• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta JFK 8/14/10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't quite make out the marshal's hand signals, but as soon as he puts his hands down and walks toward the tug, the captain gives it the gas!

I can't quite make out the marshal's hand signals, but as soon as he puts his hands down and walks toward the tug, the captain gives it the gas!

He didn't "give it the gas". He wrongly for whatever reason released the parking brake. The 80,000 lb tug is supposed to be hooked up to the nose gear at that point and pull it in. Unfortunately the tow bar was not secure yet and the residual thrust (the -400 has A LOT of residual thrust at idle) pushed the unmanned tug like a toy.

Luckily the ramper at the nose gear wasn't killed.

Wow, so SOP's are that the person hooking up the tow bar bets his life every time that the parking brake won't get released on purpose or otherwise.... Yikes...

What's the reason to leave 'em running during the hook up?

At any airline I have ever been at, we normally stop for a tow in; it is brakes set, and when the ramp hooks up the headset we confirm brakes set and shut down the engines. The hook up and then we release the brakes for our two in to a tight gate. Brakes sent pax go on their way. (APU on)

Last edited:
I will say that rampers should always install a chock on the nose wheel when they bring a tow bar up to the nose wheel or are disconnecting. It is this way at every airline I know of.

I'm hoping the rampers gave the, "******************** it, the tug don't work, powers yo' own azzes into the mother********************in' gate, fo shizzle." signal.

At any airline I have ever been at, we normally stop for a tow in; it is brakes set, and when the ramp hooks up the headset we confirm brakes set and shut down the engines. The hook up and then we release the brakes for our two in to a tight gate. Brakes sent pax go on their way. (APU on)

I agree. However that doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously the engines were running.

I don't understand the brake release when there was obviously nobody in the tug to inform the Captain to release his brakes over the headset.

Thoughts?

I'm hoping the rampers gave the, "******************** it, the tug don't work, powers yo' own azzes into the mother********************in' gate, fo shizzle." signal.
I got a good laugh out of this one. A tip of the cap to you Mr Pisano. Also it is quite obvious this video is fake.

Latest resources

Back