• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8n

December 28th, 2005

Dear Fellow Pilot,

Today, at 3 p.m. EST, the balloting for the Letter of Agreement #50 interim agreement closed. Eighty-six percent of the Delta pilots returned ballots. Of those, 58%, a majority, voted to ratify Letter of Agreement #50. In accordance with the timeline of Letter 50, here's a summary of what you can expect in the next few months.
The Association and management are now required to commit their resources and representatives to seek a comprehensive agreement. That is the primary goal of Letter 50. During the course of negotiations, both parties are required to seek a consensual comprehensive agreement which includes:
  • Terms and conditions that would be implemented if the pilot defined benefit pension plan is terminated, and
  • Terms regarding profit sharing and the sharing of equity when the Company reorganizes. Equity discussions will acknowledge the Letter 46 concessions.
While Letter 50 is not a panacea for the struggles we face, with your vote, you have forced management to acknowledge these crucial items. They must now address these issues in relation to any agreement we ultimately obtain.
The time limits for reaching a comprehensive agreement are as follows:
  • Tentative agreement by the Negotiating Committees by 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on March 1, 2006;
  • Ratification by the MEC by 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on March 8, 2006; and
  • Ratification by the pilots by 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on March 22, 2006.
Should our Negotiating Committee be unable to reach a Tentative Agreement with management, or if either of the other two deadlines pass without ratification, the Association and management will submit the 1113 motion to a third party neutral panel. The details of this panel are contained in Letter 50, which is available as a link from the main page of the www.deltapilots.org website.
While I am hopeful that an agreement can be obtained, a decision by the neutral panel on the question of contract rejection is still a real possibility. Our position on a rejected contract has not changed. We will not work willingly without a contract. Soon after I assumed the duties as the MEC Chairman in October, we began to lay the groundwork for the Strike Preparedness Committee. Those efforts continue as I write this letter. On December 8th, in a unanimous show of unity, the MEC authorized me to issue a strike ballot, leaving the timing of that ballot to my discretion. I'll issue the ballot at a time most beneficial to our strategy, and I am confident that the ballot will pass. We hold to the premise that, in the event our contract is rejected, we have a right to self-help. We will lawfully and vigorously oppose any attempt to interfere with that right.
Regardless of how events play out, we will all have much to accomplish during the next few months. The operational tempo of our efforts will increase dramatically. Your union will call on you to step forward in ways both large and small. When that happens, we will need you to respond. Our unity will be both our sword and our shield. Fraternally,

Captain Lee Moak, Chairman
Delta MEC

I don't even know why we bother having votes like this in this industry. Mis-management knows they have us by the balls and that they will pass. If they don't, they will just blackmail us with "we will shut down" bull $hit all the while packing up the golden parachute. Ba$tards!!!

capt. megadeth said:
I don't even know why we bother having votes like this in this industry. Mis-management knows they have us by the balls and that they will pass. If they don't, they will just blackmail us with "we will shut down" bull $hit all the while packing up the golden parachute. Ba$tards!!!

Hey Beth, tell us what you really think!

psysix said:
Hey Beth, tell us what you really think!

Why do you have to use names? WTF is up with that?

Beth doesn't come on this site. She's not a loser like us.

you delta guys are as bad as mesa, grow a sack. wait... too late. jesus, this vietnam era old man crap sucks. thank god you guys were not around for wwii, we would of all been fvcked. nice mainlie now is running to the bottom. if you guys want to come dry-wall my basement for 5$ an hour give me a call. yellow fags..........

mnalpha said:
you delta guys are as bad as mesa, grow a sack. wait... too late. jesus, this vietnam era old man crap sucks. thank god you guys were not around for wwii, we would of all been fvcked. nice mainlie now is running to the bottom. if you guys want to come dry-wall my basement for 5$ an hour give me a call. yellow fags..........

What the heck does this mean? Oh yeah you're an idiot.

The DAL pilots were in a tough position, give up another 14% or walk away and start over again. When the compnay is CH11, it's a coin-toss to decide which way to go on this one. On the one hand they already gave up 32% last year. On the other hand, the financial situation is different this year due to mgmt's mis-mangement... so they have to pony up something to make the "new DELTA" work.

The next 3 months will tell whether this was the right move. If they give up too much to avoid a 1113c then they folded like everyone else. If they hold their ground on scope, retirement and work rules then it was all worth it. I think you DAL pilots should DEMAND a SIGNIFICANT equity stake in the reorganized company so you can get paid on the back end, ala UAL mgmt.

Good Luck. And sharpen up that Strike Prep Committee.

Last edited:
Bankruptcy sucks. DL guys do not deserve blame, it is the regulatory environment and the politically based permissiveness towards abrogating our labor agreements that deserves our scrutiny.

Now, if only we were TWU....

Latest resources

Back