply cannot sustain itself with the cost structure it was once able to.
I find it difficult to believe that if you shut down our airline, the people you represent are going to be able to walk out on the street and find jobs making what they would make even if you accept Delta’s concession in toto.
One line in your letter caught my attention: “It is a sad footnote in Delta’s history that in a business where people matter...”
To be blunt, people are not just pilots and as you chart a course forward, I hope you will take into consideration that there are 41,000 of us out here that your decisions will impact; 41,000 of us that have mortgages, kids to feed, cars to pay for and backs to put clothes on.
We have made our own sacrifices, absorbed pay cuts and benefit reductions and we have hung in there because we believe that if we all pull together, we can turn Delta around and bring her back to the great airline she once was.
Quite frankly, we are angry that 7.8 percent of the workforce has power over the rest of us, that 7.8 percent of the workforce has the capacity to send the other 92.2 percent of us to the unemployment line. Since it is OUR airline, perhaps all 47,000 of us should vote as to whether you strike or not.
I think I am pretty typical of most of the front-line Delta employees. I made less than $30,000 last year. I have taken pay and benefit cuts to stay with Delta.
Why? Because I enjoy my job, I enjoy the ability to travel and I have found Delta to be a good company to work for. But, at what I make, I don’t have a cushion. I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck and I am basically up the proverbial creek if that paycheck stops, even for a short time.
I would guess that most of your pilots have the means to handle a temporary period of unemployment, but most of us on the customer service side do not have that luxury. Is your union going to help me pay my rent and child support if you choose to strike and run this airline out of business?
You have complained that you believe that the company views the threat of a strike as “saber rattling” or empty threats, but I get the impression that you believe the claim that a strike would force a liquidation of the company as an idle threat as well.
I have a background in business and a degree in accounting and let me assure you, these are not empty words. Delta Air Lines does not have the resources to survive even a short strike.
If one looks at the situation objectively, one has to conclude that the pilots’ position is based either on ignorance to reality or that you simply do not care what happens to YOUR airline. Either way, it seems pretty foolish from this vantage point.
Finally, I should add that I work in special member services and spend my day talking almost exclusively to medallion level frequent fliers. I talk to between 60 and 100 people a day and I am asked multiple times each day what I think about the possibility of a strike.
In all of the months that this has been going on, I have yet to ever have one passenger state that they support your position. Most are sympathetic, but state the obvious: the industry has changed and you would be foolish to strike.
I don’t expect this to change your mind, or alter your position, but I felt that it was important, as you move forward, to be reminded of the responsibility you have taken upon yourself.
You are not only playing with the lives of the men and women you represent, you are playing with the lives of 41,000 other people, not to mention our passengers, who have entrusted their money and plans to us in the faith that we will get them where they need to go.
There is only one word that can be used for a course of action that would negatively impact so many people in such a profound way: selfish.
I urge you to endeavor to find some solution to this issue short of shutting down the airline. It is simply not the right thing to do.
Mike Maharrey
Tampa, Fla.
login or register to post comments

Well, I guess I didnt expect much from a gate agent.... Probably helps write manuals on her days off... for free.

Fight fellas... fight !!

Yeah.. we start out loving our jobs..(commuters, military, freight), then like every job.. it is a JOB.. Gone from home, missing kids school events, eating at Fridays everyday... Checkrides, drycleaning, paying for braces, saving for kids college... bla bla bla... 14 hour workdays... Yeah its a blast nowadays.. And to top it off ... have to fight for cost of living increases and simple scheduling improvemnents..

Good Luck Delta !! Your actions are truly commendable. And..truly.. have a nice Easter... a time of renewal ... ;)

Flyguy801 said:
but what about all the people who are above and below the wing (CS and Ramp), Dispatchers (Everyone in OCC), Maintenance people and Admin? They all have families they have to support like the rest of us,

