• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T45Flyer

Fair and Balanced...
Posted By - Atlanta The Atlanta Business Chronicle

Last Updated On: 10/1/2010 3:51:08 PM
ATLANTA -- A decade ago, Joe Leonard approached Herb Kelleher to see if he might be interested in a merger of both their airlines.
At the time, Leonard was CEO of AirTran Airways Inc., and Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines, was CEO of the Dallas-based airline.
In all, Leonard talked to Kelleher four times about doing a deal. And then, when Kelleher stepped down as CEO, Leonard approached Jim Parker, the then-new CEO of Southwest, on two other occasions.
Each time, no deal.
Although a combination looked great on paper, Southwest was not ready to risk losing its culture and successful formula by acquiring another major discount carrier. Also, Southwest had been known to shun large hub airports, like Atlanta.
Then, on April 21 this year, Southwest's current CEO, Gary Kelly, called Bob Fornaro, who had succeeded Leonard as AirTran's CEO, and said: "Let's talk."
Conversations turned into negotiations, and on Sept. 27, the airlines announced Southwest will buy AirTran for $1.4 billion.
"Bob did this deal," Leonard said of Fornaro. "What I did was a failure. I didn't get it done in six attempts. But Bob's latest round of conversations with Southwest resulted in a merger." The announcement caught the industry by surprise. But probably the people who were most surprised were the executives of Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc.
Over the years, Delta has been extremely protective of its dominant position at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the largest in the world.
Time and time again, Delta worked hard behind the scenes to limit the competition flying into Hartsfield-Jackson. And there was no competitor Delta feared more than Southwest, the most successful airline in the country.
A former airline executive said Southwest is the toughest competitor there is. "You are talking about one of the premier airlines in the world," he said. "AirTran has been successful, but a relatively localized, low-cost carrier, not a powerhouse like Southwest."
It is no secret in Atlanta that Delta did everything it could to outmaneuver its competition.
When business leaders or airport executives would make a call on Southwest officials to see about it flying out of Atlanta, Delta officials would cry foul. How could Atlanta leaders turn their back on Delta, the airline that had grown with the city, and vice versa.
When it came to AirTran, Delta at first ignored the discount carrier, then it tried repeatedly to get it out of the way - unsuccessfully.
But sometimes Delta and AirTran would join forces.
In the recent lease negotiations between the airlines and Hartsfield-Jackson, Delta and AirTran worked together to "keep Southwest out" by making sure to limit the number of open gates available for the Dallas-based airline.
But by that time, Southwest had set its sights on Atlanta. The Southeast region of the country was a big hole in its national network, and there was no market more attractive for Southwest than Atlanta.
In the past 18 months, Southwest had even met with Federal Aviation Administration officials to explore coming to Atlanta. Given the lack of open gates at Hartsfield-Jackson, Southwest had few options - to help support a second passenger airport in Gwinnett County - or to acquire AirTran.
"Delta and AirTran used each other to get the best deal they could at the airport," said someone familiar with the negotiations. "But when Delta started throwing AirTran under the bus, AirTran had an alternative. AirTran had outsmarted Delta."
That said, Southwest probably held off buying AirTran until the Orlando, Fla.-based discount carrier had signed a new seven-year lease agreement with Hartsfield-Jackson, guaranteeing the use of at least 32 gates. That lease was signed Sept. 13, at a time when Southwest and AirTran were in intense negotiations.
"The real value was AirTran's lease at Hartsfield," said one industry observer. "AirTran would have never gotten $1.4 billion until they got that lease renewed."
Don Chapman, an AirTran director who was one of the original board members of predecessor ValuJet, credited his airline's executive team for being able to respond to all the competitive challenges it has faced.
"Personally, it's been part of the American dream, building a business where the management of AirTran, through good times and bad times, has taken care of its people, and its people have taken care of its passengers," Chapman said. "The people who worked so hard as members of the AirTran team are what we are proudest of as we reach this new milestone."

Last edited:
This may not be bad for Delta, because AirTran fares were limiting what Delta could charge on non-monopoly routes, and SWA manages to charge more than AirTran was able to, so Delta should have more room to raise fares. Also, SWA may bring in more connecting traffic for Int'l.

On the downside, SWA may add more more destinations and flight segments that compete with DAL.

As of June 30, 2010, the combined unrestricted cash and short-term investments of the two companies was $3.7 billion. Southwest Airlines intends to fund approximately $670 million in cash consideration for the transaction out of cash on hand. Since June 30, Southwest's cash and short-term investments balance has increased from $3.1 billion to $3.3 billion. In addition, Southwest Airlines has a fully available, unsecured revolving credit facility of $600 million.

