• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mach increases with altitude because the speed of sound decreases with decreasing density.

737Pylt:

This thread is intended to help people interested in getting on board at Delta with positive information. I think everyone is bored to death with an arguement that started in 1999. If you want to keep it going, PM me. But for the record - you won. There are 10 DCI carriers in our only hub and ASA is positioned to be replaced by non-ALPA pilots. All the destruction we saw coming is now a fact and soon to be a footnote in history. It is a shame. But at least I participated in an effort to try to save our airline and by extension a small part of the profession. I continue to believe "inclusive scope" which would result in all Delta flying being performed by Delta pilots (who would be junior to you) is the right direction - but - now that non-ALPA pilots perform most of the 49% of Delta flying done by subcontractors it will probably never happen. You won, you won, you won. How many times must I repeat the same drivel before you accept, you won? Those who wanted an inclusive union, lost. The indians will take back the West before small jet pilots can try to attain scope that would protect their jobs and raise the floor of this profession.

Again, this thread is to try to help people who are trying to get on board with a great airline. Will you contribute anything? You have experience we don't have.

Ya know Fins....I almost bit on this one...... I re-read ALLLLLLL of your past quotes and you had some interesting words for us Delta pilots and now you wanna be one........I had some real compassion for ya until I did the research of what you've said about us before.......This is not a question of win or lose, just admit you were WRONG..... When (and you most certainly will) you make your way over to this side of the fence your myopic RJDC vision will become much clearer....

I really don't like wafflers and hypocrites, but welcome if you get here, at least you're not a Comair guy......

This is from “Ace the Technical Pilot Interview” pg. 123

“Mach is a calculation of the true airspeed (TAS) relative to the local speed of sound (LSS – I’ll call it speed of sound here). Or, Mach is a percentage of the speed of sound. For example half the speed of sound would be .50m

As temperature decreases (during a climb) the speed of sound decreases.

If the speed of sound decreases during a constant (true) speed climb, then the mach number must rise.”

My company’s’ profile on the CRJ is to climb at 290IAS until we reach .70mach around FL250. In the summer months the 200 usually wimps out at about .65 so we have to get up to about FL270 before achieving .70. So, if you think about it, mach number is increasing during the climb out.

For those of you who get off on formulas: MN = TAS / LSS

Hope this helps everyone. Personally, all this math is hurting my brain. Best wishes to all!!

Hey guys, resurecting an old post (sorry). I have an interview coming up and I am still a bit confused about some of these problems.

Regarding the question about holdong east on the 090 radial. The question asks what the bearing pointer is pointing to before you turn inbound. My interpretation is that if your are on the 090 radial, your bearing is pointing to 270 regardless of wind correction angle. Am I totally wrong on that?

Also, there seem to be a number of questions from the gouge dealing with decent rates and wind correction angles that do not have any speeds. Does the test have similar questions with no speeds, or is that just one of the inconsistencies of the gouge?

Thanks for everyones' info. It has been very helpful.

So does mach increase or decrease with altitude? I thought that it decreased because if you are going mach 1 at 1000 feet you are going much faster than if you are going mach 1 at 36,000 feet. Why are the fellas on the gouge saying mach increases with altitude? TAS is greater with altitude and the speed of sound is lower so are they saying that mach NUMBER increases with altitude even though actual mach decreases?

I think they mean that for a given IAS your mach will increase with altitude. So if you maintain 320knots indicated at 1000 feet and 320knots indicated at 37,000 your mach will be higher.

I'd like to know how people interviewing at Delta don't know this. There are three different speeds you're interested in:

CAS (IAS more or less)
TAS
Mach number

For a given CAS, an increase in altitude yields both an increase in TAS and Mach number. If you fly a constant Mach number, an increase in altitude yields a decrease in TAS.

Last edited:
Hey guys, resurecting an old post (sorry). I have an interview coming up and I am still a bit confused about some of these problems.

Regarding the question about holdong east on the 090 radial. The question asks what the bearing pointer is pointing to before you turn inbound. My interpretation is that if your are on the 090 radial, your bearing is pointing to 270 regardless of wind correction angle. Am I totally wrong on that?

Also, there seem to be a number of questions from the gouge dealing with decent rates and wind correction angles that do not have any speeds. Does the test have similar questions with no speeds, or is that just one of the inconsistencies of the gouge?

Thanks for everyones' info. It has been very helpful.

I haven't been studying the Delta gouge but I think that the question says before turning inbound. I'm sure there is some formula to figure it out based on being 25 miles or so out getting ready to turn inbound. If you were doing a right hand pattern, it should be pointing maybe 265-260 before you turn inbound to join the 090 inbound to 20 DME?

I guess that now I'm as curious as you. :)

I guess that is one of the things I am confused about. "before turning inbound." Where exactly are you considered to be turning inbound? By what you are saying, it sounds like you are not really heading towards that station, or 'inbound,' until after you pass through a 360 heading on a parallel entry, right? I guess that would make sense. In that case I would agree with you. Your bearing pointer would be something slightly south of a 270 bearing i.e 265 or so. Maybe I am way off on this, but I always thought that once you begin the turn, you are turning inbound.

I guess that is one of the things I am confused about. "before turning inbound." Where exactly are you considered to be turning inbound? By what you are saying, it sounds like you are not really heading towards that station, or 'inbound,' until after you pass through a 360 heading on a parallel entry, right? I guess that would make sense. In that case I would agree with you. Your bearing pointer would be something slightly south of a 270 bearing i.e 265 or so. Maybe I am way off on this, but I always thought that once you begin the turn, you are turning inbound.

You guys are reading way too much into this question. They just want to make sure you draw out your holding pattern correctly. If you are outbound on the 090 radial, that means the Head of the bearing pointer will be on 270. You are "on" the radial. The drift could be 30 degrees, but you are still "on" the radial and the head of the BP will point at the station "right before you turn inbound." It didn't ask what it will be as you are turning inbound or when you finish the outbound turn. It is asking for it "before" you turn inbound. Maybe my simplified military brain is missing something!

Don't get too wrapped around the axle about it. Thankfully, they are multiple choice questions.

On a different note....Anyone have an interview on 5 Sep? If so, PM me and maybe we can compare notes the night prior.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back