Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All interesting points.

Dubai has no oil.

One of the issue for countries that have open skies with EK - is that with the large countries that don't (Canada, Germany & India) - it induces EK to put their rapidly expanding fleet into existing markets. Whereas YVR, YYZ, YYC & YUL would be more attractive to Emirates in the near term than ORD, MIA & ATL by closing out the UAE it actually results in massive expansion in the US, UK & Oz markets.

ie The US majors are funding Air Canada's protectionism....and Open Skies with the US is here to stay because of massive Boeing orders.

If the US wants a level playing field they need to chat to their Northern neighbors.

fv

Open skies with the US means finding the correct city pairs, and it looks like DL and UAL will be contesting anything that isn't fair in their eyes, like the Italian 5th freedom rights. And just because you buy big planes from Boeing, doesn't mean you will get everything you want. EK can always change to Anatonov 124s if they want. As the article I posted stated, many smaller European markets to the US are flown by UAL 757s to EWR, because that is about the biggest plane that can make money on those city pairs. If EK can do it with 777-300ERs, that would be amazing.

It is also amazing that EK still orders A380s when France and Germany restrict the number of cities EK can go to. Why don't they dump the 380 orders? Antonovs are waiting to be built for EK I bet....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Double pay for qualified pilots? Probably. In India $15K per month is a lot of money. Maybe not in NYC, but in India, yes. I don't think many AAL or UAL 777 Capts based in NYC or EWR would leave their current jobs to take the Jet Etihad jobs. Nope. There will eventually be a global fight for pilots. There will be poaching from different airlines, and with 15,000 retiring from the big 3 here in the States, many expats flying overseas may think about coming back home. With that many retiring, getting on early in the wave will look very attractive to anyone.

Bye Bye---General Lee

$13,000 a month to fly a 777 as a CA international and probably gone 20 days? I make that as FO in 15 days flying to LBB in a corndog .

I wish more people were aware of that....and a lifestyle to boot....

The poo hasn't hit the fan with the 380's just yet...bear in mind Emirates as of now doesn't operate aircraft any older than 12-15yrs max...and the early 380's are hitting their half-life as we speak...all these greedy lessors who jumped on the chance to lease 380's to EK might just find themselves holding a large ramp full of white whales...expensive ones at that...remember half of all 380's ordered are for EK...and with western countries finally beginning to tap their own (very large) oil reserves...things might become very different here...

Last edited:
Pretty biased article. Many issues involved and worthy of a fight for DL and all Western carriers in my opinion. Is it right for a company to be "competitive" using ultra low wage third country nationals? Another state sponsoring the hoped for demise of local carriers? The end result would be to destroy the standard of living of the home country employees as their airlines try to compete with a state sponsored entity that uses low priced employees for various areas of the world.

Luckily the US carriers are profitable, the US is getting ready to turn off the Mideast oil spigot, and US carriers should soak up many of the world's available qualified pilots. A couple years ago this may have turned out differently when the US carriers were on their backs.

MWHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! So wait, other US companies don't us these people either? Where does Delta do a lot of their MX? In Hong Kong at HAECO? Yeah, they sure cost as much as engineers and mechanics in the US!!! Gravy!!!

box

MWHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! So wait, other US companies don't us these people either? Where does Delta do a lot of their MX? In Hong Kong at HAECO? Yeah, they sure cost as much as engineers and mechanics in the US!!! Gravy!!!

box

Box,

DL uses their own facilities most of the time. There may be some outside work, but DL does heavy MX work for a lot of other companies as well. The huge MX hanger in ATL always has a few interesting other paint schemes in there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Is it right for a company to be "competitive" using ultra low wage third country nationals?

Emirates pays the going wage in the US and every other country they fly to as do all US carriers.

I am sure Delta or United don't fly to Dubai and offer to pay the ground staff 5 times the going wage because you or anyone else thinks that it's the right thing to do. The same thing occurs in India and most of Asia and Africa.

Delta has 88 717's coming...everyone's argument is invalid.

Latest resources

Back