• Watchers 24

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spooky 1 said:
There are just to many qualifed pilots out of work today to dismiss all of them as non-combatants.

I think that's the bottom line here. ALPA has made itself largely irrelevant in the pax. segment of our industry by turning its back on the principles that had served it so well over time to embrace "me, me, me" instead. Now there's precious little moral authority left in the industry to dissuade opportunistic slime from facilitating management's well-organized attack by capitalizing on the misfortune of others.

I agree that it's too easy for those of us without a dog in this fight to sit in the stands and exhort Delta's pilots to fight to the last man. Still, the sad fact of the matter is that if those of us already on the "inside" don't dig in our heels and make a stand together we'll eventually be overcome by those on the outside to whom flying widebodys for starvation wages seems like a pretty good deal compared to whatever they're doing (or not doing) now.

Last edited:
The American Public is hoping you'll strike

As a casual observer, I hope that the Delta Pilots strike and bring Delta management to their knees - then buy the company back.

And I know the general public will support you all in this endeavor, because it's not just happening to you - it's happening to all of us who make a company. If you market your strike as "We're not just trying to save Delta, we're trying to save your future - Corporations cannot continue to do this to the workers". The American public is coming to the harsh reality that corporations (along with the puppet gov't they've bought) are scr*wing the actual folks who made the company and this country. We're rapidly becoming a nation of kings and serfs - in 10yrs the middle class will be gone .

Three years ago I came across an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution on how Delta mgmt insulated their own pension plans from bankruptcy. At that moment I knew the executive mgt had been planning on taking Delta to bankruptcy; and IMHO, this wasn't something they thought about that year. You all know management, the larger the company, the slower the wheels turn, so in my estimate these executives have been planning on putting Delta into bankruptcy for more than 6 years, yes, prior to 9/11. They had no plans to turn Delta around, they only had plans to drive it into the ground, for what ever slight of hand business reason these people do these things. Most likely, they were trying to sell it. I'm a former dot.com employee and saw this thought process in action all the time – mess w/workers salaries, create conditions so people will want to leave, bring in a CEO who specializes in destroying companies - then sell it to stuff the top executives and board pockets. However, in their usual shortsightedness and lack of planning for the greater good (the company), they didn’t realize the minor hurdles that came about – so here they sit, trying to blame the pilots pay and pensions as one of their primary downfalls. How dare they!!

They do not deserve to have the company nor your lives in their clutches – let them crash and burn. You owe them nothing.

[FONT=&quot]I’m sorry to put the ‘bigger’ picture on your shoulders, but in reality you are a strong organization, much stronger and richer than others who are going through this nightmare.

Taradale
--------------------------------------------
The avg CEOs compensation jumped 30% in 2004 - did yours?
(I realize Delta's mgmt took a pay cut in the last year - but, that's a day late and dollar short. It wasn't the employees or pilots that destroyed Delta, it was the mgmt.)[/FONT]

Last edited:
Delta pilots aren't going to strike. You know it, I know it, my dog knows it and above all management knows it.

Hey Delta guys I dont care how much the older DLT/CMR guys hate each other but the minute you guys go on strike (If it comes down to a strike) I will go on strike. I also know that a great deal of other CMR pilots will do the same. Good Luck. UBA757

taradale said:
As a casual observer, I hope that the Delta Pilots strike and bring Delta management to their knees - then buy the company back.

[FONT=&quot]Taradale
--------------------------------------------
[/FONT]

taradale,

Buy it back with what ?

Again all the management bashing, if any one has the answers step up and save DAL. The strike certainly will not solve any problems. It is kinda like a W.W.II Japanese solider jumping off a cliff because it is honorable.

Pilotyip so when does it end? When do we say enough is enough? We have to do something. We all have to get toguether and tell management that we are not going to pay for their mistakes any longer. I dont care if you fly for AA, UAL, DAL, NWA, SW, JB or any other carrier. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. UBA757

uba757 said:
I dont care if you fly for AA, UAL, DAL, NWA, SW, JB or any other carrier. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. UBA757

Don't get me wrong and I totally agree with your sentiment, however, no pilot group has a leg to stand on, no negotiating power. Sure, the DAL pilots could strike, but that would probably be the end of the airline, at least as we know it. Look at those airlines that went before DAL, ie U, UAL, there were a bit of blustering rehetoric and then they folded. In the case of U, there was dissension even within UALPA.

64% of the NWA pilots agreed to interim concession, hopefully they will get a bit better than what the company is offering, but I doubt very much. The NWA pilots are known to be the hard ball players, yet, I doubt they will walk, nor do I think it would make sense. There is a reason, why the company proposal is so draconian at NWA. Anything better than that, will be viewed as a blessing by the pilots, so they will take it, they migth be upset, but they will agree, considering the alternative.

Management is well aware, that they have the pilots by the short and curlies, so why on earth should they negotiate a better deal? Oh, they might relent a little, simply so that the union can say, and the pilots will think, they managed to get a little back, but it won't be much. In the case of U, managements offer actually kept getting worse, untill the pilots capitulated.

Had pilots showed strength from the beginning, it might have been different, but that would have required the pilots at U to walk, they didn't, so now management at all airlines are lining up the dominoes and watching them fall.

Last edited:
eljefe said:
Talk about deja vu all over again! This thread rings soooooo familiar.

If I'd saved the the threads from the ALPA bulletin board circa 1988/89, this would sound like an instant replay. Only the paint job and the names have changed.

Good luck to the Delta guys. You're going to need it. My only advice is if the situation is grim enough to you personally to hit the bricks...do so with the full knowledge that you may never come back through that door.

Or 1983

Latest resources

Back