Why should anyone,pilot or otherwise, have to work under what they feel are unacceptable conditions just because of anothers circumstance? It is a free country and strikes happen.

~~~^~~~ said:
How you guys continue to get this wrong just amazes me. The RJDC is fighting for scope, better scope than we have now.
Wrong. It amazes me that you don't even read your own lawsuit. The rjdc is trying to sue to get larger aircraft at DCI to fly them for cheaper. Fortunately ALPA has been able to keep this suit at bay, and even more fortunate is that judge Glasser saw through this greed and threw out 9 of 10 claims sought by this group of extortionists!

Scope is currently used as a super C scale to keep pilots away from the coveted mainline jobs. Members of the Delta MEC have said that they see scope as a way to ensure military pilots never have to fly at the Regional level.
Again, wrong! Scope is used to protect mainline jobs! Again, the rjdc wants the bigger jets at DCI so they can fly them for less money, again luckily for us, this case had 9 out of 10 claims dismissed!

Supporters of the RJDC feel that non mainline pilots should be able to participate in scope negotiations within the brand - to stop whipsaw and restore the piloting profession together. This is a position also adopted by ALPA, but not enforced. ALPA simply asks that MEC's get along, rather than stepping in an providing leadership. Without any leadership, or any enforcement of the rules, big MEC's run over small MEC's and the divisions between pilot groups result in what we see around us now.
Supporters of the rjdc want nothing more than money. Remember the promise to be 777 captains. The idea here is that they will fly them for less money but make up for it in their lawsuit money!

The Delta pilots are correct to say "No Contract - No Work." However, those who believe that pay should be restored and scope tightened do not understand the economics of the situation. ALPA does understand these economics and has promoted the idea that regional pilots should work for less, sometimes much less, so that the parent company has the cash to pay mainline guys more. If the Delta MEC tries to get a better compensation package for those in the big house they are going to need the DCI slaves down on the plantation. That is the way this all started in Ron Allen's day and ALPA is much more divided now than it was then.
The rjdc guys want to bring the flying to DCI thus illiminating the higher pay. They don't care about money. They are all going to be multi millionares when they think they will win the lawsuit!

The Northwest pilots tried to bring most of the flying in house and are paying a high price (but not as high a price as the Mesaba pilots whos jobs are being destroyed and given to other ALPA members). The RJDC plays a protective role on the Delta property. If such a thing was attempted involving Comair, or ASA, ALPA is assured that their conduct will be reviewed by the Courts.
Its already being reviewed by the courts. Luckily the judge saw through the rjdc's extortion and threw out 9 of 10 claims. The promise of bigger jets at DCI has fueled the rjdc's plight of promising their members they will all be flying 777's and that their lack of money they will make will be supplemented by the lawsuit won in court to make them all millionaires! The rjdc has been trying to lower wages since their lawsuit began 6 years ago. DF and his pals thought the way to do this was to extort money from dues paying ALPA members. Remember, usually the rjdc supporters are the most vocal. The majority of DCI pilots don't agree with this fruitless lawsuit and don't support it. But the rjdc would have you think their numbers are in the 1000's, when in actuality, their numbers are very few.

737 Pylt - OK, why do mainline pilots keep taking regional pilots jobs for less pay? Like the Northwest and US Air pilots have already done.

You keep guessing about other peoples' motivations when you don't know their motivations. Your allegations are not proof of anything.

The history of contracts and pay scales during this race to the bottom proves the point that regional pilots need scope within the brand.

~~~^~~~ said:
Actually, the Delta pilots' 100 seat pay rate is already less than pilots at most DCI carriers earn. In the race to the bottom the mainline guys hold the pole position because ALPA provides them with full representation within the brand, while the regional carrier does not have the same ability to negotiate. For example Comair can not negotiate with Delta, only Comair.

It would be impossible for a regional to underbid a mainline pilot in the current ALPA structure. Refer to threads about Northwest, Mesaba and Compass.

123/hr? Who is that lower than?

It's happening again!

I well remember the APA's strike of 1997. Bob Crandall, myself, and the rest of the management team had several meetings before the 15 minute strike. I probably shouldn't mention this, but since VA won't be unionized, I guess it's OK.

Our main plan, of course, was to have the correct politicians in our pocket, and these would create pressure on the hill. The result was Clinton doing exactly what we wanted - ordering the pilots back to work.

Public opinion was another matter. A disinformation campaign was launched weeks before the deadline to portray pilots as greedy and lazy. The rhetoric was ludicrous, but effective... "I guess the pilots won't be able to afford that 2nd Mercedes, etc" The target audience was ticket agents, mechanics, bag slingers, janitors, anyone who made less than the pilots. Having the non-pilot employees transfer their own job displeasure onto the pilots rather than management created huge rifts in the company's work groups. We KNEW pilots were under huge pressure from the other employees. That was our plan from the beginning.

I'm delighted to see this happening once more... the non-pilot employees of Delta are fighting our battle for us! Remember, nothing foments anger and hatred more than raw envy. Given our management salaries, I'm shocked but pleased that the invective from the agents and baggage handlers is directed towards the pilot group, rather than us.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back