Delta Pilot on Youtube

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Total BS.

I challenge you to copy and paste where TP said he would prefer to start over at bottom of DL instead of stay at EK.

No games, no insults...just the facts please.

fv

Here you go fv, top of page 4 of "Etihad info" thread in Foreign Carriers section. Read last paragraph. I want an apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoad
Typhoon I was just wondering, these Captains going back, 1 how old are they and 2, how far up the list are they at their respective airlines? I know the expat life can have its trials but hanging out here 350 from the bottom and 49 years old just isn't adding up when EY will make me a capt and prob wide body in a few years
Thoughts?

"I know one guy late 30s who left to go back to AA. He was probably there for 5-7 years before he came to EK. Another who is ex TWA is sticking it out here until he has to go back, but he will definitely go back when the last chance deadline hits. One ex NWA guy in his fifties left to go to UniCal as an F.O.

We've lost 12 guys a month for the last 3 months and that is likely to continue, if not accelerate. Many are American. Some of those are guys who came as DECs 7-10 years ago and are now retiring.

Captain on an A320 with the Etihad package looks enticing from where you sit, I can see that. But the reality of those night turn-arounds to the Sub-Continent are going to be a brutal wake up call to the reality of the flying we do. That type of flying takes years off your life.

I'm not saying don't do it, just be prepared for what it entails. It is always a personal decision based on what is best for you and your family. Only you can know what that is.

At 49 you'd realistically be stuck here for the rest of your career, or have to go DEC somewhere else. That option gets more and more difficult as you get into your fifties so by 58-60 your definitely stuck here. 15-16 years would be a long time to be in the desert.

Heck, even I think about going back to the bottom of DAL at age 48 just so I can be home more often. No longer any need to tick the widebody captain box so I'd be content in the right seat of a narrowbody.

TP"

Bye Bye---General Lee

Heck, even I think about going back to the bottom of DAL at age 48 just so I can be home more often.

Thinking about something and actually doing it are two very different things. Another case in point would be all those gummers who "think about" retiring at 62, but somehow don't.

Thinking about something and actually doing it are two very different things. Another case in point would be all those gummers who "think about" retiring at 62, but somehow don't.

Ike, TP is obviously leaving EK. Good ole fv dared me to find something stated by TP concerning him even considering going to the bottom of DL, and I FOUND IT. I expect an apology. He said prove it, and I did. TP also stated many expats will be returning, which opens some opportunities for guys like you. If you want to get out of your RJ rut, then apply to fly overseas. Come back when you get sick of China or the Sandpit, and the US Legacies will still be hiring.

And, TP says he is 48, he isn't a gummer. DL has learned the hard way that you don't hire everyone the same age, because then they all retire around the same time. As a 777 Capt, he would be considered easily for an interview I would bet, and he'd probably have no trouble in 717 FO school. But, he'd be closer to home, and see places he's been dreaming about for years, like Cleveland, Newark, and Little Rock.... With huge hiring, he'd be senior quick, and get back that QOL he's also been dreaming about.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Once again TOTAL BS and even in the face of black and white in front of you... You twist.

You said TP would "prefer to start at the bottom of DAL over being at EK"

He said, he said "heck". He "thought" about it...

That is why your fellow DAL pilot on here is embarrassed by you along with many others...your lack of factual detail...merely thoughts that exalt DAL over others.

Credibility check....again

fv

Once again TOTAL BS and even in the face of black and white in front of you... You twist.

That is why your fellow DAL pilot on here is embarrassed by you along with many others...your lack of factual detail...merely thoughts that exalt DAL over others.

fv

You plainly asked for proof, and I provided it, exactly. I didn't twist his words, he said he thinks about going to the bottom of the DL list for better QOL. Read it yourself. I won! Yeah!!!! Apology accepted. How funny you asked for something, saying total BS, and I gave you proof of what he posted. Classic!

Read it again, a few more times: :)

What you said:

"I challenge you to copy and paste where TP said he would prefer to start over at bottom of DL instead of stay at EK."

What he said:

"Heck, even I think about going back to the bottom of DAL at age 48 just so I can be home more often. No longer any need to tick the widebody captain box so I'd be content in the right seat of a narrowbody."

And then you had the audacity to end with this classic statement:

"No games, no insults...just the facts please."

I did. I win.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
It's all about age really, EK won't be any different than any other job abroad in the sense that guys that have many productive years in the business might be tempted to ride this upward swing (for however long it lasts) but guys that are at the 50 year old threshold will not, it just doesn't make any sense. Guys abroad won't be at their current gig until retirement (even if they really like it) just because they would like to experience something different, that is the advantage of the gigs abroad, you can take your experience and go for another DEC gig somewhere else. That is what TP did, because after all, he didn't take a job at DAL or any other carrier in the US, he went for one of those contracts that are popping up on the international market. If I were in my early 30's, sure, I'll give this upswing a try but at 50, it just doesn't make any sense, you will not rise to the financial nor professional level on the time you have left in the business.
I'm looking to bail out at 58, why on earth would I go to the bottom of the pile at any brand X carrier in the US? that would be ridiculous. A lot of people say and post a lot of things, at the end of the day, How many 50+ will leave their jobs abroad (EK or any other brand) to be at the bottom at AA, DAL, UCAL? I stand by my believe that not very many will....!

fv

You dared him, he did it, now you need to crawl to him fv. Type out a nice little apology or surrender your claim to the credibility high ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Expat life in Dubaidhabi can be a blast, especially if single. No old disgruntled cabin crew to deal with and a generally good sense of camaraderie lacking in the USA. But what does one do at 41? EK, EY, AA/DL/UA, or even carriers like Atlas?

Latest resources

Back