Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Monster Buck

Go bigger or die trying!
Which to choose as new hire, if looking to commute to NYC from DTW and want to get as many days at home as soon as possible? IE... A line with max days off and commutable at least on one end the soonest. I don't have a pref of one ac or another, just the most days at home for the next few years, for family needs. Any new york new guys that can help? Thanks in advance!:)

Which to choose as new hire, if looking to commute to NYC from DTW and want to get as many days at home as soon as possible? IE... A line with max days off and commutable at least on one end the soonest. I don't have a pref of one ac or another, just the most days at home for the next few years, for family needs. Any new york new guys that can help? Thanks in advance!:)

You will be a lineholder sooner on the MD88. The trips won't be as interesting, but reserve-wise you will be off sooner, and you won't have to deal with 8 24 hour short call reserve days per month. The MD88 does fly out of all 3 NYC area airports, though, I believe. But, as a line holder, you can choose which trips you want. If you want QOL sooner, pick the MD88.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I was a June '07 hire, NYC MD88. I finished IOE mid-August and could have held a line by November (but bid reserve until December because I needed some specific days off.) As a line-holder, I've gotten no fewer than 16 days off with credit in the high 70s-low 80s. I doubt it will be such quick progression for someone starting now, but I think the MD is still your best bet for quickest return to decent QOL.

Currently, no trips begin or end in EWR so getting sent there would only be to cover a sick crewmember or otherwise broken trip. Most trips begin and end in LGA so a pad near that terminal would work out best, particularly for your commute from DTW.

Furthermore, I can't say enough positive things about the quality of captains I've flown with in NYC on the 88.

If I were to do it over again, I'd do it the same.

Good luck.

I don't want to sound like I am bragging but, I sat reserve for two months on the ER and then got a line. Moving pretty quickly but, as the other guy said I doubt it will be as fast for those coming on now.

For the 88 line holders, I've heard that the days you work and the days you are off might not be in blocks?

Meaning, might work two off one, work three off two, etc... vs working four or five then having three to four off making commuting a real chore. Is that correct?

I don't want to sound like I am bragging but, I sat reserve for two months on the ER and then got a line. Moving pretty quickly but, as the other guy said I doubt it will be as fast for those coming on now.

Why do you think that? I hope it stays good, I was at the interview just this week and they said there will definately be several hundred coming in behind us, easy. Most all going to the 76 and MD 88 NYC. Do you think thats cool aid? I don't know probably as good as you, since you are in the mix already but they seemed sincere. Either way I am happier than a puppy with two peters so it doesn't really matter!:D

Line holder on the 88 w/ in 2-4 months. No EWR originating trips. Take the 88, fly alot, learn the company and procedures. You get to be really proficient. Try for longer trips as a commuter. Seniority in NY occurs quickly. You'd be top 30 of 70 by 1-2 entitlements due to people bidding to the ER or ATL.

Line holder on the 767ER will be YEARS. Not a decent way to be a new hire.

I am a 2000 hire and camping on the 88 until I can hold the left seat again (passed it by a couple of bids ago; it went senior last AE). I love the schedules

Latest resources

Back