Delta Pilots at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

Delta has extended the opportunity for furloughed Delta pilots to fly at the ASA division while continuing to hold their Delta seniority.

No interview, no sim ride to qualify, just temporary transfer to ASA. I understand the first pilots under this program are coming aboard Feb 1.

Welcome over to our side, enjoy the RJ and hopefully you will return to mainline equipment soon.

Anybody know if the Delta guys will be represented by the ASA MEC? Can they vote? Better yet, can we put them on the negotiating committee? What about our scope that says all pilots performing ASA flying will be on the ASA seniority list?

It is going to be a blast to see the culture shock as Delta pilots deal with ASA's crew scheduling... What a hoot

Oh and another thing - do you believe ALPA's Board of Directors is any closer to seeing "operational integration" now?

Last edited:
Prof,

Has this gone from the rumor column to the fact column? I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one excited about this move. I look forward to working with these pilots (some of whom I have flown with before), and am glad that we as a company are able to help them out. Hopefully it will serve as a bridge between our groups that will allow us to move toward being one company in the long run.

If this is indeed true, then welcome (or welcome back). I also extend the offer to help out any way I can.

FL000

They aren't furloughing out the bottom of ASA, are they? Not a flushback thing like Continental is doing? I hope not for the sake of the fellas at ASA. That can turn things into a clusterfu*k really quick.

Nope - no flush through. We don't have a lot of information on this, just a couple memos from Delta and a copy of thier job net posting.

Obviously the company has chosen to completely ignore the ASA contract and they did not have the decency to talk to our representatives before doing this.

It could be simply another case of ALPA / Delta MEC negotiating with Delta on deals which affect the pay and working conditions of pilots at ASA without our representation, or vote. I am pretty much sure that the Delta MEC was not as surprised as the ASA MEC was.

~~~^~~~ said:
It could be simply another case of ALPA / Delta MEC negotiating with Delta on deals which affect the pay and working conditions of pilots at ASA without our representation, or vote. [/B]

How in the world does any pilot coming onto the list below you affect your pay and working conditions?

On a related note, the information we got did not mention anything about bypassing the interview process, or starting in Feb. All it said was the furloughed guys would be eligable to apply without giving up their numbers. It also said that there wer 42 openings, but that they would be filled by the 100 presently in the pool.

I am sure that we will hear more details soon.

How in the world does any pilot coming onto the list below you affect your pay and working conditions?

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? The World may never know...

Well it affects the pay & working conditions of those junior to them. Before you say, who cares - let me remind you that the Delta MEC Chairman's objection to onelist was his concern about future ex-military pilots who could not be expected to fly an RJ. (Ok - its a weak arguement, I agree - but if the Delta MEC Chairman is more concerned about future Delta pilots than current pilots who are ALPA members flying Delta passengers...) Still I wonder - Do the ASA / Delta pilots pay dues? To which MEC?

The story behind the story is that Comair refused to hire these pilots and ASA was reluctant because their training budgets are already stretched and they did not want to train pilots just to lose them immediately on recall. They were worried abou the disruption when these pilots return to Delta en masse.

Some agreement was reached with management at the Connection level and by all rights the representative of labor to ASA management is the ASA MEC, not the Delta MEC. Again, it is another example of the Connection labor groups ALPA representatives being completely excluded from the process.

Last edited:
Man I'd love to see an ex-F-14 Deltoid hopping out of the Shoneymobile in Fayette-nam and doing a walkaround on a wheezing old EMB-120 at 5 in the morning! Getting all psyched about his 7 leg day! After a few months with 10 days off and the rest on one-hour call, that job at Home Depot won't look so bad. More money too!

Well Huck,

I think summed it up pretty well. The general sentiment on our board is that most guys are not going take the ASA route, for just the reasons you mentioned. I think most are taking this opportunity to start a business, go back to school, etc. I don't think that you will see too many "deltoids" doing the early show walkaround.

I still haven't decided what I would do if the furlough gets to me. I would love to go back to school (MBA), but I sure would miss flying. Hopefully I won't have to choose.

FDJ - you are an intelligent individual - why not try to get involved with your MEC and work to ensure nobody gets furloughed and Delta has the opportunity to operate the right sized equipment on every route?

By the way, were I still there I'd enjoy flying with any and all Delta guys - I was at ASA for the last Delta furlough, when you'd be waited on at the Auto Zone by a furloughed aviator.

FDJ - find you a flight school, a skydiving drop zone or something. I'd go nuts without it too.... Good luck and hope it doesn't get to you.

Latest resources

Back