Delta looks to retired pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
They aren't adding any new PRPs. They want to extend the program from Dec 31st to July 1st, 06. Some of the 200 plus PRPs will be gone by then anyway, and apparently they need fewer of the 767DOM and ER PRPs. Right now they primarily need them on the 777 and 767-400 INTL fleets. I think they will extend it a few months, but not until July of next year. The reason for the program was to give them a one time extension because we only gave them 24 hours notice to retire. We have given them 6 or more months to train people to replace them. That really is long enough. There was another no furlough clause attached while this program was in effect. The people really losing out here are the furloughed pilots awaiting recall.

As far as someone getting bumped from the 767, that is true in some respect because if the PRPs would leave, that might allow him/her to stay on the equipment. He/she was bumped because we displaced the pilots off of the 737-200s and 737-300s on this last bid. Without the PRPs, some could have stayed on their equipment. They will be gone eventually, though---they already have their retirement. The IRS is watching.

Bye Bye--General Lee

FYI Everone who held the 767 in my class just got displaced to smaller equipment on this last bid. PRPs need to go. There is even a rumor of furloughs starting back up with the PRPs on the property. The judge may say the PRPs can stay while DAL furloughs its young...but there is a name for a person who would stay as a PRP while this went on: &%$&. Simple as that.

jester757 said:
FYI Everone who held the 767 in my class just got displaced to smaller equipment on this last bid. PRPs need to go. There is even a rumor of furloughs starting back up with the PRPs on the property. The judge may say the PRPs can stay while DAL furloughs its young...but there is a name for a person who would stay as a PRP while this went on: &%$&. Simple as that.

Don't blame you for being pissed but whose fault is this anyway? You seem to be blaming the PRPs while you should direct your disgust and anger at the incompetent management and their stooges that set this in motion. I suppose ALPA holds no responsibility for this crap either? So, if tomorrow they got rid of everyone of these guys, would it make a positive difference? I ask because I really don't know. Seems like everything would slow down even further and they might actually furlough until they could catch up?? Unfortunetly you are saddled with some decision makers that just can't get it right no matter what the consequences are. Good luck!

michael707767 said:
For the record, they don't want to add more PRPs they want to extend the length of time some of the current PRPs can stick around. Especially in the 777 and 765 categories.

What a PERFECT opportunity for every PRP to get together and re-negotiate their hourly rate.

You want us to stay??? He's what it's gonna cost. I'd be all over that.

ultrarunner said:
What a PERFECT opportunity for every PRP to get together and re-negotiate their hourly rate.

You want us to stay??? He's what it's gonna cost. I'd be all over that.
Create a "PRP-ALPA" division??
Are those guys even paying dues??

Spooky 1 said:
Don't blame you for being pissed but whose fault is this anyway? You seem to be blaming the PRPs while you should direct your disgust and anger at the incompetent management and their stooges that set this in motion. I suppose ALPA holds no responsibility for this crap either? So, if tomorrow they got rid of everyone of these guys, would it make a positive difference? I ask because I really don't know. Seems like everything would slow down even further and they might actually furlough until they could catch up?? Unfortunetly you are saddled with some decision makers that just can't get it right no matter what the consequences are. Good luck!

You really can blame the PRPs. They were the senior guys that wanted 24 hour notice for retirement in the contract. They got it, and now they are still around. The company had no way to tell if people were going to retire or not (until just recently), and couldn't put out bids for people that may or may not go. This was all about the 24 hours notice to retire. It is impossible to plan for when the company really had no clue how many would retire. Parking planes was not the answer either. But, the company needs to get off their arses and train some replacements. They have had enough time already. And, I don't think they will furlough anymore, because that is part of the original agreement. I think the judge would ask Delta what has been taking so long also. They will all GO eventually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
They were the senior guys that wanted 24 hour notice for retirement in the contract. They got it, and now they are still around. The company had no way to tell if people were going to retire or not (until just recently), and couldn't put out bids for people that may or may not go. This was all about the 24 hours notice to retire.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well, this is what happens when there is NO FRIGGIN' trust in the people in corner offices at the GO. Now everyone is paying the price for that lack of trust. They are a bunch of carpetbaggers.

No relationship works without trust whether it's your family, the country, or the people you work for. That's why Delta is doomed to mediocrity from now on.

Interesting how one thinks that this ship will stay afloat. There was a book once upon a time called something like From Good to Great. I think that creep Leo Mullin had all of his managers read it. At any rate in the book, the author interviews Jim Stockdale, the ranking POW during Vietnam. He asks why he, Stockdale survived when any number of excellent men did not. His answer was that many of these men constantly thought things would get better. They would be released by Christmas, and when that didn't happen, by Easter, or some other date. They were constantly being given hope only to have it dashed by the reality of their hopeless situation. Where as Stockdale realized, or at least believed that nothing was going to get better, and as a matter of fact probably get much worse. Consequently he was never disapointed in how things turned out and that enabled him to endure the hardships of reality. They have since coined a term for this mind set. It's called the Stockdale Parallax. Well unfortunetly I am afraid some of our current guys like the General are going down this same path. Delta is doomed to a long and painful recovery, if that. They will never be a significant player in the world airline industry again as long as they keep the same mangagement team and leadership in place. Good riddance to all those low life Bastards! Meet them in a dark alley. F#@k, I would like to meet anyone them in broad day light so they could see it coming straight on.

Last edited:
General Lee said:
You really can blame the PRPs. They were the senior guys that wanted 24 hour notice for retirement in the contract. They got it, and now they are still around. ...

Bye Bye--General Lee
Oh, that's priceless. If they were to blame, why did you vote for PRPs?

The problem was not senior guys. The problem was not 24 hour notice. The problem was the lack of confidence they had in Delta having a retirement program tomorrow. The only reason many would have exercised a 24-hour option to retire was the doubt that retirement would be available in 25 hours. The solution to that problem was for Delta to restore confidence in the pilots that they would not be dumping the retirement program. Well, now you're in bankruptcy, and now they're skipping payments on the pension fund. Wow. Big surprise. The only surprise is that it's taken this long to get to that point.

There's no excuse for needing PRPs any longer. Remember, the IRS is watching. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back