Delta: Pilots' Strike Is 'Murder-Suicide'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since you mentioned it.

I wasn't thinking of SWA. I was thinking of Jet Blue, Air Tran, Spirit, etc. But since you mention it $190/hr is not much more than the $175/hr for the top Captain at UAL. Or much more than the USA Jet top Captain of $175/hr. But the $250/hr is a thing of the past in the pax flying business. This is still a great career where else can a high scholl grad pretty well plan on making a $100K/yr by the time they are in their mid-30's

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
I wasn't thinking of SWA. I was thinking of Jet Blue, Air Tran, Spirit, etc. But since you mention it $190/hr is not much more than the $175/hr for the top Captain at UAL. Or much more than the USA Jet top Captain of $175/hr. But the $250/hr is a thing of the past in the pax flying business. This is still a great career where else can a high scholl grad pretty well plan on making a $100K/yr by the time they are in their mid-30's

This statement, rest assured, will upset some but, here it goes. Part of our problem is that high school grads are doing this job. How many high school grads are CPAs, Attorneys, CFPs or Doctors? High school grads lower the bar for the piloting profession. They have lower expectations than those with more education. We should make the requirements more stringent to enter this profession. A college degree does not make one smarter than another but, it is a hurdle required by most legitimate and respected professions. I plan on leaving this industry as I feel there is more out there for me to obtain professionally. Grade school kids can put together a more gramatically coherent post than the above. Fire away.

Last edited:
I doubt that there are any pilots without a college degree at Delta within the last twenty-five years, so how do you explain that?

A350 said:
Another observation......many young people got into aviation because it was a career. It has quickly become a job. When the supply of new recruits dwindles, we will get more labor traction.

A350
You don't need a cooter, to see the airline employment recruiter...United is hiring 1,000 stewardesses and stewardmen. It was in the news the other day.

ATR-DRIVR said:
I know several. Ex-PAA and Western.

I should'a been more exact. Don't know about the DAL/PAA guys but I flew for PAA without a degree and I am also a WAL guy, and yes, I failed to get a college education, so your probably correct. I was speaking to the Delta requirements during the past twenty-five years. For that matter, WAL,DAL,PAA,AA,TWA,UAL all pretty much required a college degree for the last twenty-five+ years. Might have been a few exceptions but they were darn few. I actually know a recently retired DAL 777 Capt. that ran away from home at age fouteen to work on a fishing boat out of Juneau, joined the AF and got his GED, flew for PNA out of SEA and when they merged with WAL in 1967 checked out as Capt. on the L188 when he was 23 years old and went on to be an excellent line check airman on just about all of the aircraft that he flew. College is great, but not a qualifier for airmanship, just for getting hired in the first place. I didn't make the rules, just tried to get around them!

800Dog said:
This statement, rest assured, will upset some but, here it goes. Part of our problem is that high school grads are doing this job. How many high school grads are CPAs, Attorneys, CFPs or Doctors? High school grads lower the bar for the piloting profession. They have lower expectations than those with more education. We should make the requirements more stringent to enter this profession. A college degree does not make one smarter than another but, it is a hurdle required by most legitimate and respected professions. I plan on leaving this industry as I feel there is more out there for me to obtain professionally. Grade school kids can put together a more gramatically coherent post than the above. Fire away.

Very true. But the Supreme Court in the landmark case of Griggs v Duke Power held that arbitrary requirements cause adverse impact. SO, why is it necessary for a pilot to have a college degree? Many senior pilots today do not! They can do the job. What is the bonafide reason for having a degree? That is what the courts will review.

I'm putting this out for serious discussion. If you guys want to bash me as happened in a recent discussion, I'm gone!

HR Diva

lostplnetairman said:
Very true. But the Supreme Court in the landmark case of Griggs v Duke Power held that arbitrary requirements cause adverse impact. SO, why is it necessary for a pilot to have a college degree? Many senior pilots today do not! They can do the job. What is the bonafide reason for having a degree? That is what the courts will review.

I'm putting this out for serious discussion. If you guys want to bash me as happened in a recent discussion, I'm gone!

HR Diva

Valid question. Why should a college degree be required to go to medical school, dental school, to become a CPA or CFP? College does not make one smarter. It is hurdle to clear when moving on to bigger and better things in life. If we want high school grads flying for airlines that is fine. Just don't expect a career as an airline pilot to be anything more than that of a bus driver, plumber, cop, car salesman etc. Nothing wrong with those jobs at all. Pilots just need to lower their expectations as far as pay is concerned. Best of luck to all.

It all comes down to this. We know there will be some pay cuts, but the rest of the gutting of the contract is ridiculous. We won't stand for it. This is not a grab bag. They already took $1 billion a year from us last December when Gerry said "do it once, do it right." We can give some more pay, and maybe some rules, but not everything, and not scope. It will be interesting.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back