That said, Southwest probably held off buying AirTran until the Orlando, Fla.-based discount carrier had signed a new seven-year lease agreement with Hartsfield-Jackson, guaranteeing the use of at least 32 gates. That lease was signed Sept. 13, at a time when Southwest and AirTran were in intense negotiations.
"The real value was AirTran's lease at Hartsfield," said one industry observer. "AirTran would have never gotten $1.4 billion until they got that lease renewed."

Immediate presence and opportunity for SWA to grow in the world's busiest airport. There is no way that they could have established this sort of presence without the purchase of AAI. Could be the perfect segue into international operations. SWA would eventually have to start funneling the passengers to a port of embarkation to grow the international routes.

Easiest $670 mil they could have spent. Equipment, gates, routes, aircraft throughout the system. SWA earlier projections for growth were not very significant for 2011. Now calls are going out to the poolies and there will be movement for SWA pilots. AAI will probably look at a stagnation until the fences come down. Pay will improve but that was going to improve to about 20-30% of SWA rates.

The improvements for the AAI pilots will be the INTANGIBLE things that make SWA pilots value their company. Good working relation with the management, a culture of working together, good morale and sense of team work. Those things can not be written into a contract. SWA pilots have been successful WITH the support of their management team. AAI pilots have been successful WITHOUT the support of the management team. SWA will gain professional, motivated, enthusiastic pilots that will be an asset from this AAI pilot group.

SWA (as a company) gains TANGIBLE assets that allow them to grow at a pace that would have been impossible to do without the purchase of AAI. Good luck to all and in a couple of years may we all look back at the next 18 months and smile.

Not mentioned in the article is the gates that will be leased in the new international terminal.

Delta is going to start an airline within an airline to compete with SWA. It's going much like SWA but with assigned seating. Any ideas what they'll call it?

Posted By - Atlanta The Atlanta Business Chronicle

Last Updated On: 10/1/2010 3:51:08 PM
ATLANTA -- A decade ago, Joe Leonard approached Herb Kelleher to see if he might be interested in a merger of both their airlines.
At the time, Leonard was CEO of AirTran Airways Inc., and Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines, was CEO of the Dallas-based airline.
In all, Leonard talked to Kelleher four times about doing a deal. And then, when Kelleher stepped down as CEO, Leonard approached Jim Parker, the then-new CEO of Southwest, on two other occasions.
Each time, no deal.
Although a combination looked great on paper, Southwest was not ready to risk losing its culture and successful formula by acquiring another major discount carrier. Also, Southwest had been known to shun large hub airports, like Atlanta.
Then, on April 21 this year, Southwest's current CEO, Gary Kelly, called Bob Fornaro, who had succeeded Leonard as AirTran's CEO, and said: "Let's talk."
Conversations turned into negotiations, and on Sept. 27, the airlines announced Southwest will buy AirTran for $1.4 billion.
"Bob did this deal," Leonard said of Fornaro. "What I did was a failure. I didn't get it done in six attempts. But Bob's latest round of conversations with Southwest resulted in a merger." The announcement caught the industry by surprise. But probably the people who were most surprised were the executives of Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc.
Over the years, Delta has been extremely protective of its dominant position at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the largest in the world.
Time and time again, Delta worked hard behind the scenes to limit the competition flying into Hartsfield-Jackson. And there was no competitor Delta feared more than Southwest, the most successful airline in the country.
A former airline executive said Southwest is the toughest competitor there is. "You are talking about one of the premier airlines in the world," he said. "AirTran has been successful, but a relatively localized, low-cost carrier, not a powerhouse like Southwest."
It is no secret in Atlanta that Delta did everything it could to outmaneuver its competition.
When business leaders or airport executives would make a call on Southwest officials to see about it flying out of Atlanta, Delta officials would cry foul. How could Atlanta leaders turn their back on Delta, the airline that had grown with the city, and vice versa.
When it came to AirTran, Delta at first ignored the discount carrier, then it tried repeatedly to get it out of the way - unsuccessfully.
But sometimes Delta and AirTran would join forces.
In the recent lease negotiations between the airlines and Hartsfield-Jackson, Delta and AirTran worked together to "keep Southwest out" by making sure to limit the number of open gates available for the Dallas-based airline.
But by that time, Southwest had set its sights on Atlanta. The Southeast region of the country was a big hole in its national network, and there was no market more attractive for Southwest than Atlanta.
In the past 18 months, Southwest had even met with Federal Aviation Administration officials to explore coming to Atlanta. Given the lack of open gates at Hartsfield-Jackson, Southwest had few options - to help support a second passenger airport in Gwinnett County - or to acquire AirTran.
"Delta and AirTran used each other to get the best deal they could at the airport," said someone familiar with the negotiations. "But when Delta started throwing AirTran under the bus, AirTran had an alternative. AirTran had outsmarted Delta."
Don Chapman, an AirTran director who was one of the original board members of predecessor ValuJet, credited his airline's executive team for being able to respond to all the competitive challenges it has faced.
"Personally, it's been part of the American dream, building a business where the management of AirTran, through good times and bad times, has taken care of its people, and its people have taken care of its passengers," Chapman said. "The people who worked so hard as members of the AirTran team are what we are proudest of as we reach this new milestone."

