Delta MD-11s coming out of the desert?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

A pilot friend of mine at Delta called me and said there is a RUMOR going around the check airman circles that Delta may be taking the remaining MD-11s out of the desert--maybe for next Summer or Spring. Who knows, maybe they will be used by Song for high-density flights between Newark and Orlando/Ft. Liquordale?

Probably the ATL-NRT flying. It was going to get converted over to 777 by Jan1.

Since DAL only has a hand full of 777's they don't have many extra's to spare. Taking a 777 off of an existing high yeild route only to replace it with a 767 may not make sense. Especially when the MD11 is currently doing a sufficient job.

G4G5,

I just asked my friend about the 777s used for NRT and he said that even with 36 777 Captain retirements on Sept. 1st (out of about 65 total), Delta was not worried because it had already planned for 2 777s (out of 8 total 777s) to be out of service during September and October due to installation of crew-rest facilities for the ATL-NRT service starting January 1, 2004. So, the MD-11s would not be flying that service after January 1st. So, if this rumor is true, the MD-11s would be flying in the Spring after these 777 modifications are made - they would be used on other routes - possibly high-density Song routes... Could be interesting if true!

Last edited:
Or DAL could save the cash and not install the rest area's and not put the 777's down.

They could continue to use the MD11's on the Asia route. Remember that taking a 777 and puting it on the ATL-NRT route means that they are removing it from another pre-existing high yeild 777 route. Only to replace it with the 767.

A few pilots is the least of their problems. They lose the yeild on the current 777 route when it gets converted to a 767 in Jan and they lose the yeild on that same route because of lost aircraft down time due to the addition of the rest area.

AA had this problem. Then what happens when one of your Asia only 777's (only two with the modified crew bunk) goes in for maintenance or has a mechanical at the gate? You can't swap in one of your other aircraft because it's not legal because of the rest area. You cancel the trip. Leaving hundreds of people stuck in ATL. It's not like SFO or LAX. You cancel a 777 full of folks in ATL and you have a big problem.

It's a whole lot simple to just keep using the MD11, if the current market can justify it.

First off, there will be 3 777's with the crew rest facilities. One alread has the "Condo" installed. The other two need to be modified. You need 3 to operate the service. Two flying, and one in Mx as needed.

The MD-11's that they use now have a tough time operating the NRT service. They are load limited with all the fuel that they have to carry. Even at that, they often have to stop in PDX and get gas before coasting out. The 777's will less load limited and will not have the problem with needing to stop for gas.

So, Delta will convert the NRT service to the 777 as planned. They've wanted to for a long while.

Now, as for the MD-11 coming back in numbers, who knows?? I don't think they'd want to, it is a small fleet type, and expensive to operate. At last check, I thought they still had one or two 767-400's in the desert. I'd look for those to some back well before the MD-11's.

I think they could take the remaining ones out of the desert for next Summer's Europe service---we really needed them for this year's Summer service, but someone in ATL was being overly cautious after the war, probably for good reason. We only sold a couple I believe to World Airways, and I believe the others could be up for sale, (To UPS and Fedex), but I have heard they wanted them for cheap. We still have 3 in service now, and we still have the sims and the current program. Who knows?

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Do you think they might consider selling some of them to AirTran?

I think I'd look pretty good in one of those MD11's.

Ty,

I know you'd look pretty good in one of those. When we start hiring again in a few years, if you're still a nice guy I will try to get you an interview.:D

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:;)

Ty Webb said:
Do you think they might consider selling some of them to AirTran?

I think I'd look pretty good in one of those MD11's.

We probably would, we did with Valujet (DC-9's).

Those (Delta's) were some of the best flying DC9's we had.

Latest resources

Back