• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta merger:Anderson's style: Dream big act fast--artilce

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thanks for posting the article, GL. Aside from the sniping, I don't see much discussion either from DAL or NWA guys. It seems both sides either don't care or are expecting something to happen.

General, do you ever sit back and wonder why you spend most of your time trying to defend your childish behavior on this forum? You think you're a "debater", you're nothing but a cocky individual that does nothing other than elevate yourself on some ER pedestal you've invented. If you want to post some articles and give your opinion on said article, great...that's what this is all about. But, YOU bring on the personal aspect of things by constantly belittling others. YOU bring it on yourself, you're NOT a debater...you're a little boy in a schoolyard. That is all i have for you.....

It almost time for the "double breasted Horde" to trade in their uptight cooler than thou uniform for the NWA old school Shark Skin. Shark Skin and that 1950s charm, get ready......

and NWA's charming 50's aircraft (ok, 60's). I still have one of those Shark Skin unis. Has anything changed in the last 8 years or is it still the same? (just in case....you know, cheap pilot.)

Last edited:
General, do you ever sit back and wonder why you spend most of your time trying to defend your childish behavior on this forum? You think you're a "debater", you're nothing but a cocky individual that does nothing other than elevate yourself on some ER pedestal you've invented. If you want to post some articles and give your opinion on said article, great...that's what this is all about. But, YOU bring on the personal aspect of things by constantly belittling others. YOU bring it on yourself, you're NOT a debater...you're a little boy in a schoolyard. That is all i have for you.....

Why don't you butt-clowns jump on Pennekamp? HE started the mudslinging on this thread..yes the General bit...but had we not gotten 10034 "General you SUCK" responses, this thread might have been informative. Point the finger at yourselves too.

Negative DTFL....The general is by far the worst. BTW, i have only posted a couple of anti-Gen comments b/c i see him on here ALL THE TIME making ALL DELTA PILOTS LOOK BAD and sometimes i just can't take his B.S. without calling him out. He's a cocky know-it-all type and anyone that supports his B.S. is just as bad.

Honestly, why don't you bring something to the table here? Why can't you spark debate on an aviation topic instead of trying to cut me down, which cannot happen anyway? You would think you might learn by now. You probably never will, and I honestly do not care anyway. You are a waste of my time, and now on ignore.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The street seems to think that a merger will cause a reduction in flying at both airlines. It is a short term gain but that is what a merger of this sort is for. It will be messy and i will probably see friends furloughed.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - AirTran Holdings Inc. would likely benefit from a Northwest-Delta merger, which would trim excess domestic capacity, reduce competition and open up time slots to some of the nation's busiest airports, the low-cost carrier's chief financial officer said on Tuesday.

In an interview with MarketWatch, CFO Stanley Gadek said Northwest and Delta are currently the No.1 and No. 3 airlines for route coverage between the markets AirTran serves.
A tie-up between the two would give the post-merger company a lot of overlapping routes to consolidate, reducing the number of seats while firming up airfares, and giving AirTran the opportunity to pick up some of their former customers.

Additionally, Justice Department trustbusters would likely require the new company to give up a number of its gates and time slots at major airports such as New York's LaGuardia and Washington's Reagan International, Gadek said.
"It wouldn't all come to us, obviously, but we could get some benefit from that and from reduced capacity," he said.
As for AirTran, the carrier isn't currently interested in consolidating, Gadek added.
Earlier Tuesday, AirTran reported that it narrowed its fourth-quarter loss to 2 cents a share, or breakeven after stripping out certain one-time charges.
Bookings have so far been solid in the first quarter, and the company anticipates a swing to profitability before year's end, Gadek said. See full story.
greendot.gif

Christopher Hinton is a reporter for MarketWatch based in New York.

The street seems to think that a merger will cause a reduction in flying at both airlines. It is a short term gain but that is what a merger of this sort is for. It will be messy and i will probably see friends furloughed.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - AirTran Holdings Inc. would likely benefit from a Northwest-Delta merger, which would trim excess domestic capacity, reduce competition and open up time slots to some of the nation's busiest airports, the low-cost carrier's chief financial officer said on Tuesday.

In an interview with MarketWatch, CFO Stanley Gadek said Northwest and Delta are currently the No.1 and No. 3 airlines for route coverage between the markets AirTran serves.
A tie-up between the two would give the post-merger company a lot of overlapping routes to consolidate, reducing the number of seats while firming up airfares, and giving AirTran the opportunity to pick up some of their former customers.

Additionally, Justice Department trustbusters would likely require the new company to give up a number of its gates and time slots at major airports such as New York's LaGuardia and Washington's Reagan International, Gadek said.
"It wouldn't all come to us, obviously, but we could get some benefit from that and from reduced capacity," he said.
As for AirTran, the carrier isn't currently interested in consolidating, Gadek added.
Earlier Tuesday, AirTran reported that it narrowed its fourth-quarter loss to 2 cents a share, or breakeven after stripping out certain one-time charges.
Bookings have so far been solid in the first quarter, and the company anticipates a swing to profitability before year's end, Gadek said. See full story.
greendot.gif

Christopher Hinton is a reporter for MarketWatch based in New York.

I don't think you would see capacity reduced in this merger. There aren't many overlaping routes to cut. Reducing gates at LGA and DCA would be pointless because your serving the same destinations as the two carriers once did. You would still have pricing power without cutting routes. Reduce redundant management and support positions while maintaining or increasing the size of the merged carrier. The best way for them to put the opposition to rest would be to simultaneously announce there will be no hubs vacated, place an aircraft order (318s to replace -9s and RJs), and an expansion to fill holes in the route network.

The point of the a merger, in my opinion, would be to aquire the size and revenue streams to make it a fierce competitor. Use international revenue to fight the competition in the domestic market. I don't think the point would be to trim the size and have a momentary glimpse of pricing power only to see capacity replaced by low cost carriers. They want to change the airline landscape to achieve profitability over the long term.

It is funny. Every Wall Street article says reduction in overlapping routes to decrease capacity and increase ticket prices. Every pilot at these airlines is sure this will not happen. I really wish you guys the best of luck, but you are going to need it.

Latest resources

Back