HEY BESTEST FRIENDS. I hope all of you are having a GRRRREAT day! Anyways, I don't think anyone really thought that Airtran wasn't going to get the gates they already had, or move anymore planes out of ATL. I know lately they have been trimming some flights in ATL in favor of adding more at MKE, but Delta and Airtran are the two largest operators in ATL by far, and the city knew that. The key thing I see here is that Delta and Airtran locked in for 7 years the number of gates they will use, and any other new gates that arise from BKs or airlines just leaving will be put up for bid, but as of now there are no other gates open until the newer INTL terminal opens up. Southwest may INVADE ATL, but will they leave the same cities they are flying to now from ATL? They may drop a few and add a few new cities, but nothing major. And, SWA's fares aren't always the lowest. Without the ability to gain a lot more gates, growth in ATL is somewhat frozen, and 25 minute turns have proven "difficult" in ATL anyway. They may try, and we'll see how that goes at the World's busiest airport.

I also think this is a good wakeup call for Delta, showing them they cannot just use RJs to compete with Airtran or Southwest, and many of the 50 seaters are on the way out now. Delta is also putting pressure on the people in GSO to increase the pace of the MD90 refurbishments (they started a second line of mx people to do just that), and those planes will be added to the mix sooner than later, to better compete with SWA and AT on certain routes. I think DL has 13 or 16 recently purchased MD90s in GSO waiting for that service.

Regardless my FANTASTIC PALS, you guys are AWE-SOME. YEAH YOU ARE, SAY IT! SAY IT! BTW, if you have time today, try to do something nice for someone, like giving a hobo a Wendy's burger and a tub of hand wipes. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

This isn't all bad news for DAL. Fares may increase a little and that will help revenue. LUV may lose some business customers that flew business class on AAI. I'm sure DAL will be more than happy to accommodate them.

One reason SWA will finally get to ATL, is because DAL suffocated AirTran just a little too much. They should've given them room to breathe. Keeping them alive to maintain their territory would've probably kept SWA at bay. Gary Kelly found the perfect opening and time. I can assure you, without this purchase SWA would've found it almost impossible to make any significant impact in ATL. Otherwise they would've been there long time ago. Don't take my word for it. Talk to the Jetblue folks and ask them how the ATL treatment went for them.

Now of course, DAL will have to compete with a bigger, financially stronger competitor. But like General said, it may be a wake up call for DAL to start using more suitable aircraft to compete. This could benefit those wanting to work for DAL in the future.

Last edited:
BTW, if you have time today, try to do something nice for someone, like giving a hobo a Wendy's burger and a tub of hand wipes. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

That was a wonderful idea GL! I went a step further though. I found some stray AAI pilots digging thru a dumpster outside a Popeyes in ATL. I approached slowly and let them smell my hand as they were a wary bunch. I regaled them with stories of VJA, room parties in MAF, and 1-2-3. I lured them into my limo and my driver took us to the compound at Lake Lanier. When we arrived, I plied them with enough Kool-Aid that I felt it was safe to remove their leashes and let them play awhile in the yard. I assigned each of them a number . . 5879, 5880, 5881, and so on. We learned games like Commute to OAK, Keep The Throttles on The Left, and Chase Craig Johnson. It was great fun to be able to help such needy souls. I could tell some didn't appreciate the condescension, but I'm confident they'll learn how my charity helps us all get along.

Sorry to keep it short, but I see some DAL bubbas in need of help.

THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION GENERAL LEE!

Latest resources

Back