• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Different article.

German police stop Delta pilot on alcohol suspicion

March 03, 2005 08:02:32 (ET)

FRANKFURT, March 3 (Reuters) - German police detained a Delta Air Lines (DAL,Trade) pilot suspected of being drunk at Frankfurt airport just before he was due to make a flight to Atlanta, a spokeswoman for the airline said on Thursday.

The first officer, one of two co-pilots on the Monday flight, was taken to a Frankfurt police station and given a blood-alcohol test. A Frankfurt police spokesman confirmed the pilot was detained and said the test results were not yet known.

"One of the first officers of Delta flight 27 was detained by local law enforcement representatives in Germany because of alleged alcohol use," a spokeswoman for Delta in Munich said.

"Delta has removed the pilot from active service pending further investigation of this matter." She declined to provide any details about the pilot's name, age or nationality. She said the Feb. 28 flight, which was carrying 156 passengers to the southern U.S. city, was delayed slightly. The plane departed with a captain and just one first officer rather than two, she said. Police said the pilot was being investigated for possible charges of dangerous interference in air transport.

Another "Different" article.

FRANKFART, March 3 (Siegels) - German police detained a Delta Air Lines (DAL,Trade) pilot suspected of being drunk at Frankfurt airport just before he was due to make a flight to Atlanta, a spokeswoman for the airline said on Thursday.

The first officer, one of two co-pilots on the Monday flight, decided that he was above the rules and decided that he valued consuming alcohol more than he valued his career and source of income. He was taken to a Frankfurt police station and given a blood-alcohol test.

When interviewed about the alleged incident, one Delta pilot said "I knew pilots get arrested for this kind of thing all the time back in the states, but I didn't think it was such a big deal over in Europe. I figured that the first officer would be sober by the time the flight landed back in the US. I don't see what all the fuss is about."

Police said the pilot was being investigated for possible charges of flushing his career down the toilet.

RFO maybe?

Looks like one of the F/O's was the RFO (Relief First Officer) on the trip.

"The plane departed with a captain and just one first officer rather than two, she said."

Is there any exceptions in the FAR's that would allow a crew to dispatch on a flight over 8 hours with only 1 Captain and 1 F/O? I don't recall any but there might be a loophole.

I hope this guy passed his breathalizer.

P.S. - Nice cut and paste/edit Dave Siegel, you're an idiot.

Last edited:
I don't think it is very funny at all. It's easy to say someone in that position "did it to themselves", but most pilots I know also have families. . . . . If it turns out to be true, this guy will have forfeited his whole career.

Amazing how far you can fall in the space of one short day. . . .

Kind of amazing that this crew could have ridden all the way out from the hotel Mienz to the airport and no one raised any questions about their conduct? Lets wait and see what the tests showed before we jump on the guys for drinking beyond the time limits. Might be an error, or at least I hope so for their sake.

It generally does'nt take long to do the breath test. The fact that he did not make the flight does'nt look good.

Dave Siegel said:
Another "Different" article.

FRANKFART, March 3 (Siegels) - German police detained a Delta Air Lines (DAL,Trade) pilot suspected of being drunk at Frankfurt airport just before he was due to make a flight to Atlanta, a spokeswoman for the airline said on Thursday.

The first officer, one of two co-pilots on the Monday flight, decided that he was above the rules and decided that he valued consuming alcohol more than he valued his career and source of income. He was taken to a Frankfurt police station and given a blood-alcohol test.

When interviewed about the alleged incident, one Delta pilot said "I knew pilots get arrested for this kind of thing all the time back in the states, but I didn't think it was such a big deal over in Europe. I figured that the first officer would be sober by the time the flight landed back in the US. I don't see what all the fuss is about."

Police said the pilot was being investigated for possible charges of flushing his career down the toilet.

I see Dave Seigel is fresh out of hand lotion again!
Man you are a tool!

Well, good news if you can call it that, is if this is substantiated then one more furloughee hops back on the payroll.......

Latest resources

Back