Delta lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They passed the Delta psychotic test with flying colors though

If they ask you what's the first thing that pops in your mind, don't say Elephants running down the mountains.

You can say whatever you wish if you have that "special" look. Very easy to get that big job if they can legally discriminate against all those who don't look so "special."

jeal·ous (jls)
adj.
1. Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position.
a. Resentful or bitter in rivalry; envious: jealous of the success of others.
b. Inclined to suspect rivalry.
3. Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy, apprehension, or bitterness: jealous thoughts.
4. Vigilant in guarding something: We are jealous of our good name.
5. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous God.

I have not heard this. It's no secret that the competitive minimums were lower for females, but as far as I know, everyone hired met the required minimums except some of the Compass pilots without degrees.

SO they hired someone below their published mins or there were hundreds of RJ captains in Newnan who thought they deserve the job more? They can hire whoever they want.

It's all in the numbers, thats how you could prove or disprove discrimination. Of course any company has the right to hire or not hire anyone, but if you can prove it mathematically over a large population, then you might have something.

Lets try an example. I'm completely making these numbers up, but I'd say they sound reasonable. The breakdown between non-special/special pilots is probably 80%/20% for all commercial and ATP pilots currently in the US. It would be reasonable to assume that of their applicants, DAL has the same breakdown.

Now, what are the numbers Delta is currently hiring? I'd GUESS that they hire 75% of all special pilots who apply, and maybe 25% of all non-special pilots. That in itself is blatant discrimination. However, even if they hire 50%/50% the non-special pilots are still screwed! Lets say there are 1000 total applicants. 800 are non special, 200 are special. The company hires 100 total people, of which 50 are special and 50 are not special. That would mean of special applicants, 25% got the job, while 6.25% of non-special applicants got the job.

I'm not saying DAL or anyone should hire specific percentages of people, thats even worse. But I would be really interested to see the actual numbers here. I'm sure their HR department has them.

No. They were very clever about that. The published minimums say nothing about PIC time yet the competitive minimum has always been at least 1000 hours.

This is not about jealousy. It is about an out of date policy not based on performance, but quotas. It is about lowering standards, published or not to enable one group of individuals an unfair advantage over another. There is a difference between jealousy and ethics. Besides I'm too old to go to Delta and they don't want me anyway.

http://www.eturbonews.com/9214/black-leaders-unhappy-about-delta-air-lines-diversity

"Delta can hire whoever they want"

That didn't work so well for Coca Cola a few years back.

Who does the NBA hire? Don't they hire SOLELY based on performance and qualifications? Don't they hire the people who can perform that job with the greatest amount of skill and proficiency? Affirmative action supporters don't seem to have a problem with that. If somebody runs to the DOJ and files a lawsuit because the NBA doesn't represent all ethnic groups, they would be laughed out of court! Would you want to watch a game made up by an equal "diversity" of all ethnic groups? Then WHY would you get on a plane that was flown by a diverse group?

In an industry where it is of utmost importance that the most qualified individuals get hired, do we really want this? I'm surprised some news outlet hasn't hopped on this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back